Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Taylorville , Illinois
No Water Heater Bypass...

hello all, We're in the process of our 1st time winterizing a 64 Overlander. We're pretty sure we have NO bypass for our Water Heater. (Looked all over, can't find anything, so we're assuming there are no valves for bypassing.)
We also have no time to install a bypass right now, we have to be in storage in a couple days. We did find the low point cold-hot drains. We did find the water heater drain. The drain from the fresh holding tank is locked up and will not open, so we have no way of draining the tiny amount left. Will this really hurt??

Is it ok to let antifreeze go into the Water Heater??
( From what I've read it is ok, just takes alot of jugs of antifreeze to fill the system. correct?)

If the above is correct, I'd rater not use 20 gallons of antifreeze if not really necessary. Is blowing out w/ compressed air at 40psi and then leave everything empty sufficient?? Or should I break down and buy a huge amount of antifreeze? I see some peoplejust doing the air, then others do the antifreeze. Im in central Illinois, pretty cold area.

and just to make sure Im correct, I blow the compressed air in thu the city water line, right?

thanks.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
blowing out may remove all the water but don't count on it. Anti-freeze in the lines is you best bet. anti-freeze in the heater should not harm it as long as you flush before using. There should be a drain plug in the heater. drain all the water and when ready for spring drain all the anti-freeze.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
On my first A/S I bought a bypass kit, but it didn't really fit. I didn't want to use 6 gallons of antifreeze, so I just disconnected the inlet and outlet to the water heater and clamped some tubing in between those lines - real simple.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie
hello all, We're in the process of our 1st time winterizing a 64 Overlander. We're pretty sure we have NO bypass for our Water Heater. (Looked all over, can't find anything, so we're assuming there are no valves for bypassing.)

We also have no time to install a bypass right now, we have to be in storage in a couple days. We did find the low point cold-hot drains. We did find the water heater drain. The drain from the fresh holding tank is locked up and will not open, so we have no way of draining the tiny amount left. Will this really hurt??

Is it ok to let antifreeze go into the Water Heater??
( From what I've read it is ok, just takes alot of jugs of antifreeze to fill the system. correct?)

If the above is correct, I'd rater not use 20 gallons of antifreeze if not really necessary. Is blowing out w/ compressed air at 40psi and then leave everything empty sufficient?? Or should I break down and buy a huge amount of antifreeze? I see some peoplejust doing the air, then others do the antifreeze. Im in central Illinois, pretty cold area.

and just to make sure Im correct, I blow the compressed air in thu the city water line, right?

thanks.
You can bypass the water heater by simply connecting the inlet to the out let by means of a piece of hose or double hose barb or something relatively simple. The bypass valves are just for ease if you want to take the time and put them in.

Yes it is ok to put anti-freeze in the water heater but it will take approximately two to three more gallons than the capacity of the water heater. $$$$$

Make sure you add 1 to 2 cups of antifreeze to all the traps and do not forget about the spray hose for the toilet and sink if you have one.

Yes you will have to go to Home depot or Hardware and put to together an adapter that will screw into 3/4 npt hose fitting with the proper inlet fittin gfor your air hose or valve stem which ever you prefer.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote