Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Mel
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
I use this Genius charger on my 26U...been on the batteries since last January when AS is parked at home. Seems to keep batteries topped up....no problems. Plan to leave trailer outside this winter and charger in place.

Good. Thank you. I had considered that too, but wonder about the cold weather on an outside maintainer.
I see that you keep it on top of the batteries.
Any problems with gassing affecting the unit?
Someone else keeps theirs in the propane box under cover.
__________________

__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
LilBigfoot's Avatar
 
2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Good. Thank you. I had considered that too, but wonder about the cold weather on an outside maintainer.
I see that you keep it on top of the batteries.
Any problems with gassing affecting the unit?
Someone else keeps theirs in the propane box under cover.
I was wondering about that as well. Up till now, it's been in and out of the AS because of our travels. Might just put it in the propane compartment for the winter months. We're off to Alumalina on Friday down in South Carolina.....looking forward to our 2nd rally there. Come along!
__________________

__________________
You're a long time underground!
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
Mel
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
I was wondering about that as well. Up till now, it's been in and out of the AS because of our travels. Might just put it in the propane compartment for the winter months. We're off to Alumalina on Friday down in South Carolina.....looking forward to our 2nd rally there. Come along!
Wish I could.
But medical issues and med. changes means no health insurance coverage for at least six months.
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #32
New Member
 
2006 19' Safari
Charles Town , West Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Smile Dealer says battery OK in trailer if storage is heated

I found the manual for my Safari 20 to be rather confusing re how to handle the battery during storage so called my dealer (Profile State Line in Maine). I will be storing the trailer in a heated facility so temps will be above freezing. He said the easiest thing to do is leave the batteries in the trailer. He said if one enters storage with the battery fully charged, and one disconnects the negative terminals, the battery will hold its charge. Hope this helps.
Dotti
__________________
DMozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,051
At home leave the batteries in and plugged in. I have a 4 stage converter and it keeps them charged all the time. Last year we left our trailer in outside storage in southern Georgia for about 3 months picking it up in January enroute to Florida. I was pleasantly surprised to find they still had enough charge to operate the electric jack for me to hook up. I guess so long as the temps don't go too cold they will do OK without any hook-ups. At least for awhile.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 23' Safari SE
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 44
Removing the jumpers breaks the 12V connection right? The positive lead is on one battery and the negative is on the other. It's easier for me this way because I hook up the battery tender to the jumper connectors. The Pro Mariner 20 has a connection for each battery.
__________________
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member
 
eawotr's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 19
Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket53 View Post
Removing the jumpers breaks the 12V connection right? The positive lead is on one battery and the negative is on the other. It's easier for me this way because I hook up the battery tender to the jumper connectors. The Pro Mariner 20 has a connection for each battery.
Hi

I misspoke in my original post. I have two 12v batteries in parallel. I originally stated my batteries were in serial, which is incorrect. So now I'm still questioning if I need to remove the jumpers and place a tender on each battery or if I can use a single battery tender with the jumpers in place. I'm probably making this simple task seem much harder than it is.
__________________
Beth & Lori
Newbies with a 2017 Classic

Change = Opportunity
eawotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 AM   #36
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,330
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by eawotr View Post
Hi

I misspoke in my original post. I have two 12v batteries in parallel. I originally stated my batteries were in serial, which is incorrect. So now I'm still questioning if I need to remove the jumpers and place a tender on each battery or if I can use a single battery tender with the jumpers in place. I'm probably making this simple task seem much harder than it is.
Per my post above, don't disconnect anything. One battery tender would be sufficient. Clip positive tender terminal to one battery, and negative tender terminal to the other. You're done.
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #37
Mel
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 541
OK, Here's the puzzle for the day:
My new 2016 30' FC came with a Parallax 7300 series converter. It puts out 13.5+/-1 VDC.
The battery voltage, as measured with the house power off, was 12.5 VDC, metered and 12.6 V. from the inside meter.
Using a Hydrometer to measure Specific Gravity, I found that the float was [deep in the Red at 1.175-to1.150. Not fully charged by any means.[B] so..
I took the FC to CanAm for winterization and to replace the Parallax with a PD 4655, as recommended by many of you, at a more than suitable cost.

After leaving it charge for 24 hours, I found the following:
The applied voltage from the converter was 13.8 V. right on the money, as per handbook supplied.
The Battery voltage as metered, was 12.9V going down to 12.7 after five minutes of using two Fantastic Fans (to work it a little). Looks good, eh?
However........
The electrolyte test again showed 1.125, way down from a fully charge 1.250-1.300.
To double check that maybe my old Hydrometer was 'pooched', I purchased another Hydrometer at 'Canadian Tire'. (Our Premier auto supplier)
It showed the same readings.
So far, CanAm is at a loss to explain the fact that two Interstate batteries new at FC purchase last Spring, and only needing distilled water once in the spring, can be that low after 24 hours of charging with a new converter.

Anybody got any ideas that I can pass along?
I thought that I was finished with this thing for the Winter, and had put it away.
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #38
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,330
Blog Entries: 49
Each cell in each battery will have its own specific gravity. What did the other cells in each battery say? Some might be fully charged (or maybe even over-charged) with one dead cell that's not holding a charge. If that's the case, you need new batteries. As to why that could happen, beyond suggesting that the batteries were, on some occasions, allowed to discharge below 50% which would have caused cumulative damage, I can't say.

Our experience this year: We had a pair of Interstate batteries that we'd cared for assiduously since getting them replaced by the dealer, under warranty, in early 2015. Never let the water go low, never let the charge go low. However, our dealer did on several occasions, kill our batteries stone dead while Rocinante was in for service. Late this summer, we found that our batteries were doing a poor job of maintaining their charge (e.g. the capacity seemed lacking). I finally did a specific gravity check of each cell in each battery. Each battery had one cell that was completely dead, even when the other cells tested as fully or even over-charged. We took this as a sign and replaced both batteries. We also now watch our dealer like a hawk whenever we have Rocinante in for service, to ensure they understand the importance to us of making sure her batteries stay happy while she's in their care.
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #39
Mel
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Each cell in each battery will have its own specific gravity. What did the other cells in each battery say? Some might be fully charged (or maybe even over-charged) with one dead cell that's not holding a charge. If that's the case, you need new batteries. As to why that could happen, beyond suggesting that the batteries were, on some occasions, allowed to discharge below 50% which would have caused cumulative damage, I can't say.

Our experience this year: We had a pair of Interstate batteries that we'd cared for assiduously since getting them replaced by the dealer, under warranty, in early 2015. Never let the water go low, never let the charge go low. However, our dealer did on several occasions, kill our batteries stone dead while Rocinante was in for service. Late this summer, we found that our batteries were doing a poor job of maintaining their charge (e.g. the capacity seemed lacking). I finally did a specific gravity check of each cell in each battery. Each battery had one cell that was completely dead, even when the other cells tested as fully or even over-charged. We took this as a sign and replaced both batteries. We also now watch our dealer like a hawk whenever we have Rocinante in for service, to ensure they understand the importance to us of making sure her batteries stay happy while she's in their care.
ALL 12 of the cells were low.
I'll check them again later today, (three days after the change-over) to see if there is any improvement.
I had hoped that I was putting it away for the winter; but not yet, I guess.
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #40
Rivet Slave
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,330
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
ALL 12 of the cells were low.

I'll check them again later today, (three days after the change-over) to see if there is any improvement.

I had hoped that I was putting it away for the winter; but not yet, I guess.

Bummer. Batteries may be bad.

A couple of other possibilities:

Pretty sure the PLax charger provides a constant relatively low-amperage current to your batteries. It may be that your batteries would benefit from a multi-stage charger that can dump power into them faster when they are lower. That way they will also charge faster. We replaced our PLax with an equivalent smart charger from Progressive Dynamics and have been pleased with that. It may be worthwhile for you to do the same.

It may also be helpful to equalize the batteries to see if you can bring them out of their funk.

Best of luck!
__________________
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #41
Mel
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 541
Here's an update on my New converter/battery issue.
This morning, I shut the batteries off at the 'switch', and installed my 'Genius 3500' battery tender. (Purchased from Canadian Tire, several years ago.)
The indicator inside showed 14.1 V. in progress.

I left it to go for about four or five hours; switch 'on' ,13.8 V.
Switch 'off' 13.0 V. with one tender clamp removed from (-).
So I then rechecked the specific gravitys.

They were right up in the green at about 1.275-1.300. Full Charge!
So the batteries are good.

So I guess that it's back to CanAm again to resolve the PD4655 not doing it's job.
DAMN!
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member
 
Caffeinated's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 329
I pull my batteries from the trailer, bring them home, and use a battery tender to keep them charged over the winter. It works for me.

Mike
__________________

__________________
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doggie Day Care vs Leaving in Trailer during day trips Gillpine The Pet Forum 44 12-22-2015 08:02 AM
Pros and Cons of leaving c channel on during lift. Unka Jack General Repair Forum 8 03-25-2015 09:17 PM
Trailer towing during winter Danny Bell Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 7 10-12-2014 06:13 PM
leaving furnace on in winter? osolow Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 40 10-10-2009 09:05 PM
Leaving batteries connected over the winter StAlphonzo Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 7 10-02-2008 03:44 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.