Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #21

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This is the time of year for mice, as the temps cool they seek shelter. As others have said remove all food sources. It doesn't hurt to remove nesting materials like toilet paper either.

Snap traps work great and they're cheap. We keep a couple armed and loaded with peanut butter. Place them perpendicular with the lethal end against a baseboard, wall, or vertical surface. This increases the odds in your favor as mice tend to be peripheral by nature and scurry along walls and edges when possible.

Another tip is to place the trap on saran wrap or a disposable material. This makes clean up easy if your traps are on stain-able surfaces, or if you won't be checking the them frequently.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We did a combo of mothballs under the as and dryer sheets inside last year and had no sign of mice. We did however, remove all food, linens, sheets etc.

Good luck!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #23

2005 16' Safari
Nottingham , New Hampshire
I recently heard that if you use cotton balls soaked with oil of peppermint this will keep the little devils out. Has anyone tried this? I've tried Bounce and mothballs and still had minor problems. Of course it doesn't help that I live in a field!!
DebFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Tnx big time for all the advice,,, I set traps, but not caught any,,, also Mrs Snedwid cleaned up the mess, and there has been no further sign over a weeki or so. We are on the road now (LA-TX) but when I get back, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for new activity. I will also try the Downey sheets( maybe other brands don't work as well) and I'm going to set boocoo traps around the garage to try to catch the sobs before they get inside the Airstream.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Caulked floor openings...

Our '83 310 has caulk in all its orifices. I would have thought this was common practice for all Airstreams. When I did repairs on the wiring and on water system drains, I replaced the caulk with DAP '53' painters caulk. I haven't been able to find any holes for mice, or evidence of mice, but we do set traps and lay dryer sheets around under cabinets and such.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Reviving an old thread.

My TV was parked on concrete with Fresh Cab in the passenger compartment.

To make Roadie proud

(Pictures are of an electrical harness chewed through, leaving about 3/8 inch of wire stubs sticking out of an 8 conductor connector.)

Scroll down on that page for my reply if you want more disgusting mice stories.

I think the Fresh Cab is working, but you can't put the TV and trailer in giant Zip-lock bags full of the stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
Reviving an old thread.

To make Roadie proud

(Pictures are of an electrical harness chewed through, leaving about 3/8 inch of wire stubs sticking out of an 8 conductor connector.)

I think the Fresh Cab is working, but you can't put the TV and trailer in giant Zip-lock bags full of the stuff.
Were you still using the TV - or was it stored? I know that the mice get all adither over a nice warm engine compartment! I park my Airstream on a wide asphalt drive and keep the snow plowed for at least eight feet all around the trailer. The house is about 20 feet away on one side and the other side is on an open field - usually snow-covered. We still have a lot of bird life around during the Winter and with the open "killing fields" surrounding the trailer I haven't had any mice since we moved here in 2005.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Reviving an old thread.

To make Roadie proud

Your picture link gave me this:

Quote:
vBulletin Message
Quote:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
  2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page..
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Fresh Cab

I put Fresh Cab down behind the bathroom sink and under the floor in the closet in our AS and have not seen any sign of mice this winter. The local farmers and loggers say that Fresh Cab does a good job of keeping the mice out of their equipment.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
a sure fire way to keep mice out of places is Irish Spring soap. buy a bar and just shave off parts and put them in areas that they can get in and hide. the mice hate the smell and completely stay away. Its a trick that works well and at least smells decent. I learned this tip from a guy i met that had a big pole barn full of classic cars and he swears by it.
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycuda View Post
a sure fire way to keep mice out of places is Irish Spring soap. buy a bar and just shave off parts and put them in areas that they can get in and hide. the mice hate the smell and completely stay away. Its a trick that works well and at least smells decent. I learned this tip from a guy i met that had a big pole barn full of classic cars and he swears by it.
I don't want to be known as a naysayer but we have had a very different experience with Irish Spring and mice.
We have a deer problem on Jamestown. Because there are no natural predators the deer population has exploded. Deer eat everything! One of the suggestions we got to deal with the problem was to put Irish Spring shavings around the plants you want to protect. It seems that deer really do not like the smell of the soap. It worked! The plants started growing again without being eaten. Then we noticed that the soap shavings began to disappear. Overnight, on a dry night, the shavings would just go away.
We were puzzled! We began putting out more soap by volume (we shaved the soap into little pieces so it looked like something other than soap) and the soap disappeared. We began to put whole bars of soap out, the bars would disappear. Finally we decided to sit up and watch what was happening. We left a light on put out more soap and what did we see? Mice where taking our soap! They really seemed to like the stuff. Maybe it is just RI mice but I’d be cautious….
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I put Fresh Cab down behind the bathroom sink and under the floor in the closet in our AS and have not seen any sign of mice this winter. The local farmers and loggers say that Fresh Cab does a good job of keeping the mice out of their equipment.
Have you tried Merlot? I suppose they were looking for some moonshine?

I will bite. What is "Fresh Cab"?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I don't want to be known as a naysayer but we have had a very different experience with Irish Spring and mice.
We have a deer problem on Jamestown. Because there are no natural predators the deer population has exploded. Deer eat everything! One of the suggestions we got to deal with the problem was to put Irish Spring shavings around the plants you want to protect. It seems that deer really do not like the smell of the soap. It worked! The plants started growing again without being eaten. Then we noticed that the soap shavings began to disappear. Overnight, on a dry night, the shavings would just go away.
We were puzzled! We began putting out more soap by volume (we shaved the soap into little pieces so it looked like something other than soap) and the soap disappeared. We began to put whole bars of soap out, the bars would disappear. Finally we decided to sit up and watch what was happening. We left a light on put out more soap and what did we see? Mice where taking our soap! They really seemed to like the stuff. Maybe it is just RI mice but I’d be cautious….
Bruce
WOW that is the first time i heard of that happening. those are some strange mice. well i guess i will have to re-evaluate what i was told. guess i works for some and not others.
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #34
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
First thing I do, is get my airstream oil sprayed with Krown rust Control.
Its pretty hard for a mouse to get their footing when their sliding on oil
sprayed on the under belly and frame members. LOL!!! Like every one else the next alternative is traps or poison. Perhaps, even the electronic gismos that are to keep mice away. Take your pick!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
I tried fresh cab, it worked/works. Thanks.
AirSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
How bad is your mouse problem? An aluminum trailer should be the last place a mouse would want to live: it gets hot if not in use, not super warm in winter unless in use, no water, and hopefully no food. Seal things in plastic tubs or other mouse proof containers. Keep the undergrowth around the trailer parking spot cut down or killed with an herbicide, do not leave food in the trailer, and avoid providing places for a nest that look inviting such as dark corners and comfy warm clothes or toilet paper. Also,even when stored, go into it regularly and open cupboards and make noise. I'm in mine throughout the year, even if only to check things. And the final defence: Felis catus. My owner goes inside and inspects, but he rarely finds anything of interest and just leaves his scent by rubbing on anything he can. However all the randy tomcats in the neighborhood wander by as they search for a lady and they regularly patrol the trailer area.
EricktheSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
I agree...dryer sheets were totally ineffective for me..

In the past few years ...we would get two or three mice in the trailer during the winter months...but, for some reason this year in central Texas the mice were everywhere...tried the dyer sheets...traps...sticky traps...the sticky traps work well...but, I was looking to keep the critters out completely...so here what works for us....I saturate cotton balls with peppermint cooking oil...then I place the cotton ball on a sheet of aluminum foil...where it won't stain the plastice or carpet...I placed one under the sink in the bath and kitchen...storage under the closet...storage run area under the suburban heater ducts....smells great....re-charge them once a month...also placed two mothballs between the tires on the exterior on both sides...I have an open enclosure for my trailer...if you have an enclosed building I would'nt use the moth balls...
Effective!!! No sign of a mouse for 9 weeks now....
excella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
82 MH and mice

We have found big time evidence of mice in our MH that we brought home from Florida....so far, we have found mouse dropping in the ceiling fans, a dead mouse in the lounge when it was disassembled to be recovered, and a big mouse/rat nest in the rear bath shower under the seat behinde that plywood piece.......it seems to have lots of mouse openings on the P30 chassis......not sure how to prevent future guests......yikes...paula.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-21_10-43-18_148.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	158965  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I use one of those electric ultra-sonic no-mouse things....I got it at Sharper Image when I heard mice in my walls - put it in the room and they went away. When I noticed mice in the AS, I put it out there for the winter and whenever we weren't using it. Worked great!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Have you tried Merlot? I suppose they were looking for some moonshine?

I will bite. What is "Fresh Cab"?
Here is a link for Fresh Cab.

Buy Earthkind Fresh Cab EPAC-1 Botanical Rodent Repellent & More | drugstore.com