Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Royse City , TX
New A/Sr in Dallas,, full winterization or?

We just bought our 2019 22fb in November and are concerned about freezing. I am wondering do I need to do the full winterization process or just empty and blow out the tanks? We do want to use this frequently/monthly or for weekend jaunts this winter.

Is emptying the tanks, turning the low point valves, emptying the hot water heater, blowing out the lines with compressed air and putting some rv anti freezer in the sink, shower and toilet enough? That sounds like 90% of winterization to me but is not all that hard to do after a weekend trip.

How many days in a row of freezing temps do we have to be concerned about? We live just outside Dallas and it does get freezing here.

Any thoughts and advise is great. Our a/s will be stored under cover at a storage facility but still outside, it does have electrical outlet though. Thoughts on a space heater.?

Thanks,

Michael & Sandy
1st timers, 2019 A/S 22FB
Just outside of Dallas, Texas
svnten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello Michael and Sandy, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new AS, may it bring you miles and miles of fun and adventure.

There are lots and lots of threads here on winterizing, just use the search tool near the top. As to whether or not you SHOULD do it, just consider the cost of frozen pipes or tanks. In technical terms, A LOT.

We have traveled into and out of cold temperatures in our AS. It's not a difficult thing to do, just check your owners manual. For the rest, use the search tool and join one of the many, many threads.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When I got my Airstream I thought i was an expert in winterizing because I had been winterizing boats in Illinois, CT, and then NC for over 30 years. Even in NC, my approach was not as thorough as it should have been because the Airstream has some freeze vulnerabilities that boats do not have. I doubt our climate here in coastal NC has heavier freezes than you do so my advice is do a serious job of winterizing, even though it is a pain to do again if you use your trailer throughout the cold months. Read the threads carefully on using air to winterize and getting ready to go on a trip is simple.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote