Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Moisture Meter , how do you?

I have a moisture meter and want to know what would be the acceptable % Moisture content of the floor should be or is there such a number?
How do you monitor your trailer 's floor for moisture? Do you take several readings along the perimeter as well as the center of the floor ,log that info and return say in a couple weeks time and compare the results ?
Is there a acceptable % of moisture in the floor at all times .

The unit I have is a EXTECH M0210. It is a OK unit employs pins .
One thing I don't like about it is you can't take a reading and hold it. You need to take a reading on the floor with the display upside down. Poor ergonomics here .
Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I always compare to a dry piece of pine plywood I keep in a dry garage. The moisture content is relative to the humidity of the air. I find 5 - 6% is pretty normal during summer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Expect higher in very high humidity conditions and lower in arid environments.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I use this one (Amazon, about $30) because the probe is on the coiled cable and I can reach into tight spots and still read it. I sharpened the probes so they go easily through the vinyl floor covering into the plywood subfloor.

I probe around the interior perimeter wherever I can reach. I open the outside storage hatchess and there is a little bit of gap between the aluminum diamond plate and the inside shell; probe the plywood there. Likely spots are below entrance door sides, below windows, and below awning support arms.

This meter needle will move about half way across by touching my dry finger. If I see any movement at all probing the floor I am very suspicious of a leak. Will pull the plastic baseboard screws, lift the vinyl edge to investigate and monitor to see if it drys out in a day or two. If the needle moves more than half way there is unwanted water and I look above the area for a leak, and seal.

The other source of high moisture at the perimeter is condensation dripping down the surface or between the aluminum walls. Could be from the windows. Most likely to happen in cool, very moist or rainy weather, especially if cooking or showering. If it happens, monitor it with the meter to ensure it dries out in a couple of days, or lift the vinyl edge to help it dry. Never leave it wet for a long time.

Not much point in probing the center areas, except under the shower door and near the toilet. Watch for plumbing leaks.

A good time to probe is after a long, heavy downpour, especially wind driven. I probe once a quarter along with my other corrosion and sealant inspections and system operational checks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	715X0DVMV0L.gif
Views:	124
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	255502  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Thanks guys for the tips . Doug like that simple moisture meter you have, with the extension probes . Keep It Simple eh.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:49 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

KISS.....me too.

Bob
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure what the KISS is all about for a particular meter. This is no more complicated, locks in your reading, and gives actual percentage readings instead of an ambiguous scale reading. A corded probe would be nice, but with locked in reading, not really necessary. But...to each their own.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-...2514860&sr=1-3