Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Canal Flats , British Columbia
Angry Motorhome..to cover up or not?

We may have to park our 1994 unit for a Canadian winter and we were wondering what would be worse....a good fitted cover up OR letting it sit out in the elements for 5 months? Inside storage is not an option.
patsy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We also have no indoor storage option at home. About the best one we've found is that our local RV service center has semi-enclosed sheds for a low monthly storage fee. They're not exactly enclosed but they are roofed. Otherwise I'd suggest a big tarp securely tied down, but just be careful yanking it off in the spring as it will want to snag on the roof mounts.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Congrats on the motorhome purchase?

You say a 1994 unit so I have to assume you did not buy that 98 Cutter? What size have you got?

Because of the freeze thaw cycle it is a must to have some type of protection from water damage that can happen overnight and do big $$$$ damage. If you cannot find covered storage, the fitted covers from CW/or other will work, or another option is the tarp from the local building supply store. If a tarp, buy a good quality and tie it down well if it is exposed to the wind.

Look into whether your local fairgrounds has a building that might house your motorhome. Many community fairgrounds have shelters that are unused in the off season.

Another thing to consider is some type of heat. It does not have to be warm, but should be constant to prevent moisture from condensation with the change of temp. throughout the winter.

You have a big investment there with the purchase, but it is going to require still more $ to maintain the value over your years of ownership.

It should not be parked on earth base if possible. If nothing else, purchase some of the stall mats used for the horse stables and lay them down for some type of protection from the ground moisture.

How about some pictures of you new toy?

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I would suggest no cover. We ruined a rubber roof and the side wall finish in several spots with a "fitted" and "well made" cover.

No matter how weel they are secured, they will move and rub.

Ours rubbed holes in the roof along the edge, where the rubber folds over to cover the walls.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Canal Flats , British Columbia
Several ideas out there. Thanks so much. Lots to consider. Anyone know how to attach an image in my profile?
patsy49 is offline   Reply With Quote