Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #15
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket53 View Post
I disconnect the jumpers between the batteries.

Mike
"THE JUMPERS"? WHY?
That just separates the two batteries.
What about leads to the trailer?

"Trailer Trash traveling in a 'tin-can' shed".

Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #16
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
I've got a 1.25A Battery Tender specifically for charging my Honda EU6500 generator battery, which is a small motorcycle battery whose manufacturer states that a 1.25A charger should be used to maintain a charge during non-use periods.

Our Group 24 and Group 27 AGM batteries deliver many, many times more current. I don't see how a 1.25A tender can exercise such a battery (ref. the other threads calling out use of a 1.25A charger).

BatteryTender makes a bunch of tenders.
http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/
There's the 1.25A tender already otherwise discussed ... (too small for these batteries????)

There's the 3A tender.

There's the 5A tender, as well as a 5A weatherproof tender ...

But they also make a twin 20A charger (40A total), which explicitly states that it will charge a depleted Group 27 AGM in 4 to 5 hours--the only charger that calls attention to Group 27 AGM's, by the way.

So, if all we're looking to do is maintain the pair of already charged batteries, and a small motorcycle battery gets a 1.25A charger to maintain a charge through non-use periods ... and ... if the most common car battery chargers throughout history are 10A for charging a single 12V battery, why wouldn't our large Group 24 and Group 27 AGM batteries get at least 5A, if not 10A to maintain their charges, especially when wired in parallel, which effectively requires twice the current to maintain both batteries at the same rate you'd charge one battery, all things being equal? How can we even consider a 1.25A charger in dual-battery configurations? And who's the best source for knowledge? The battery manufacturer or the company that makes the chargers?

Sorry if this appears critical ... it's not intended that way ... just asking questions that have been nagging since I started reading about charging...

Thanks,
Rich

AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
These trailer batteries when in good condition loose less then 1amp per day so a charger that provides more then 1 amp per hour can easily maintain 2 charged batteries. It can even charge them from dead, even if it takes a week.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Denver , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
Yes, I've thought about the snow and I plan to remove heavy snow cover when it occurs.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
At my latitude, the solar panel is tilted to 56* in the winter snow rarely covers it completely and when the sun comes out, the black uncovered part heats up rapidly, melting the remaining snow. I rarely go more than a few days without full panel capacity.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Yes, a fully charged battery will not freeze. Think about all the batteries in all the cars in the coldest parts of the country. I don't remember ever having heard of one freezing. Keep it charged and you will be fine.
I've done this for several years. I switch the 12v off with the quick disconnect located under the seat in my kitchen nook. Of course the winters at 6800 feet in Show Low Arizona where the trailer is stored aren't as harsh as other places.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hey, a battery tender is also a very good idea, much cheaper and easier than switching out the converter / charger. Connect the red battery tender clip to the red terminal on one battery and the black clip to the black terminal on the other battery. Red is positive, black is negative. Battery tender will tell you via a colored LED whether it is connected properly. You cross batteries with the tender because that way you can be sure it is running current fully through both of them.
Thanks so much
Old 10-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eawotr View Post
Thanks so much
You're more than welcome.

One member above mentioned a waterproof Battery Tender, which might be a good idea if the tongue / battery box for your trailer will be exposed to weather while stored. The battery tender we use for our truck in winter months is kept under the hood where it is safe and dry, but that might not be possible when charging batteries in the trailer's battery box.

Here's what I think they were talking about: http://www.batterytender.com/Charger...us-12V-5A.html

BTW, if you are maintaining your batteries this way while in storage, please do *not* remove the jumpers between the batteries. You need those to complete the circuit for charging. I would also say that if you put the trailer's battery switch in the "store" position, it is completely unnecessary to remove any wires at all from the batteries while maintaining them this way. The only draw when in "store" is tiny (e.g. the interior propane detector) and the Battery Tender can easily keep up with that.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Leaving batteries in trailer during winter

Snow covers my solar panels here in SW CO, so I use a BatteryMinder 12248 and place it atop the propane tanks, under the cover. This 8A charger/maintainer has a temperature sensor attached to the batteries for automatic temperature compensation.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
In Canada, does anyone have any experience with "Genius" battery minders for RV use?
I have two; one that I use for tow vehicle battery maintenance in the winter, the other to keep riding mower battery up in winter. Both vehicles are covered in a garage and shed.
Perhaps I could use one on the AS with the batteries in situ???��
Old 10-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

I would recommend using a Cteck batter maintainer vs a trickle charger. The Cteck charger is a multilevel charger that reads the condition of your batteries and will adjust from charge to maintain. I have three cars that I store during the winter and was replacing batteries every two years with a trickle charger. Since changing to the Cteck two winters ago, no more battery issues.

Here their web site: http://smartercharger.com

For the person with the 2017 classic, you could use the solar connection on the side of the battery box to connect the Cteck.

Also check out Jay Leno Garage video review of Cteck on YouTube.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
In Canada, does anyone have any experience with "Genius" battery minders for RV use?
I have two; one that I use for tow vehicle battery maintenance in the winter, the other to keep riding mower battery up in winter. Both vehicles are covered in a garage and shed.
Perhaps I could use one on the AS with the batteries in situ???��
I use this Genius charger on my 26U...been on the batteries since last January when AS is parked at home. Seems to keep batteries topped up....no problems. Plan to leave trailer outside this winter and charger in place.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnstead View Post
I've always removed the batteries from my two Airstreams during the winter and kept them in the house. But I have sold one of my trailers and replaced it with a 2008 CCD. I have installed two 100-watt solar panels which keep the two Interstate batteries charged when I am boondocking. I am wondering if I could leave the batteries in the trailer during the winter since they should be kept well-charged.
We leave ours in but check periodically to see if we need to connect AC to top them off ...
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I use a Pro Mariner battery charger/tender. My model charges two batteries. They make other versions up to four batteries at once. Does an equalization once a month as well.

Mike
Me too. The solar is hooked up but in my case it is under roof though it would not interfere. The main thing is that the solar controller is staged as is the charger to provide ongoing variation for the batteries. Dad highly recommends the ProMariners.