Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
MICE,,, moved in

Hello A$ friends..

Got the 72 Overlander all winterized and parked for the winter.. Went out the other day and saw signs of mice every where. The past 2 winters I had no problems.. I cant even think how they can get it since the bottom is all sealed up proper. I felt it might be the safety chain was hanging down but put it up the moment I saw the mouse problem.

Had a packet of 3 of the plug in "nose makers" I got for Xmas a few years ago so I plugged 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the kitchen along with one in the bedroom area.. I have done a sudden inspection and have not seen any after a weeks time with the plug in noise makers..

I need to clean up all the little mouse berries that are all over the floor to make sure but hate to go to that effort if they are still camped out..

Anyone have luck with the rodent repellers like I got? Or am I being to hopeful?

Daniel

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I think you will find that like deer repellant, mouse repellant is very much of a hit or miss thing. I would try different things but have some good old fashioned traps set up in the trailer so you can see if your particular repellant is working. I would think that checking the traps would be a more satisfying way to see if there is a continued infestation than counting mouse poop!

As to your original question about the anti-rodent sound machines, I have one in my car garage and have never had a mouse problem in there. Of course, we don't store food in there so that may be part of the answer.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
I need to clean up all the little mouse berries that are all over the floor to make sure but hate to go to that effort if they are still camped out..
Go to the effort. Clean out the mouse-berries that are already there, then if you see any more you'll know you still have mice. If you don't clean them up, how will you notice new ones?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Go to the effort. Clean out the mouse-berries that are already there, then if you see any more you'll know you still have mice. If you don't clean them up, how will you notice new ones?
Trap them!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If stored in side, take mouse bait bars throw around on floor inside of building. I have done this for years in barn & machine shed where I store AS in winter. I find dead mice all over but so far no critters in AS. Also I put a small throw away bowl with decon in AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Trap them!
Well, of course. But smart mice that avoid the traps still leave droppings.

That said, I've had excellent luck with these traps…
Covered Mouse Trap (192000027) from D-Con Ultra Set at Ace Hardware
baited with peanut butter. Because of the design, it's impossible for a mouse to reach the bait without setting off the trap. And since mice also like to explore small dark spaces, these traps are doubly appealing to them.

But wear disposable gloves while setting the traps as well as when cleaning out the traps. Despite peanut butter being aromatic enough to cover most other odors, if you leave human scent on the traps, mice can tell.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Great reply's

I know,, been lazy,, but mostly farming from daylight till dark the past 4 weeks... I need to clean up the mouse mess and start from that point..

But I can see,, to do the job right and up to my DEAR wife's level will become a all day event. Ugh!

I think I will dig out some of my good old spring loaded head knockers and bait with peanut butter and find the late winter field mice looking for a warmer place to hide out.. I will have more time for daily clean up from next week forward..

Just makes me sick to see our "home" invaded like this.. I would better battle them in our house than the A$..

Daniel

Old 10-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have found that mothballs work pretty well. You can put them inside in drawers and hidy places, but then you have to remove them in the spring. The smell will last for months, so I quit putting them inside.

I put several boxes of mothballs scattered under the trailer, especially around wheels, jack, and places mice might gain entry.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Put sheets of Bounce fabric softener all over in your trailer. They hate the smell & won't come back. Really. It works. Use an entire box.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
sodbust, you have likely already sealed up the front of your frame rails under your coupler. These 5" square open channels are great openings for mice to invade your Airstream. And you have probably sealed up your bumper storage cover. Another great place to enter. Every propane line through the belly pan is another mouse hole. And check your wheel wells. My trailer had a little gap there.

Plugging holes and setting traps are good battle tactics. And so is a big ol cat!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I have been using the dryer sheets for years and have not had a mouse problem yet. I put them in every cavity I can find. What I do not use I leave in the box open and sitting a counter. Use a fragrance you like, it will keep the trailer from smelling musty till spring.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Used drier sheets in tractors and trucks for a few years,seemed they got use to them and were building nests from them and gave up with that idea..

Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would get some of the 'sonic' devices.. plug in several of them.

Is it possible the mice were already in the AS or is this all 'new'?

Whatever you do, do NOT put bait inside the AS.. outside, perhaps.. but not inside... they are already partying in there...

It may be time to install a 'mouse trap' inside.. there are some cool and sick designs on youtube.... really.. they drop into water and drown before they can chew their way out..

This can really become a winter hobby while you are waiting to camp...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
The sonic plug-in do work, and even better is to purchase and use two different brands and plug-in. I had a colony in my house and out buildings for the first few years (old farmhouse) we lived here and I rarely find evidence anymore. As backup we also have Rat Zapper, electric shock kill units (can be found on Amazon) that are battery powered, kills rats and mice... And chipmunks... (We've gotten a few). Works with a few pieces of dog kibble inside. Easy clean up, just switch unit off, empty/tip unit and dead thing will slide out into bag or garbage. Set new kibble inside, put unit back in place and switch on. I've also read that Mice don't like the smell of Mint/peppermint. Possibly spraying any spots that they might possibly be gaining access ...with a mix of water and peppermint oil in a spray bottle.
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
Hello A$ friends..

Got the 72 Overlander all winterized and parked for the winter.. Went out the other day and saw signs of mice every where. The past 2 winters I had no problems.. I cant even think how they can get it since the bottom is all sealed up proper. I felt it might be the safety chain was hanging down but put it up the moment I saw the mouse problem.

Had a packet of 3 of the plug in "nose makers" I got for Xmas a few years ago so I plugged 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the kitchen along with one in the bedroom area.. I have done a sudden inspection and have not seen any after a weeks time with the plug in noise makers..

Anyone have luck with the rodent repellers like I got? Or am I being to hopeful?

Daniel
Check the A-Frame tube ends under your coupler. If they are open this is a primary pathway into the belly area of most RV's and once rodents find it they can easily get inside most rigs. I stuffed the openings in ours with stainless steel wool. Also check around your wheel wells as mice can squeeze through very small openings. As a matter of habit I set traps underneath our rigs each year when the weather starts to cool as this is the season mice seek out a warm winter home.

Good luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Plugging the holes is the best way to make your Airstream mouse proof.

David
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We had another mouse problem in the '02 Classic. It wasn't as bad as our other mouse invasions - but any mouse problem is not good. The trailer was parked in my shed with the rear end low. I had put more dirt in the shed to avoid muddy areas. I think the smallish dirt berm at the rear of the shed and the trailer parked as it was, made it possible for mice to get on the rear frame. Now that it's in my shop I removed the rear bumper drawer to inspect. I found the droppings and disgusting trails mice leave in that compartment and on the drawer slides. I screwed galvanized hardware cloth over the 2 holes in that area. But then my drawer wouldn't close! After inspecting I found that the drawer slides, which are just o/h garage door rails, go into the 2 holes I covered!! It only lacked 4.5" of closing. I took the hacksaw and cut off 4.75" of the rail and everything closes as it should now. I hope this is the final place where mice entering. But, we all know as persistent as they are, you've got to keep watching.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Yep, you gotta keep watching, looking for disgusting evidence. Dang little poopers! Sounds like you plugged a couple more entry points in your 02. You probably plugged those big front doors under your coupler. That's a great place for mice to "come right on in".

David