Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Oh no!!!? I messed up, I think....badly.

We just relocated from Texas to spokane and with the move and all..over 2,000 miles and three trips later....my head hasn't been on straight. So me being the wise one, I ran a heater into the airstream for days below 32 degrees. Well on most days during the day it would get over 45 degrees...so I turned the heater off. Well last night it got below 27 degrees. I turned the heater on the day before...but didn't turn the heat part of the fan on.

So this morning I tried to turn on the water ....faucets are frozen shut. All of them...kitchen,shower and bath.

So my question is....is it possible to get through this without leaks or busted lines?

I know should have winterized...should have blown out the lines, shoulda left the faucets open....etc....I know, I know........

Just asking for speculations so I can get me head around it for next spring.

Thank you,

Be nice...

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would open up all the interior access points possible and crank the heater all the way up. Hopefully it will be enough to defrost your trailer. Just guesing this might work, I really have no idea. Hopefully you will not end up with lasting damage. Good Luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
We just relocated from Texas to spokane and with the move and all..over 2,000 miles and three trips later....my head hasn't been on straight. So me being the wise one, I ran a heater into the airstream for days below 32 degrees. Well on most days during the day it would get over 45 degrees...so I turned the heater off. Well last night it got below 27 degrees. I turned the heater on the day before...but didn't turn the heat part of the fan on.

So this morning I tried to turn on the water ....faucets are frozen shut. All of them...kitchen,shower and bath.

So my question is....is it possible to get through this without leaks or busted lines?

I know should have winterized...should have blown out the lines, shoulda left the faucets open....etc....I know, I know........

Just asking for speculations so I can get me head around it for next spring.

Thank you,

Be nice...

Shane
Shane.

Only time will tell how much damage. Frozen water lines or faucets stretched because of the frozen water expansion, would seldom, if ever, not show some damage.

Keeping a furnace going is the only way, short of "winterizing" of protecting the water system, including the water heater tank, water tank, holding tanks etc.

Andy
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
A big goof up is having your Airstream land on its roof....

With that being said, you need to get everything thawed out. Heat it up, open all the cabinets to help with warm air flow. Leave all the faucets open as you thaw.... leave the pump off, and make sure warm air can get to it, your accumulator, and any pump strainer.

When you have it warmed up, only then can you see if there has been any damage!

If you have split a fitting or cracked a line, keep an eye out for leaks, and certainly catch the drips.

When weather permits, hook up to city water and inspect for leaks aside from the onboard pump.

If the Airsteram gods are with you maybe you'll be lucky and escape with little or no damage... this will be your one and only freeze goof!

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I would open up all the interior access points possible and crank the heater all the way up. Hopefully it will be enough to defrost your trailer. Just guesing this might work, I really have no idea. Hopefully you will not end up with lasting damage. Good Luck.
Thank you..I opened up all the cabinets a week ago.....just forgot to turn the heat part on.

Thank you.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If anything is broken, it will probably be the water pump and strainer, the water filled lines in the toilet, the water filter itself, and maybe the faucets. Possibly the p traps, but usually they are not the first things to break. The pex should expand in the fresh water lines to keep them from breaking.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Here is a rule that everyone uses.
The first time is a free play just like *ex.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post

Thank you,

Be nice...

Shane
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Shane, don't feel bad. My trailer went into storage last week - I know I winterized all of the lines and the waste tanks...but did I remember to drain the fresh water tank (after I refilled it to use during Hurricane Sandy)? I'll be visiting it this weekend...

I hope there isn't much damage in your trailer.

Tom
Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Shane

Is your trailer plumbed with PEX? If so, it is fairly freeze tolerant. My concern would be at the fittings and the pump. Also, you would have to be at 27 degrees for a considerable amount of time to get a "solid" freeze, I would think.

BTW, it is 75 in SA this week. No freeze for us. Good luck, hope it turns out well for you.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You sorta need to get your head around it now instead of next spring. I would expect it to survive 27 but am not sure. Get it thawed and check for leaks. Fix any leaks. Then winterize it with the pink stuff. Drain the WH and the FW tank. Drain the holding tanks. The propane furnace does the best job of keeping it from freezing.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
It is surprising to me that you had pipes freeze at 27 degrees when it was just for eight hours or so (nighttime). That makes me worry about my plans for not winterizing in the Atlanta area. It often gets below freezing during the night here and warms up in the daytime. I had thought we could go unheated down to 20 degrees as long as it warmed up during the day. Our nearly unheated metal building cabinet shop can get down to 15 without pipe problems and then just a frozen copper elbow that thaws out with a heat gun.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Electric Heater I use in winter

I leave a marine cabin heater on in my trailer, comes on when the temps drops near freezing.

WEST MARINE Portable Cabin Heater at West Marine
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Absolutely possible, but you will not know until the system thaws out. We hit 24 degrees this past weekend while I was out of town picking up a new rig. The heat was off; the lines were slushy but there was no damage. We usually see damage in the P-traps, or the toilet flow valve.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Sometimes the pex and drains will absorb the expansion when the water freezes. Most of the damage is done when the lines thaw out. See if you can get in there and disconnect as many fittings as you can easily access + put drip pans or towels underneath... gently / slowly thaw with lots of airflow via fans to open access points.
Good luck; we are 200 miles east of you.