Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Maintaining my Airstream through the winter

We just purchased a 2016 Bambi Sport. The trailer will be stored in an inclosed, insulated poll barn & it has been winterized. What other precautions do I need to do? I will be taking it out periodically just for a drive around the neighborhood. Thank you for any comments or suggestions.
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Air up tires. Mouse proof building.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Do not leave any food items at all inside. Anything that has a smell like toothpaste or even scented cleaning wipes should be removed due to risk of mice. Also take out anything that could be used for nesting material such as paper products, towels, etc.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If there is even a risk of winter road salt on the roads, do not take it out. Be sure the batteries are fully charged, then disconnect them. There are a few items that will draw down the batteries over time even though all switches are off and the Battery Disconnect is in STORE position. If birds can get into the building you may want to throw a tarp loosely over the top to protect from bird droppings, just be sure it isn't tight and can trap moisture.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would raise then "cribbage" or use jack stands to ensure tires do not touch the ground. I would spray insecticide around all "ground contact points" monthly to keep bugs out...at least the crawling ones.

Remove and store batteries on "maintenance" charger in a place it won't freeze.

I would add some "RV antifreeze to the sink and shower "P" traps... If you don't have that, buy some cheap vodka and pour int the drain. The evaporation will be slow... Add more if you think it needs it, once a month...

Do a good "wax" job... Rejex is a great product, but there are others you may prefer.

If it doesn't freeze there, consider a dehumidifier.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

^
X2

On jack stands and keeping it off the salt.

In fact. my tires have found themselves indoors at times.....

If nothing else, covered and off the pavement, I use a 'wet mat' tile to keep the footprint dry.

Oh..... and 20psi is fine during storage.

Bob
Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OP says he will drive around occasionally, so I wouldn't be too concerned about jack stands. That said, I don't think you need to drive it around while "stored". Mine sits for 5 months...yes on jack stands with tire covers over the tires. Remove all freezables, winterize lines and b/g tanks, mouse proof, remove batteries from items, like remotes etc., remove ALL food items. Check on it from time to time for mice, etc. Oh, and come up with an appropriate plan for house battery maintenance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
West Halifax , Vermont
Do most people jack their AS to keep tires off the ground through the winter? Is it OK not to, if I check and top off the tire pressure every few weeks? Thanks!
Kellycanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
It has been alleged that a dryer sheet in each of the bins, cupboards will dissuade mice.

Also mice in storage are largely a function of your climate(such as the south). They'll move into your Prevost if there are enough of them out there.

I wasn't aware my trailer needed regular exercise in the winter.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just to save you some money...dryer sheets do NOT work. Distributed 2 boxes worth through the engine compartment and inside of my Yukon... three months later had to pay $550 to repair all the gnawed wiring around the nest they built (yes, using parts of dryer sheets) and $120 for inside detailing to get rid of all the stains. Don't know about mothballs, 'tho. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I second that, no scented dryer sheets , they draw mice, no food inside...open frige to air out...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We leave the roof vent open to promote some air circulation. Our rig is approaching two years of ownership and still has that "new rig" smell. We also hook the battery up to a "BatteryMINDER" trickle charger, and check the water level periodically.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our trailer sits unused all summer, except when company comes and WE sleep in it. I like the idea of moving it around just enough to exercise the tires and flex the rubber suspension rods. But I would never take out onto a salty road to do it, easier to deal with tires than a corroded Airstream.

When winter nears we are headed to warm weather, sitting in our Airstream in Arizona right now.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycanoe View Post
Do most people jack their AS to keep tires off the ground through the winter? Is it OK not to, if I check and top off the tire pressure every few weeks? Thanks!
Yes, off the ground, if you want to prolong their life

Unloading also extends the life of the torsion axles, preventing the rubber "springs" from developing set.

Bob
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yes, off the ground, if you want to prolong their life

Unloading also extends the life of the torsion axles, preventing the rubber "springs" from developing set.

Bob
X2...how much.....who knows, but I am of the belief that any rubber material will retain its elasticity longer when exercised and allowed to "relax". Sitting for months in a compressed state, every year, I believe will shorten life.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our trailer sits unused all summer, except when company comes and WE sleep in it. I like the idea of moving it around just enough to exercise the tires and flex the rubber suspension rods. But I would never take out onto a salty road to do it, easier to deal with tires than a corroded Airstream.

When winter nears we are headed to warm weather, sitting in our Airstream in Arizona right now.
Where do you stay in Arizona?
maryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Where do you stay in Arizona? Do you ever go over to Mexico from there?
maryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
All good ideas. I will be removing a few more items like the wipes we have in the kitchen from ours before the real winter sets in next week. Otherwise we winterize, put in sun blockers on all windows between the window and screen, and lock her up say goodbye until April or May 2016. Happy Holidays!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I forgot about the sun blockers. I made mine out of Reflectix

Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Re Previous posts - If you need to take out all probable nesting materials like towels then I imagine all the bedding, pillows, etc. What about the mattress? What if I used heavy duty plastic bins for items I need to store inside the trailer - are they mouse proof? As I'm imagining this now those mice are getting bigger and bigger....! Thanks.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote