Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Location of 27FB Hot Water Bypass

So I am winterizing my new to me 2012 27FB queen, and thought that the hot water bypass (looking for 3 valves) to bypass the tank would be right under the bathroom sink at the hot water tank. Instead I found two valves, and racking my head how I can bypass the tank with two valves... There is a yellow valve kinda similar to a typical gas valve, and there is a white valve below it near the floor on the pex pipe... Any help is appreciated. I have included a picture of what I am looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_125904.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	278564  

jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My first thought is that the brass valve shuts off the flow to the heater and forces all flow up through the tempering valve on the hot port. There must be a check valve in the tempering valve that would stop antifreeze from back flowing into the heater.

To prove this drain the heater, close the brass valve, and apply city water or pump pressure to the system. If no new water drains from the heater the tempering valve is stopping it and you have isolated the heater.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Fenton , Michigan
Do you have the owners manual? It should show you in there. If you don't have the manual you can download it from Airsteam.com.

The bypass valve is the brass valve with the yellow handle. Rotate it 90 degrees and you're in business.

Hope this helps....
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The bypass is a single brass valve under the sink by the hot water tank.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
We want the plumbing to bypass the water heater. To do so the cold water line needs to be connected to the hot water side and the water entering or leaving the water heater needs to be "offline". As you said the classic three valve setup.

It looks like in your case the mixing valve's check valve is being used to keep water pressure from the hot water side, the mixing valve's low temperature water port will stay off due to the mixing valve is not up to temperature. To complete the bypass we only need to connect the cold and hot water lines together. Not shown in your picture?
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Thanks Everyone!!!
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuechte View Post
So I am winterizing my new to me 2012 27FB queen, and thought that the hot water bypass (looking for 3 valves) to bypass the tank would be right under the bathroom sink at the hot water tank. Instead I found two valves, and racking my head how I can bypass the tank with two valves... There is a yellow valve kinda similar to a typical gas valve, and there is a white valve below it near the floor on the pex pipe... Any help is appreciated. I have included a picture of what I am looking at.

The yellow handle brass valve shuts off water flow to your water heater. Turn it off, and drain the water from the tank on the outside of the trailer by removing the white nylon plug. There will be a bit of water still in the bottom of the tank that I siphon out. Then I put a small bit of antifreeze in the tank and call it good. The white handle t valve on you pex underneath the hot water tank valve is a low point drain, according to my dealer and Jackson Center. I'm not sure what it's for, but when I winterized I opened it.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
The yellow handle brass valve shuts off water flow to your water heater. Turn it off, and drain the water from the tank on the outside of the trailer by removing the white nylon plug. There will be a bit of water still in the bottom of the tank that I siphon out. Then I put a small bit of antifreeze in the tank and call it good. The white handle t valve on you pex underneath the hot water tank valve is a low point drain, according to my dealer and Jackson Center. I'm not sure what it's for, but when I winterized I opened it.

Mike
The small amount of water left in the bottom of the heater after draining the tank can be left alone. If it freezes, there is plenty of room to accommodate expansion. You do not need to siphon or add antifreeze. I, personally, only put RV antifreeze in the drain traps and on top of the toilet valve. The stuff tastes horrible and is hard to rinse out.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Damien

2012 27' FB International
Lafayette , Colorado
The yellow knob bypasses the water heater.

Regarding the white knob, I wasn't sure what it was for, but last fall I realized I could drain the water heater by opening that valve and also releasing the pressure relief valve on the heater (pictured.)

For the previous winter I had taken the nylon drain plug out, which was a pain because of the lack of room for a wrench.

I couldn't find any information on the forums about that white knob. I hope it's what I think it is, a low point drain for the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure_relief_valve.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	278634  
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Hi jnuechte - I have a detailed checklist for winterizing my 2014, FC 27ft. It works great for me as I live in northern Vermont where we have severe winters. If you would like a pdf copy, please email me at: sgraner@aol.com

VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote