Old 11-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
It gets down to -40F here in NE Ohio also. Sometimes colder.

We filled my buddys trailer fresh water tank with Pepermint Schnopps. His wife swore she could still tast it all summer, when she was taking a shower I was told she could smell it.

That was there Honey Moon trip.

I think electric or any heater would get expensive to run.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Science may tell us that -40C is the same as -40F ... but of course that's before you factor in the Canadian/American exchange rate ... we generally haven't done so well there ... and then of course you have to factor in the wind chill (not sure about American meteorologists but our Canadian counter parts are quite fond of reporting "wind chill") ... and I have to admit - it always seems that the windchill from a Colorado Low seems colder than the windchill from an Alberta Clipper ... but no matter how you cut it .... -40 feels like it would freeze the brass @#$% on the same monkey anywhere .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Years ago I worked with 2 guys from Winnipeg. Their explanation of cold was when a 6ft. relieved himself outdoors and it crackled upon hitting the ground that was 60 below.

You Canadians are sure brave people to attempt such an experiment, looking at the thermometer is how we tell the temp.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
From Buffalo...

It's also a good idea to take the wheels and tires off.

I know we're a little anal here in WNY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 006.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	71642  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Yeah, I should have noted in my post that I:

1. Carefully pitched all my Pex plumbing to low point drains,
2. Blow it all dry with compressed air, including three sprayer hoses,
3. Repeat the blowdown just to be sure,
4 fill the pump with antifreeze,
5. add antifreeze to the traps,
6. drain all tanks,
7. remove the flatscreen,
8. check all cupboards for canned goods.

Then I think you can let it freeze solid.
This basic winterizing has served me well with no heat added. It takes me about 45 minutes to complete and then no worries until spring.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper View Post
i know... i know... it doesn't get cold in Tempe. Actually, on occasion it does get into the 20's. When that happens, i use the furnace in the Twink. I leave it on its lowest setting and it keeps it in the 40's. Why? because the furnace has tubes that go into the area where the plumbing collects in the belly and keeps it from freezing. Seems to work.
That's what we do with the furanace on the really cold nights, too, since we don't winterize...as we go camping in the winter months...(I know, we re wooses...that's why we live here!) It's just enough to keep it from really getting too cold... At those times we also crank up the water heater and run hot water through the system ...then we turn off the water pump and open the faucets so it's not a closed system...then if something does get too cold, there is room to expand with out damage.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Here in Colorado, we winterize.
Running the furnace uses lots of propane. When winter camping, I go through a seven gallon tank of it in a few days
R.V. furnaces are not as reliable as home furnaces and the possibility of shutdown and freezing your rig is significant.
I winterize like markdoane, except I drain the water pump. It takes me about an hour and uses a half a gallon of r.v. antifreeze and I am not that handy. Just fill the tank and turn on the pump when you are ready to go camping.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
I am curious if anyone out there leaves there furnace on in the winter mouths, or if you turn them on if it's going to get extremely cold?

also how many people are lucky enough to store there A/S in a garage or building?
Nope, we winterize the trailer so how cold it gets is inconsequential. The only time we've used the furnace to warm the unoccupied trailer is when it's at home in the drive and we are early or late in the season with a night forecast for freezing temps.

We are extremely fortunate to have an indoor storage locale where the trailer spends it's idle time.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #23
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
As we use our unit throughout the winter, it get's winterized in late October-early November. All that means is that it gets a shot of antifreeze in all the right places, water and waste containers brought out of storage and put in trailer and three backup heating systems double checked. Winter camping has it's unique pleasures/challenges, but I just love a 12-month camping season. Would be nice to have inside storage, but we've not had any problems being outside.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Wow, I am glad to live in Texas! I'm surprised AS has not developed some kind of plug-in electric option to keep things above freezing, like the diesel block heaters. As for -40 F or C, neither one sounds very hospitable to me!!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I winterize the trailer, but I still try to maintain a constant temperature of 40F inside. I set furnace to 40F and supplement it with a ceramic heater on very cold nights to conserve propane. I am afraid a cycle of freezing and thawing is not good for the joints throughout the interior (especially the wood cabinets).

I am guessing this costs me about $100 over the winter months that we are not snow-birding. Am I wasting my money?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I winterize the trailer, but I still try to maintain a constant temperature of 40F inside. I set furnace to 40F and supplement it with a ceramic heater on very cold nights to conserve propane. I am afraid a cycle of freezing and thawing is not good for the joints throughout the interior (especially the wood cabinets).

I am guessing this costs me about $100 over the winter months that we are not snow-birding. Am I wasting my money?
Keeping the interior at about 40 degrees in the freezing weather pays huge dividends.

First of all that heat must come from the furnace, since it forces the heat near the water lines and holding tank(s), which prevents a freeze up.

Should the ambient temperature be forecasted to be below 10 degrees, then it would be wise to increase the interior temperature another 5 degrees or so.

Another wise step is to open all the cabinet doors that hide the water lines and other plumbing. That permits even better circulation.

That saves winterizing costs.

Oil or electric heaters have no way of circulating the heat around the water lines and holding tank(s).

Keep an eye on the propane level.

Don't run out of fuel.

Andy
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
"That saves winterizing costs. Andy" --- Where I live, a couple of gallons of antifreeze, even installed multiple times, is CHEAPER than P R O P A N E !!
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

My gut on this is if the only reason is to protect the cabinets, you're wasting your money. Consider the fact that your cabinets flex big time when you are under tow, the temperature change that occurs is minor in the big picture. Also consider that any appliance has a limited amount of uses. Personally the wear and tear on your furnace is not worth the amount of flex that might occur with the joints. Especially in light of what goes on when you tow.

One final thought, if you consider the temperature varriance when considering flex, summer creates a much bigger temperature gap considering the temps in a closed trailer. My advice, winterize the plumbing and turn off the heat. You'll save money and lengthen the life of your furnace.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote