Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
No luck with the dryer sheets or the over priced product that smells of a natural predator. It's supposed to put the FEAR into the little rodents. We have had good luck this past summer using mothballs on the ground around the moho. I don't know what will happen when cold weather (snow) gets here. Previously, I tried mothballs in the trunk areas & I couldn't stand the smell...so, I don't want to do that again. Snap traps also worked...not so the plastic throw away type. One smart mouse chewed through the plastic case to get to the peanut butter.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Allot of good posts above and I'd like to add one. If you put your unit up for the winter fill the toliet bowl with pink freeze ban. Leave the lid up and this will do two things. The freeze ban will keep the rubber seal moist as it has an oily base to it. Then when your new found friends can't find water they will jump in for a drink and won't be able to get out.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Batman, I knew someone was going to use the "S" word as I was reading this post in dread! Blah! I've been wondering. Our trailer has been still for almost two months now (a record!) and I've been a teensy bit concerned that meeses have come in and other things - I'm not saying that dreadful word - might have come in after them. This conversation seals it. I'm locking the cat up in there for several nights before we leave. This being actually my daughter's cat, who brought in a rabbit bigger than himself the other night! Master hunter.

No S words, ya'll! It gives me the creepies. LOL

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Thanks for tip re dryer sheets. Had mouse (or chipmunk) chewing battery cable wire on my 2010 TV this summer. Put moth flakes in a sock and secured with a zip tie. Placed sock under hood. No more damage seen. Smell is bad, but beats paying for repairs.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Do-It-Yourself-Trap

For the do-it-yourselfer. Looks like it would work. Catch them all at once.

Building a Better Mouse Trap!! (ORIGINAL VERSION) - YouTube
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #21

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This is the time of year for mice, as the temps cool they seek shelter. As others have said remove all food sources. It doesn't hurt to remove nesting materials like toilet paper either.

Snap traps work great and they're cheap. We keep a couple armed and loaded with peanut butter. Place them perpendicular with the lethal end against a baseboard, wall, or vertical surface. This increases the odds in your favor as mice tend to be peripheral by nature and scurry along walls and edges when possible.

Another tip is to place the trap on saran wrap or a disposable material. This makes clean up easy if your traps are on stain-able surfaces, or if you won't be checking the them frequently.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We did a combo of mothballs under the as and dryer sheets inside last year and had no sign of mice. We did however, remove all food, linens, sheets etc.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #23

2005 16' Safari
Nottingham , New Hampshire
I recently heard that if you use cotton balls soaked with oil of peppermint this will keep the little devils out. Has anyone tried this? I've tried Bounce and mothballs and still had minor problems. Of course it doesn't help that I live in a field!!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Tnx big time for all the advice,,, I set traps, but not caught any,,, also Mrs Snedwid cleaned up the mess, and there has been no further sign over a weeki or so. We are on the road now (LA-TX) but when I get back, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for new activity. I will also try the Downey sheets( maybe other brands don't work as well) and I'm going to set boocoo traps around the garage to try to catch the sobs before they get inside the Airstream.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Caulked floor openings...

Our '83 310 has caulk in all its orifices. I would have thought this was common practice for all Airstreams. When I did repairs on the wiring and on water system drains, I replaced the caulk with DAP '53' painters caulk. I haven't been able to find any holes for mice, or evidence of mice, but we do set traps and lay dryer sheets around under cabinets and such.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Reviving an old thread.

My TV was parked on concrete with Fresh Cab in the passenger compartment.

To make Roadie proud

(Pictures are of an electrical harness chewed through, leaving about 3/8 inch of wire stubs sticking out of an 8 conductor connector.)

Scroll down on that page for my reply if you want more disgusting mice stories.

I think the Fresh Cab is working, but you can't put the TV and trailer in giant Zip-lock bags full of the stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
Reviving an old thread.

To make Roadie proud

(Pictures are of an electrical harness chewed through, leaving about 3/8 inch of wire stubs sticking out of an 8 conductor connector.)

I think the Fresh Cab is working, but you can't put the TV and trailer in giant Zip-lock bags full of the stuff.
Were you still using the TV - or was it stored? I know that the mice get all adither over a nice warm engine compartment! I park my Airstream on a wide asphalt drive and keep the snow plowed for at least eight feet all around the trailer. The house is about 20 feet away on one side and the other side is on an open field - usually snow-covered. We still have a lot of bird life around during the Winter and with the open "killing fields" surrounding the trailer I haven't had any mice since we moved here in 2005.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Reviving an old thread.

To make Roadie proud

Your picture link gave me this:

Quote:
vBulletin Message
Quote:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
  2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page..

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote