Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Lifting the25 ft Excella Airstream for the Winter

Hi, I have a 25 ft Excella that I will store outside of my home for the winter. I understand that I should not use the scissors jacks that are welded on the trailer to lift the tires up. Do you buy for additional bottle /scissor jacks to lift up the trailer? Should the tires come totally off the ground or just high enough to relieve most of the pressure from the tires? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The jacks on your trailer are for stabilizing ONLY. They are not made for lifting and would be subjecting your trailer to frame twist damage if they are used that way. There should be lifting points indicated if you look under the trailer aft of the wheels along the outer frame rail. Some choose NOT to use these points because should your jack slip it may penetrate the belly pan. Also DO NOT lift using the axles. They look like a good point but are also easily damaged. Where the axles mount to the frame there are some reinforced points that most choose to use. Check yours out and you'll see. NOW, I store my trailer outside on a gravel drive. I do not lift it and really don't see that I need too. Some think that raised storage will extend the axle life. I really don't know so no comment from me on that. I've often thought about putting a piece of plywood under the tires but haven't done that either. We're heading out next week for a few days and will think about it when I park it. So, bottom line, if you choose to lift it for storage just be cautious how /where you do the lifting. I've even heard that some choose to remove the tires for storage. It's good to figure this out early so you're prepared when the time comes to change a flat or service your brakes / bearings.

Good luck, see ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
The jacks on your trailer are for stabilizing ONLY. They are not made for lifting and would be subjecting your trailer to frame twist damage if they are used that way. There should be lifting points indicated if you look under the trailer aft of the wheels along the outer frame rail. Some choose NOT to use these points because should your jack slip it may penetrate the belly pan. Also DO NOT lift using the axles. They look like a good point but are also easily damaged. Where the axles mount to the frame there are some reinforced points that most choose to use. Check yours out and you'll see. NOW, I store my trailer outside on a gravel drive. I do not lift it and really don't see that I need too. Some think that raised storage will extend the axle life. I really don't know so no comment from me on that. I've often thought about putting a piece of plywood under the tires but haven't done that either. We're heading out next week for a few days and will think about it when I park it. So, bottom line, if you choose to lift it for storage just be cautious how /where you do the lifting. I've even heard that some choose to remove the tires for storage. It's good to figure this out early so you're prepared when the time comes to change a flat or service your brakes / bearings.

Good luck, see ya on the road sometime.
Thanks for the info. So basically what you are saying is you just park it on the gravel driveway and forget it? I did that with other trailers and they were fine, but just didn't want to mess the Airstream up by not doing anything. SO I will overfill the tires for the winter and MAYBE put a tarp over it.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
No tarp the wind will ruin your clear coat
Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
YUP, I just park it on the gravel. We head out in late January / early Feb these past few winters so it's not sitting ALL winter but never had any issues when it did. Not sure if there's any benefit gained from parking it on a wood or cement platform but it's easily done if it makes you feel better. I wish I had a full sized cement parking pad but I don't. There are plenty of threads here on the forum about tarping / no tarping so read away. The general thoughts are that tarps are bad. I have a cover for the AC unit to keep the leaves from blowing in but that's it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
No tarp the wind will ruin your clear coat
No clear coat on it. Almost done stripping and then leaving it for the WInter.