Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Cool (pun intended )... 3-5 degrees difference is enough to make the difference between freezing and not for most of the time. The Our Oregon weather is abit atypical this last week with much colder temp than "normal".

Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I just did an experiment. I needed to brave the snow and ice to get to home depot yesterday because my digitial thermostat in my home started to die. It's not good when it is 24-25 degrees outside and thermostat gets an attitude. While at HD, I as 250W Halogen work light for $5. Hmmmm...

I took it home, managed to chip the ice off the airstream and plug in the light and turn on "low" the el cheapo 18" box fan I used to circulate air when running the dehumidifier. The light is centered side-to-side about 4 feet form the front wall of AS with the fan about a foot closer to the front (or 3 feet from the front wall). the remote temp sensor is located on the counter top just forward of the closet on the street side 1 foot from the window (for the best radio transmission).

Now the data: The temp at my house has been pretty stable at between 24.5 and 25.2 for the last 24 hours. I have had a remote temp sensor in the AS for the last month and it has been tracking outside temp within a degree or so provided that the daily variation is below 5 degrees.

When I added the light at 6:45PM and turned on the fan, the internal AS temp was 25.2F degrees and the exterior temp was 24.6F. After 12 hours the exterior temp is 24.8F and the internal temp is now 30.4F. Basically, I'm getting about a 5 degree increase with the 250W Halogen work light in pretty darn cold temps for PDX.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm happy with the result. With more typical PDX temps... this light would probably keep the trailer above freezing.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
It's now 24 hours later since the addition of the 250W Halogen worklight and the AS is at "toasty" 34.0F degrees. The outside temp got to 29.2F degrees today around 1PM and now it 26.8F and falling. I'll do one more update tomorrow and check the stabilized temp in the AS in the morning.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up sounds the same

"ronstory"
Looks to me like you are seeing the same approximate 5 degree F. increase with your one 250 watt light & fan that I am getting out of two 100 watt bulbs.
Your lite is in a 23 ' As & mine are in a 34 ftr. So temps about the same.
Arte you tracking the humidity? Mine is staying very low compared to the outside. Also I still have NO, ZIPP, moisture in the 2 Dari-Z-Air units that are in the AS. That is the BIGGEST gain. no moisture.....

Happy Holidays.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Yes, just checked this morning and with overnight low of 25.8F and current temp of 26.0F, the AS is sitting at 33.1F. So I seem to be sitting at around 6 degrees.

I haven't tracked humidity, but after we replaced all the window gaskets I dropped the LG 65 pint low temp humidifier inside, set it at 40% humidity and let it run for a week. It pulled about a 2-3 quarts of water out initially (those old gaskets were really toast, you could see the outside through them ) then it dropped to less than a cup every two days. I used the fan in bathroom with the LG by the kitchen and all cabinets open to help with circulation.

I think your solution of 2x100Wers is better since those halogen lights get darn hot, so hot that a box fan on low for "cooling" allowed me to sleep better. But is was only $5 for a ready made experiment. After the system stablized I get ~6F degrees improvement when the temp is below freezing

I see no evidence of humidity, but I'll see if I can drop a sensor in there in the next couple of days.