Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
New Driveway - Good News Bad News

Note that I could not back further without contact - so a bit of elevation from the gutter and I think I’ll be golden. Or I hope

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Does the lift much change using the stabilizer jacks? Like on flatish ground? Like you don’t have to add something under them? Assuming just an extra few cranks.
Don't need anything under them for flatish ground. Just a few more cranks on the jacks. I do always have on me 4 or so leveling blocks that I can throw under the lower end of slopped ground for the occasions they can't reach. Just like one would to level the trailer side to side under tires.

There's no way with a lift kit that this won't clear. It opens up a whole world of accessibility and reduced worries about clearance and underbody damage. I like that my hitch head and WD bars are likewise higher up and match the clearance of my tow vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	314579
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Time for a re-do.

Hi, it seems as though your new driveway has a huge arch in it. From the street it should be flat but angled up slightly to your old section. [no arch needed]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . . and now some lumber to test it finally . . .

Looking forward to this . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #65
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You might pick up another inch of clearance if you switched your weight distribution hitch from a round bar setup to a square bar trunnion setup.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Attachment 314472

This was coming down from the pad...but maybe if the rain gutter was filled that would be enough....
Do you own the hedge beside the driveway? If so remove half of it and come across from that angle. It will be a better lead in into the driveway. That is what I do with mine. I cut across the driveway on an angle to prevent it from dragging.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Never, ever, have concrete work done while you're not home.
Notice the 3in step at the top of our porch stairs
Attached Images

matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsx View Post
Never, ever, have concrete work done while you're not home.
Notice the 3in step at the top of our porch stairs

Indeed

Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
You might pick up another inch of clearance if you switched your weight distribution hitch from a round bar setup to a square bar trunnion setup.

I don’t follow - I have a propride hitch and WD bars

Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Do you own the hedge beside the driveway? If so remove half of it and come across from that angle. It will be a better lead in into the driveway. That is what I do with mine. I cut across the driveway on an angle to prevent it from dragging.

Nope - I do not own it - my property line is right up against that hedge line - if it were not there that approach would be easier - although you will find that pulling out and leaving at that angle is quite a chore - you have to get near that point of bottoming and do a repetitive shimmy thing to move the angle of the tail end of the trailer and TV to pull out at that angle - total PITA

Thankfully - I can hug super close to the hedge and JUST clear with a linear shot out - for some reason going back in that “just” amount is even more marginal - it’s all so close that much depends on tiny nuances

Good news is in all cases right now my tires are in the rain gutter so I feel pretty confident now I’ll be fine - I think

Gonna grab some lumber at lunch today I hope and get home and try

To say I’m obsessed about this now is an understatement - it’s a flaw I have

I’m feeling more and more better about this all though - feels more and more like a near miss at this point

Lesson will be learned and I think I’ll have a functioning and attractive driveway at the end of this

If I had remembered Sunday night to loosen the WD jacks (usually I would) I think my panic would have been less as I would have reached the gutters that night

We shall see

Big thanks everyone again - y’all are like therapy for my nerves on this. Indeed lessons will be learned from this.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
In HD now - getting a 2x10 and will get this all checked out today - fingers crossed

Old 06-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	314671

With boards slightly above level of gutters - just barely clears. Like baaarrreeely - and my hitch buts didn’t contact either (they did a couple times before...

In talking to my other concrete buddy he sent me this message (photo)

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	314672

The concrete guy will be out here Friday morning to meet with me

Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
PharmGeek,

Not trying to butt in and not sure if you saw my previous post, but I had a similar problem after changing the bottom of my driveway (post # 55). I use a different hitch in my receiver going into and out of my driveway. It has no drop below the receiver (straight out) and no weight distribution bars hanging down (or connected). It stopped the rear of my trailer from dragging (as the weight distribution hitch tries to keep the trailer and truck on the same plane) and (or course), there are no bars to drag. Cheap solution, but you have to put the weight distribution hitch back on when you get out in the street and take it off before you go back into the driveway. Anyway, it worked for my situation.

Good luck.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
A concrete topping on the existing concrete will not stay in place. The thin edges will crack and crumble in no time. Eventually all of the topping will come up, even if a bonding agent is used.
Cut, remove, replace is the best way.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Attachment 314671

With boards slightly above level of gutters - just barely clears. Like baaarrreeely - and my hitch buts didn’t contact either (they did a couple times before...

Attachment 314672

The concrete guy will be out here Friday morning to meet with me
Ok...stop right where you are, put a Lynx right behind the AS tires...have the 'Concrete' guy buy them.😂😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
A concrete topping on the existing concrete will not stay in place. The thin edges will crack and crumble in no time. Eventually all of the topping will come up, even if a bonding agent is used.
Cut, remove, replace is the best way.

My buddy said the same thing - cut, remove, and replace about 4 feet worth should do the trick.

About changing the hitch - I did see your comment - are you familiar with the propride hitch? That is not easy to simply remove and put back on - - not an option

Btw - the WD bars now didn’t hit at all with the lumber so once we regrade - it should prove all good

- just have to see how the fix will play with my contractor and what he will agree to.

I haven’t ruled out the option of a lift kit either to be clear - gonna mull more about it.

Meeting the contractor on Friday

Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Just thinking out side the box... But I assume you have a pickup?

There are vehicles (usually SUVs) with on board height adjustment like I have that can dynamically raise or lower the vehicle to get a wee bit more clearance at the other end of the trailer. Like a see-saw. I use to play these tricks pre-trailer lift, but no longer. Now I just use it as a cheat when hitching or leveling at a campsite.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:19 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . .
His proposed modification over the gutter will dam up the water and create a problem. It is also probably ON CITY PROPERTY, so you should have your survey handy when you meet with him.

Why did you cut that 10' long 2x10 down to the short length which is under the tires? You did not accomplish the mock-up which would have informed a wise and complete solution IMO.

Here is Post #12 -- click on the orange arrow to go back there and read the entire thread again -- there seems to be a communication or some other problem here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
This should work for a test fit mock up IMO. I think I would start with longer planks, and a bit wider to give you some wiggle room. Maybe 2 2x10 10' long, with plenty of cut-offs to use as supports every 1/4 of the length. If you have any red bricks around, they would also work as supports.

If you can find any construction cedar 2x material [vs. CCA etc. pressure-treated lumber], you can use all the scraps as kindling for campsite fires, or in your Bonfire stove!

Really, this is getting ridiculous! About 6-8 people have made the same suggestion about using a longer plank as a test.

Why did you cut it down to that length? Are you intentionally trying to test everyone's patience?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Just thinking out side the box... But I assume you have a pickup?

There are vehicles (usually SUVs) with on board height adjustment like I have that can dynamically raise or lower the vehicle to get a wee bit more clearance at the other end of the trailer. Like a see-saw. I use to play these tricks pre-trailer lift, but no longer. Now I just use it as a cheat when hitching or leveling at a campsite.
Didn't you see the bottom pic in post 31? The truck height doesn't come into play here.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Pic in post 32 shows not enough dirt was removed so the poured concrete would be ground level, not grass level. Spacers above your axles will help you in other situations too.