Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Long Term Storage

Hey!

To make a long story short, I'm in the military and my job will be sending me out of North America for the next 3 years.

Excited - yes! However, The Stingray will need to be parked for that time...

I just put new axles and tires on last year, and don't want to do it again in 3 years. Is there hope!?

Anybody have advice on long-term storage for me?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Assuming your "Stingray" is an Airstream trailer and not a Corvette…

Indoor storage, in a place safe from pilferage and vandalism.

Block it up so that the tires are off the ground so the tires don't develop permanent flat spots. A nitrogen fill on the tires instead of air may help to minimize dry rot because the only oxidation of the rubber will be on the outside, not the inside.

Winterize— air only, no RV antifreeze. Thoroughly clean and drain the waste tanks.

Remove the batteries— you'd likely need new batteries by the time you return anyway. Not only the house batteries, but also any dry-cell batteries in your smoke detector, etc.

Remove the mattresses. If the air is humid they'll collect moisture.

Keep all screened openings open for ventilation, and all un-screened openings closed to prevent critters getting in. Keep all interior doors/drawers partially open for ventilation.

Plan on replacing rubber seals on your waste valves and toilet when you return. They won't survive 3 years of being bone dry. You may need to replace your water pump impeller as well, for the same reason.

Lubricate all moving parts before you go, but expect that they'll need to be lubricated again before you use them upon your return.

Have someone you trust check up on the trailer from time to time.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I don't know your location, using a phone so it doesn't show, but for that kind of duration and for something I really cared about, a trip to the underground storage facility outside of Pittsburgh seems like a very worthwhile trip.

http://bradysbend.com
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote