Old 11-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
New vinyl carport

We hit the after-turkey-day sales and picked up a 12 X 25 Variflex Moto-Shade vinyl carport for the Caravel. Total cost was about $200, and that inculded the wall and end pieces, so when it's done being assembled the Caravel will be completely enclosed in there.

This probably won't work for anyone with an AC unit on top, but the Caravel fits in just fine. Here it is being test fitted.

We had one of these a couple years ago, but we stole it to use as a llama shelter when we built the shop (it was in the way while the shop was being built anyway). Thursday I was emptying the water out of the trailer and noticed the floor was wet from a leak, so I decided we needed to get another shelter put up for it ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carport.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	28999   Click image for larger version

Name:	carport2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	29000  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We hit the after-turkey-day sales and picked up a 12 X 25 Variflex Moto-Shade vinyl carport for the Caravel. Total cost was about $200, and that inculded the wall and end pieces, so when it's done being assembled the Caravel will be completely enclosed in there.

This probably won't work for anyone with an AC unit on top, but the Caravel fits in just fine. Here it is being test fitted.

We had one of these a couple years ago, but we stole it to use as a llama shelter when we built the shop (it was in the way while the shop was being built anyway). Thursday I was emptying the water out of the trailer and noticed the floor was wet from a leak, so I decided we needed to get another shelter put up for it ASAP.
Where did you find it ?

Thanks Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steph
That's a good deal. We have been using them for covering our Airstream and lawn furniture for the winter. The suggested life span is 5 to 7 years on the ones I have and we found out this past week with the heavy rain and wind that it is 5 years.

Because I needed just a tad more height for my FC, and also because unlike yours which is nicely snugged up to the building, mine are stand alone and thus subjected to a lot of wind I had to find a better way to secure and raise them than the plastic feet that came with it.

You can extend the height by using additional tubing inside or outside of the pipes provided and I bought 8 foot fencing poles at Home Depot and cut them into 2' lengths which then gave me effectively an additional 18" in height. Put a bolt through them to secure and drilled extra holes every six inches to I could raise it and lower it as needed. We also bought the cement blocks used for a deck support and put the pipe through them and then slid a bolt through the bottom so it wouldn't pull through. The added weight of the cement posts keeps it pretty much in place regardless of the wind. Mine did not come with a door, only sides and a back and I believe that's how the wind was able to tear the roof on the one. The other is a year newer and seems to have better material, is fine. I will retarp the old one in the spring and for the winter ended up moving the trailer into the shop.

As a question did yours come with the manufacturers contact info to purchase replacement parts? I grenaded my paperwork years ago and am wondering if I can just purchase a replacement roof and a door.

Barry
Old 11-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Barry,

It's made by Variflex, toll free 1-800-248-5327 or 805-523-1590. They were very helpful when I contacted them before.

I know you can order replacement parts, because I put a new roof on the one I used for the llamas - right before the wind caught it and threw it over the fence, unfortunately. I had it tied down to pound-in fenceposts and it just slipped loose from one side and bent over the ones it stayed attached to. It bent the frame bad and completely destroyed it.

This one we have staked down the legs on the outside, and strapped the inside legs to the wall of the shop. I think because of having the shop next to it to break the wind it's going to be pretty sturdy. I think the trick is to keep them from moving around, that's when things start getting loose and out of control.

We bought it at Bi-Mart, which I think is only in the NW. It's one of those membership stores.

Here's the Caravel, all snug in it's new room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carport3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	29006  

Old 11-26-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Steph,

Your Caravel looks cozy in its new little home... Maybe we will look into it for our cars... our Bambi gets the garage...

Claudia
aka: Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Nice home for the Caravel

Hi Stef,
That sure looks like a great home for your Caravel.....hopefully we won't see any high winds soon.....but it looks like we're in for a brief snowstorm in the NW!
Also hope you find your leak source......I hear they can be pesky!
As you can see from our avatar......we are now vintage too (not as vintage as you in some ways.......but more in other ways )!
We need to get a winter rally scheduled soon....we're suffering from rally withdrawal symptoms already!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Since I live in a city with strict codes and park Chummy on the drive I know we could never use this at our home but I do have a question. Will the canopy hold up under a snow load?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Vinyl Carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Since I live in a city with strict codes and park Chummy on the drive I know we could never use this at our home but I do have a question. Will the canopy hold up under a snow load?
CK, Mine has held up for three winters now! The elastic bands on the flaps of the roof have suffered from weather and sun but otherwise it has held up well so far. I bought mine from a surplus warehouse for $20.00 and they threw in some extra parts they had laying around. I was able to extend all the legs 2 feet longer with those parts so the "Landshark" fits fine...even with the A/C unit on top. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Well Jim, you know this is just it's home between rallys Got anyplace special picked out? You know if the snow doesn't stop us, we'd be there!

Old 11-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Stefrobrts...thank you. We have a 20 ft GT with no air. We made a note of your 800 mumber and will call tomorrow. We are in New York State. Perhaps they will be able to arrange shipping? Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Stephanie, thanks for the info. I will call them Monday and order up a replacement cover. Boy, we are sure getting snowed under today. Unbelievable. Over 12"
Barry
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
The elastic bands on the flaps of the roof have suffered from weather and sun but otherwise it has held up well so far. . Ed
ED
I buy the replacement elastic bands at a local hardware/tool supply place in packages of 4 for $3. They are black instead of white but otherwise very good and seem a bit stronger/thicker than the originals. You may want to check around, possibly Home Depot or WalMart? In some of the critical areas I doubled up on them as well and that helped a lot.

Barry
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My new 12 X 20 'portable garage' arrived 3 days ago. It is for my convertible TV. The one I kept my convertible in last winter I extended to 28' and raised it a foot for the Tradewind. I made the 'extention' from the good parts of another 'garage' that collaspsed under snow 2 years ago. The garage that I just modified I also reinforced the roof areas by running 4 nylon ropes the length and 2 ropes per 4' section on the pitch. This garage has survived several 6" snowfalls in the past 6 or 7 years. But when I 'hear' snow falling I put on the boots and jacket and go out and push of any snow build-up from underneath. We also occasionally experience strong winter winds. Then I open the two ends of the garage to allow the wind to blow through. The first year that I had the garage I was home recovering from surgery and watched from my window my garage being blown nearly down the hill we live on. I had even staked it to the ground. The only thing that stopped it was my convertible inside. My neighbor was not as lucky. I had to call and tell him his garage was high up in my oak tree.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 AM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
try these folks, i believe they make silver colored snow rated canopies.

i have a 10x20 white one that has held up quite well, not in the snow however.

http://www.kingcanopy.com/

they are sold at sam's and costco.

john