Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We dumped the motorhome after one 7,000 mile trip - handling on the highway and country roads, simply awful. So bad (we both have CDLs, and have driven almost every type of vehicle on the road) I contacted the manufacturer, Newmar (one of the best) and told them why I sold it. To their credit an engineer called later and we spent a long time on the phone as i described what transpired, that and the fact the drivers seat was awful. In parking lots a motorhome is much easier than a towed vehicle. Rule is when making a turn when your butt is by the curb, sign, fence, car or whatever you are cleared to make the turn, works every time.

So, we are back in an AS, well not quite yet. Oh, at times the walkie talkies are mysteriously left at home, so, we resort to cell phones. Works even better, except I use the hands free in the truck and therefore people fifty feet away know I need to turn left, no wait right, stop and so on. Therefore, we now keep the set of talkies in the truck at all times.

Hope to see you all on the road soon. Once snow melts, back gets healed or fixed, we head to OBX, then a rally or two and then out to Washington, Oregon and CA with a stop at Glacier, Best Friends Animal Society in Utah and then eventually back home. Preliminary route is about 11,000 miles with not including sight seeing.

Be Well.

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Bud

I know what you mean about MH handling. Periodically some Class A manufacturer will seek us out because we don't sell motorized other than B's and just be beside themselves that we don't take on their line. Occasionally they will show up with a demo to test drive. I always wind up telling them the same thing "If this was a trailer and it handled this bad there is no way I would let it leave".

We get quite a few A's traded in and it is funny that I notice people will accept a level of handling in an A that they would never accept with a trailer.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have put quite a few front receivers on long tow vehicles. We usually install it on the right frame rail usually in place of a tow hook. This way when you are backing up in a straight line you can see down the door side of the Airstream from the drivers seat. You can only turn sharp to the right but that is usually not a problem. You can turn 90 degrees on the right side.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T
Hi Andy,
That's exactly what I'm hoping for: 90 degrees on the right would be great! Even if I do have to sacrifice a tow hook!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Andrew T, good info on the front hitch. Never would have considered one until your comment on mounting on the right tow hook. Thanks. Peace, jim
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We dumped the motorhome after one 7,000 mile trip - handling on the highway and country roads, simply awful. So bad (we both have CDLs, and have driven almost every type of vehicle on the road) I contacted the manufacturer, Newmar (one of the best) and told them why I sold it. To their credit an engineer called later and we spent a long time on the phone as i described what transpired, that and the fact the drivers seat was awful. In parking lots a motorhome is much easier than a towed vehicle. Rule is when making a turn when your butt is by the curb, sign, fence, car or whatever you are cleared to make the turn, works every time.

So, we are back in an AS, well not quite yet. Oh, at times the walkie talkies are mysteriously left at home, so, we resort to cell phones. Works even better, except I use the hands free in the truck and therefore people fifty feet away know I need to turn left, no wait right, stop and so on. Therefore, we now keep the set of talkies in the truck at all times.

Hope to see you all on the road soon. Once snow melts, back gets healed or fixed, we head to OBX, then a rally or two and then out to Washington, Oregon and CA with a stop at Glacier, Best Friends Animal Society in Utah and then eventually back home. Preliminary route is about 11,000 miles with not including sight seeing.

Be Well.

Bud
Bud,

Mohos don't appeal to me. But I hear some folks won't travel any other way. To each their own, I guess.

Wishing y'all great weather on your trip, and please thank Alice for my new mantra: "it will be fine, it will work".

Safe and fun travels to you all! Post and send pics if you have the inclination. Thanks again for the good humor and support.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #34
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I took delivery of my '15 Classic on 30 January, it replaced a '12 28' Intl CCD. Here's what I suggest regarding parking: WAIT until you get the trailer and have plenty of help, and time to observe how best to park it. I have a fairly straight driveway, around 40 ft long. Then I have a pair of electric gates that open to the ramp up to the Airstream shed. I knew that the extra 3 feet with my new Classic was going to be a challenge due to the sharp incline. It was. It was necessary to lift the rear of my Ram with blocks to raise the hitch high enough to clear. My expectation was that I'd need some ramps....and I've bought some 2x10's that I'll use to boost the rear of my truck, and a couple of extra's in case I want to reinforce them where the angle is the greatest. Oh, and when I get to the top of my ramp, my shed is 11 feet wide (the trailer is 8 1'2)....so I have to be "on the money". I learned how to do this with the 28...and will with the 30. It just takes time, GOING SLOW, and recognizing that all of us have unique parking situations. You'll figure this out just as I have...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
After bending the bracket on my Reese sway bar backing in to a tight Forest Service campground, I always take the bars off before I maneuver in reverse. Actually improves the handling in reverse.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
However in the light of risk management, I drove 70,000 miles with the bars on when reversing, so its a low risk, low frequency event. The longer you live, the more likely stuff happens to you!
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Hi Bud

I know what you mean about MH handling. Periodically some Class A manufacturer will seek us out because we don't sell motorized other than B's and just be beside themselves that we don't take on their line. Occasionally they will show up with a demo to test drive. I always wind up telling them the same thing "If this was a trailer and it handled this bad there is no way I would let it leave".

We get quite a few A's traded in and it is funny that I notice people will accept a level of handling in an A that they would never accept with a trailer.

Andrew T
Andrew

You are spot on. But, what makes the A handling even worse is the 4,000 pound Jeep we towed. The manufacturer stated in all publications that the unit could tow up to 5,000 pounds. We test drove a lot of them, up hills in Western PA etc. and it handled ok, not like a TV and AS, but acceptable. But we could not tow with a vehicle behind, and frankly you would think at our age and experience we would know better, but we did not. The towing with Jeep behind was a nightmare. As I've posted we both have CDLs, nothing, repeat nothing drove as poorly as a Class A, (high end) with a vehicle behind. So, we bit the bullet and went back to an AS. Now if winter ever ends we will be off.

Thanks, also thanks for your technical and insightful posts on this forum, much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
And don't be embarrassed about getting out to look as much as needed...especially on the "blind side". After a few times, you'll have a pattern that works and try to back from the direction that puts obstructions on the left side. After a while you'll wondered why you were fretting!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Hi Bud

Andrew T
Back in the late '90s, we borrowed my in-laws' Class C for a week. The kitchen and bath were in the rear, there was very little weight on the steer tires, and it was a handful - the worst-driving truck I've ever experienced. In fact, my wife tried driving it, and pulled over in less than a mile. She wanted no part of that.

Fast forward nine years, and we were towing the Airstream behind the Volvo S60. I think the first time she towed it was through Cincinnati on I-75, running 60 to 65 mph in the left hand lane and talking about how easy it was!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:06 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Many thanks to all who have commented. It's provided great info and tips that I will use. I'm going to most likely get a front receiver hitch, have already gotten some 2x8s cut to manageable size for stacking next to the curb, will practice maneuvers and configurations in parking lots, and will practice going in reverse with sway bars removed....and various configurations of the above. Oh, and if I’m really good, I may be able to swing a rear view camera.

It's been helpful asking and thinking about parking while waiting for the temps to rise. I know spring will come. The days are already getting longer and the sunlight is returning to a better angle.

In the meantime, didn't go to the Toronto RV show this weekend (actually it's still open Sunday March 1st starting at 11 AM), as I'd hoped. I was going to look at airstreams and catch a towing seminar given by Andy Thompson.

I want so much to look at a 2015 Classic, especially the rear queen, and ideally the chesnut ultraleather. Seeing is believing, and even though I've put in my deposit, it would be great just to get a look and some pics. A selfie or two.

Anyone know where there will be a show in the Northeast in the next 30 days or so? An airstream dealer attending, with a 2015 Classic would be ideal. This year's Classics seem to be very shy and very scarce.

Anyway, I've got the fever, have put down my deposit, and am feeling it will come, even if I have to wait to the end of the summer to get it, or even maybe get a 2016 if it messes up my summer camping schedule. My delivery date has been delayed, due I suppose to the west coast strike as well as the Jackson Center expansion disruptions, and I’ve still got hope it will be delivered in April.

How have those of you who've bought a new AS sight unseen delivered from the factory dealt with it? Besides posting incoherent rants on the forums?
Haha I bought one of those No-Room-for-a-table tables from Levenger's. I'm looking at hall runners and wall hangings! I'm nuts!

If I could dig out the driveway and street far enough actually I'd take my little beauty for a ride despite the ice and salt! OK, I admit I've been looking at country homes for sale with big barns, garages, and driveways with a great turning radius!! And I am a city girl who likes to camp out, and be outdoors, not a girl who likes to live even in the outskirts of town and especially not in the country! (try not to judge me; remember I'm sick with aluminitus!)

No I don't want pity--just exactly the support, facts, ideas, experiences, tough love, fun stories and odd memories you have provided. Thanks so much, airstream friends and family, for all your help!

I'll let you know how things develop. fingers crossed.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
We took delivery sight unseen from the factory on December 22nd. Unit arrived exactly as we had ordered it - 2015 - 30' FC with rear queen, two A/C, 1,000 W Inverter, two up front recliners, stove and oven with reg micro wave, 16' wheels and tires. Might be some others but I've forgotten. Dealership spent a day and a half going over every item, every appliance and every workable part, drained and winterized and we picked her up. They spent a long time going over the unit with us, even though this is our third.

The mechanics found nothing out of place and nothing wrong with the unit, all fittings were fine, all appliances worked etc. This, despite forum posts to the contrary, has been our history with our first new AS and one used one, our first. I think a tremendous amount has to do with the dealer and their technicians, as well as quality control at AS, which to me appears to be at a higher standard than others in the industry. Not to say some things may be wrong - these are made by people and people make mistakes, (I'e run factories in my work life and experienced mistakes daily).

In sum, we are very pleased with AS and the product produced and shipped, which I guess is obvious as it's our third and have had others in between which we were NOT pleased with.

Best of luck and ENJOY
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
You would not be the first to change homes to better accommodate your airstream lifestyle.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote