Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Need winter storage dehydration help

This is a question about winter storage dehydration to prevent too much moisture in my 32 foot Excella which is unheated and fully winterized so no moisture is developed from heating or use of freshwater system. There are no leaks for rain etc to enter. The tanks, all 3 of them, are empty and no water in any other vessels so no source of moisture other than humid air. Right now the humidity will continue to be high in a rainy part of Oregon where trailer is stored.

I have set up a system suggested by subsea, but I am only collecting a few drops of water:

Originally Posted by subsea in an earlier thread elsewhere in the forums.
"First post here. I have had great success with using Calcium Chloride to dry out interiors. I believe it's the same ingredient that damp rid is made of(minus perfumes). I buy a 50 lb bag for less than $20 and spread about a lb or two in a 20 liter Rubbermaid tote and watch the water collect. You will have to change daily if you are going in and out, but if I'm doing that, I'm running the ac. CC keeps the humidity a little lower than 50%"

I have seen all the suggestions about using an electric dehydrator which I will NOT be using, but thanks for those great suggestions.

Except for the next 5 days, I must store the trailer without electricity for 70 days before I will see the trailer again. I have not yet, but am thinking of running the air conditioner to dry the air during the next 5 days but then must turn off all electric. So will the air conditioner dry the inside air assuming the temps in and out of the trailer are varying between 30-50 degrees ? Or will the air cond coils freeze in cold weather

The trailer is in winter storage in Oregon and recent temps have been 20-40 degrees inside and outside trailer because I did not heat it. The vents are all closed to keep moist outside air out. I am not generating moisture inside by heating, cooking or using water system. The hygrometer inside the trailer is showing 80%. To to me that is a lot of water in the air as compared to 45% on the hygrometer at 72 degrees when I check it in my house.I know cold air holds more moisture than warm but I do not know the details. Why am I not collecting more water and will it improve in warmer temps inside the trailer? I can run a couple of space heaters but the temp will only get upto 50 or so.

I am using the suggestion above by subsea. But why is it not working for me? Maybe his temps are warm, but how warm does temp have to be before water will be pulled from the moist air?

I know my calcium chloride system of four 5 gallon buckets will not fill up in 60 days because only a few drops have been generated in 4 days now. And 4 such buckets is probably overkill. I am trying to determine what I am doing wrong. I will not be draining out through my drain system thanks to recent advice to avoid corrosion. I hope someone can refer me to a website resource where I can understand humidity and drying with the salt system. I did get a dehydrator from the thrift store (yes I am cheap) for $10 . But it would not collect water in cold weather of 20-40 degrees so I sold it for $100 for some guys grow room. I am not going to use electricity to heat or dehydrate. I must make the salt system suffice if possible. I must be in error or confused. What am I missing. Please Steer me straight
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
I wonder if you need air circulating in order to get the kind of absorption you're looking for?

http://usefulstuffonly.blogspot.com/...ifier.html?m=1
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote