Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bowling Green , Ohio
Outdoor winter storage in Ohio

This will be our first winter with our new AS sitting out in the weather unoccupied, and I don't want to find in the spring that something awful has happened. Will the mattress and dinette seats be ok to leave in the trailer without heat? Should I store all of the bedding and just leave the mattress uncovered? Should the mattress and cushions be brought indoors?

We did the RV antifreeze steps and all is taken care of in that regard.

Karterlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Don't you wish it was WARMER here in OH so that you could use it year 'round?
We take the linens home but leave the mattress and the seat cushions there.
Be sure to leave the fridge and freezer doors ajar.
Best of luck with your new baby!!!

Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Winter camping

Welcome Karterlin, We use ours once in awhile in the winter if there is no salt on the road and also for some driveway "dry" camping. So the linens are put inside of pillow slips and stay in the trailer. Mattresses and seat cushions won't be harmed by cold. We do pull the blinds to limit the sunlight (what sunlight???LOL) and keep it from fading the fabrics left in there. I leave an old spread on the couch to keep it from fading/dirt/wear and tear. We blow out the lines and use antifreeze. Carry ALL of the canned and other food goods out of the trailer. You don't want those little "micey" feet in the cupboards, so remove anything that they could eat or shred for mouse bedding. There are other threads on the forums that discuss how to mouse proof it. The flat screen television will come out and be used in the house. Larry and I leave a variety of clothing in there all winter...just in case of an emergency (fire/emergency trip). So far we haven't had any troubles.
In the spring we try and find a really nice dry day to air the trailer out thoroughly and get the mattresses and etc. out into the sunshine. Makes everything smell nice and fresh!
Hope to see you down the road! Larry and I are hoping to keep camping into November...maybe wishful thinking!
Lou and sunny (for the moment) LaGrange, OH
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
We also live in Northern Ohio...Our Airstream is in our back/side yard with electric access and in addition to all of the winterizing --blow out the lines and put antifreeze in the lines, and Black and grey tanks and all traps (I just drain the hot water and fresh water tanks)-- I run a oil filled electric heater and a running 24/7 tower type ,fan on for circulation of air... I also have the furnace on for those winter days when the electric oil heater can't keep up.... I try to keep the temp around 50 degrees...We use probably 4 or 5 40lb propane tanks a winter and I don't have a clue what the electric costs...I take most freezable things out of the outside compartments -- leave the refrig doors proped open and the bathrrom door proped open -all cabinet doors open.. I hate mildew and musty smells....We have done this on two airstreams and while I won't say ,my way is the best way, it has worked so far...It is usually early to Mid December before we winterize (we are off to FLA for a while as soon as the Court releases someone from Jury Duty) so essentially we are only worrying about 3 and a half months and I keep a pretty close watch on it..Hope this might be of some help....
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey

To keep mice out, place moth balls in "strategic" locations. I place some in the step "slot" that could be used by mice to get into the trailer. I put moth balls or flakes into a 35 mm film canister with holes in it which I can then remove easily if we want to go camping. I have used this method for many years and it has kept mice out of the trailer, wolf
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I used to live on the east side of Cleveland. I never ran the furnace unless I was inside doing something. Left all the cushions and stuff inside. Never had a problem. But the mice did come. You should see them jump out of the back bumper when you move it!

Mice do not seem to be a problem here in Florida. I think it is too hot for them!
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
Another Ohio Newbie

I am about to blow out all of my lines to "winterize" my Airstream. However, I am planning on taking it down to the Florida Panhandle in late November and am wondering if I should put antifreeze in prior to late November. How involved is the process and how difficult will it be to flush it all out? In other words, can I wait until after Thanksgiving to add the antifreeze? This is southern Ohio and a sustained freeze is possible in the next month.

TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote

unheated winter storage