Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, my answer IS what you meant. Set the regulator at 30 psi with the air gun wide open at the hose end, i.e. 30 psi at the nozzle.

As an engineer, I have often been accused of making my answers more complicated than they need to be, so I thought I would experiment with using non-technical terms. Guess it didn't work this time. Should have stuck with the technical term.
OK - sorry for the laymen's question but this is my first time using my air compressor. Are you saying that when you set the pressure using the pressure control knob on the air compressor that you can set the pressure either 1) while the output nozzle is closed or 2) when you have opened up the output nozzle fully so no air is trapped inside the hose? My understanding is that an air compressor has a tank that fills up with backloaded air pressure and that the knob on the tank controls the pressure of the output. I did not know that you could set the pressure of the output with either the hose open or closed at the time of setting.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the things I do is to always have a water valve open when I apply air pressure to the system. This allows me to use a higher pressure but I never completely close the water system off while the compressor is applying pressure. So once an outlet is blowing air, I move to the next outlet, open it up and then close the one that was previously opened. My dealer's air source is 90 psi and he blows out lines all the time. This was his technique that he uses. It gives you lots of air volume to get the lines dry.

Personally I have a tank compressor that has a max pressure of 120 psi. I usually set my tank pressure to 60 psi and as a safety just to make sure I've leave no residual water, I pump antifreeze through the water system via the freshwater pump inlet.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
OK - sorry for the laymen's question but this is my first time using my air compressor. Are you saying that when you set the pressure using the pressure control knob on the air compressor that you can set the pressure either 1) while the output nozzle is closed or 2) when you have opened up the output nozzle fully so no air is trapped inside the hose? My understanding is that an air compressor has a tank that fills up with backloaded air pressure and that the knob on the tank controls the pressure of the output. I did not know that you could set the pressure of the output with either the hose open or closed at the time of setting.
There is always a pressure loss from the tank regulator to the end of the hose. Longer the hose, the greater the loss. Same principle for water pressure and electricity (pressure = voltage with electricity, however).

When painting with compressed air, you always measure the desired pressure with the gun open. (with suction feed guns) for this very reason.

IMO, this is not nearly as critical with blowing the lines....just be aware, if you set it at 40 psi with the nozzle closed, you may not have enough pressure with the nozzle open to adequately remove the water.

Jack has it right, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone. This makes a lot of sense. Now off I go to do the job! Wish me luck.

That's one thing I love about the AS - always learning to do new things with it.