Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Options for semi-permanent security in remote area?

Without going into too much detail - My friend and I have airstreams and we are sharing a 12 acre rural, wooded property about 20 minutes out of town. It is a boondocking property off a lightly traveled county road. It is fenced but we share access road with both a full time homestead and a oil and gas company, ie. we can't just lock down the property, without significant investments in better fencing and gates.

We would like to be able to leave our AS at the property for extended periods of time and minimize the risk of theft.

We are using chastity locks and hardened quality hitch locks. I don't want to go to the hassle of removing wheels every time we leave the property.

How else can I protect the AS from being hauled off? I'm definitely trying prevent the crimes of opportunity and keep the more determined criminals from having an easy time.

I thought about pouring a concrete block with a ball hitch on the end of it that I can hitch to and lock that way, but there are downsides to that. Has anyone come up with a security solution that balances security and ease of in-out?

Thanks for any input.
JitneyBead
JitneyBead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
What about a wheel boot like the ones used for parking violators?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Trimax TWL100 Ultra Max Adjustable Wheel Lock Immobilizer Boot | eBay
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
If it's going to be for extended time periods, why NOT just remove the tires? Couple of other thoughts come to mind. First, rather than your concrete "hitchin' post" , how about a couple of concrete piers in the ground, with a stout rebar loop recessed into the top to limit hacksaw access. Heavy duty cable or chain around the A frame, and a would be thief will have their work cut out for them. Also, if your AS is a tandem axle, I'd think you could get some of those expanding chocks, the type that fit between the tires, and rig them so they can be secured with a lock.

Another idea, rather than improving the fencing for the whole property, would it be possible to create a smaller fenced compound for your trailers? I used that method when our AS lived on some property we used to have, although I was more concerned with keeping out cows than people . Good luck.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If a pro wants your trailer or its contents there is nothing you can do to stop them. At best you can make it inconvient and hope they are too lazy to try to by pass your efforts. Buy good insurance and hope you never have to file a claim.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I think a boot/clamp, with a wheel lock/lug nut... is probably the way to go.

I know a determined pro would not be deterred by a chastity lock, but I think that, plus a boot lock supported by a lug lock to prevent the tire from being removed without the key would be practically secure.

I do like Daves idea for a buried block with recessed rebar. Weak point there would be the chain/cable. So if they're able to cut the chastity, they'll be able to cut any chain/cable too.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
How about you hook up a second emergency brake switch under the trailer, out of sight. Run the cable to a rod in the ground. If the trailer is moved the brakes will come on full force. Few crooks would figure that out. It would eventually kill the battery but you would still have a trailer.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I recently bought a 1963 Tradewind, after going up to do the inspection we went up the following week to pay for it and pick it up. It was only then that I realized I totally missed something in my primary inspection. It was missing the front hand jack completely..nothing there but a busted off bolt in one of the holes. Luckily we had a large jack with us and were able to lift it and drop it on to our hitch. But I kind of like the security of that little bit of extra amount of work for someone to acquire it from me.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
After securing it to the best of your ability get a few trailcams and strategically place them. If you can't stop them you can at least teach them this sort of behavior comes at a price once the authorities get their pictures. I would be more worried about vandalism and mice and not so much about theft. Good luck!! Insurance is a must but not sure how an insurance company feels about leaving an asset unprotected in the woods. Might be a question worth asking before there is a claim.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
How about you hook up a second emergency brake switch under the trailer, out of sight. Run the cable to a rod in the ground. If the trailer is moved the brakes will come on full force. Few crooks would figure that out. It would eventually kill the battery but you would still have a trailer.
That's devious as hell! I love it.

I agree that mice are the main concerns with this one. And vandalism maybe. I'm going to go with wheel chock/boot locks plus the regular deterrents.

As for deer cams, I don't want to work that hard or have to think about it once they're in place. Although I wouldn't mind catch ghost or chupacabra activity.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Try to get someone to stop by occasionall at varying times. Thieves usually stake out an area. Coming and going at regular times are a gift to them. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
SPIKE the grassy area ahead of the hitch with sharpened re-bar. I'm saying at least 40-50 on the approach that the TV would back into. Photograph the area with a reference point for future removal. Fertilize the area well and keep it cut with a weed eater just enough to conceal your work.
That would be my first warning. The "Boot" and adjusting the brake shoes into the full stop position would supplement the spikes.

Legal disclaimer: booby traps are illegal in Arkansas and most other places. Make sure that you have NO TRESPASSING signage on BOTH sides of the road, at eye level, leading to your AS.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Kansas couple seeking return of stolen Airstream | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star

A vintage Airstream was stolen this week in Kansas City, parked overnight, unattended, in front of a shop that had done some work on the counters. I wouldn't leave anything I owned in front of that shop and expect it to be there the next day. The owner had a lock on the ball but a lot of good it did. This reinforces my thinking that the storage location is more important than any other factor in securing our Airstreams.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
There is a pretty cheap GPS model on Amazon. It can send you a text if the trailer is moved, and there are plenty of places to hide it in the trailer, and even give it a secondary battery if the main batter is disconnected. One thing that is neat about this setup is that you can track the trailer, and even send a signal to it to activate an alarm, or one thing I was considering, is sending a signal to the electric brakes through a relay. That way, say you saw that your trailer was on the move, you could basically lock the brakes at a stoplight, giving you and the cop time to get to it.

A smart theif would cut the brake wires, and unhook the battery, but that would take time. Either way, the GPS would allow you to pretty much pinpoint the location.

$45.00 seems like a pretty cheap insurance to me.
Amazon.com: AFUNTA Vehicle Car GPS Tracker 103B With Remote Control GSM Alarm SD Card Slot Anti-theft Realtime Spy Tracker GPS103B TK103B for GSM GPRS GPS System Tracking Device: Electronics
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Oh, I like that one.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The trailer was found!!

http://www.kctv5.com/story/29333370/...tte-county-lot
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote