Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Charleston , South Carolina
Newbie storing questions

Hi all,
I have a 2018 Tommy Bahama Bambi, that is being stored outside our house in Tucson AZ. We aren’t going to be using it for a few months at least and I’m wondering what I should do with the batteries. Just disconnect the negatives? Also how critical is sun protection. It is hot as hell here. Any additional storing tips are appreciated but know that I’m not super electrically savvy.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Definitely disconnect the batteries as there will be loads in the trailer that will drain and ruin your batteries in short order. Even if the battery disconnect switch is off.

You’re right that the sun can be murder on the AS. You should cover the tires as UV can deteriorate the tires as well.

If there’s any reasonable way to get it under cover, that would be best. Don’t put a tarp over it, as the tarp will rub against the AS finish and scratch it up.

I hope that helps.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agreed: if there's any way you can get that trailer stored under a roof instead of out in the blasting Tucson summer sun, it would be very helpful to your Airstream. Enclosed building isn't necessary or even advisable for where you are unless it's also climate controlled (e.g. cooler than ambient), but getting it out of the sun when you're not camping in it would be a huge win.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, disconnect the negatives. And yes, a cover really helps preserve the coach.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Rent a secure storage space that's covered. UV rays from the sun will deteriorate all the plastic and rubber parts of your AS, costing you more in the long run than your storage fees.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Not just UV damage. In extreme cases (e.g. Tucson or Phoenix in summer), the heat from the sun can also cause various glued things to start coming apart. Again, in extreme cases, it's not impossible for laminates to de-laminate as the glue melts in the extreme heat.

Also, just to be clear, whatever cover the Airstream is under while in storage must never come in contact with the trailer's skin. Some RV owners will cover their rig with a tarp, which keeps out the weather. Sadly, that tarp moving against the Airstream's skin would sand it and cause nasty-looking abrasions on the skin. So, the best cover is some kind of roof above your Airstream that ensures your trailer is always in the shade. That shady roof can be solid, canvas, or whatever, as long as it's suspended above your trailer and never comes in contact with it. Since you're in Tucson anyway, it might be fun to stop by the Lazy Day's KOA there. At this campground they have erected a gigantic solar array, and folks camp under it for the shade. Heck, they probably charge extra for the shady spots!

To be perfectly honest, the best protection for your Airstream from Arizona's summer heat is to go camping somewhere cooler. That's what those wheels are for.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's rare, but things like hail storms *do* happen. If a big one catches your trailer out in the open ... that's not good. In some areas sand and other blowing debris can be an issue as well.

Re-caulking the roof is not a cheap thing. Since it's a lot of hassle on the roof, most have it done by somebody. Keeping out of the sun (and in some places rain / snow) extends the life of the caulking. Where we live, enclosed storage is $100 a month. That's cheap compared to doing the caulking every two years.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2018 Tommy Bahama Bambi, that is being stored outside our house in Tucson AZ. We aren’t going to be using it for a few months at least and I’m wondering what I should do with the batteries. Just disconnect the negatives? Also how critical is sun protection. It is hot as hell here. Any additional storing tips are appreciated but know that I’m not super electrically savvy.
Yes, as others have mentioned, disconnect the batteries. You’ll want to maintain them so they’ll be ready for your next trip.

Pulsetech offers battery chargers/maintainers that also desulfates battery plates extending the life of your batteries.

They just released a solar version too. Primary customers are the military and commercial users.

I have their X2 Dual unit that charges\pulses two batteries independently.
https://www.pulsetech.net/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC29E4CC-4D9C-45F7-AF77-9D252DCD8161.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	343661  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Charleston , South Carolina
You like these X2s over Battery Tender? And why? Gf is telling me BT has better reviews and is cheaper
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You like these X2s over Battery Tender? And why? Gf is telling me BT has better reviews and is cheaper
Bash, I don’t have any experience with the Battery Tender so can’t compare them. However, I went with the X2 because of the pulse technology which extends the battery life plus it charges both independently.

PulseTech units are used by commercial and military and have great reviews about reviving and extending battery life.
https://www.pulsetech.net/our-techno...echnology.html

Honestly you cannot go wrong with either.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote