Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Leaving a A/S plugged in

I was not sure where to post this, but it sort of applies to winterizing..

I have left my Bambi in the driveway this winter. Did my own winterizing this year.
I was going to take the batteries out and put them in the basement, however, I had put it off for various reasons.

Then the weather turned COLD.. Single digits for a few nights. I just left the batteries out in place, but had the trailer plugged in. They are kept charged when the trailer is plugged in, right? I mean, my truck battery does not freeze, would the trailer batteries freeze? Should I still move them in?
There is still a lot of winter left, in fact, I'm not sure if winter has even begun yet..

Thanks,
jeff

Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Make sure the battery disconnect switch is in the correct position and you should be okay. Just be sure to check the water level in the battery ocasionally so it does not overcharge and go dry. zz

Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
... I just left the batteries out in place, but had the trailer plugged in. They are kept charged when the trailer is plugged in...
Don't know which type of charger/battery maintainer you have, but there is always a "chance" of ANY charger going postal and overcharging the battery - bad stuff is about to happen when this occurs...

Worst case scenario is a fire - at the very least the interior will fill up with HS gas, providing for a toxic atmosphere and probable corrosion on metal surfaces...this is all in addition to ruining the batteries.

On the freezing issue - there is no way it will get cold enough in Eastern Missouri to freeze a fully charged battery - freezing should not be one of your worries.

What I do is to make sure the batteries are disconnected when not in use (some trailers have a substantial parasitic load) and also make sure the batteries are reconnected to the charger once a month for a couple of hours.

The type of batteries you have also makes a difference - regular wet cell batteries - getting two years out of them would be good - three years at best. Might want to consider cheap batteries "disposable". I do on some of my vehicles - use "Cheapies" from the Walton childrens in Bentonville. Their stores are all over th ploace, and there is usually no problem in changing a defective battery out (this often happens at intervals of one ear or so). Have experience premature failure on certain other brands of batteries as well, so I went with the convenience of easy replacement.

I have a Lifeline AGM battery in the Sovereign that was manufactured in early 2004 - I will get at least 7 years of service out of it. Money well spent on that purchase. I use a Xantrax three stage in the trailer.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
As others will say - Make sure bat. are fully charged and then disconnect them. Once a month reconnect and recharge then disconnect again.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Once your batteries are fully charged, hook up a Battery Minder trickle charger and flip the disconnect to off.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Block em!

If you decide to put them in the basement, be sure not to set them on the concrete floor. They will go dead for sure. Put a block of wood under them.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If the standard airstream converter stays plugged in it can boil the batteries. One way to prevent that is to use a timer on it. Leave it plugged in but set the timer so it is only on 1 hour per day. No particular worries that way.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The new converters are much better than the antigues were. zz
Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy. We have used Lucy extensively. We have spent 760 nights in Lucy , and have towed her 70,000 miles. When Lucy is not traveling, she is parked at our house or at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville. Lucy stays plugged in all of the time when she is not underway. Lucy's refrigerator stays on with food in it. The air conditioner/heat pump stays on and set a minimal level. Lucy's batteries are the same one that came in when we bought her new in June, 2006.

It would appear that staying plugged in has not done Lucy any harm. North Florida winters are relatively mild, but we do get a number of nights below freezing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you decide to put them in the basement, be sure not to set them on the concrete floor. They will go dead for sure. Put a block of wood under them.
This is not intended to be a put down: Just informational

I suggest that you do some research on the concrete statement. It is a well known myth, which has no current scientific basis.

It is possible that in the past this may have applied to some old types of battery construction, but it definitely has no application to modern batteries.

Ken
Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Put the wood block under it. I have permanent etchings in my concrete boat dock where I did not.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
In 2006 I put a new sealed Odyssey battery in the Caravel, and an intellipower with the charge wizard. I leave the trailer plugged in all the time. In the winter I run a 110v space heater in there to keep things from freezing. This has worked fine for me until the intellipower went out this year. I'm going to replace it in the next couple months. We've noticed no decrease in battery life or anything like that.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
This is not intended to be a put down: Just informational

I suggest that you do some research on the concrete statement. It is a well known myth, which has no current scientific basis.

It is possible that in the past this may have applied to some old types of battery construction, but it definitely has no application to modern batteries.

Ken
I did some research on this. If you have etchings in the floor, battery is leaking, and yes this will allow a conductor to the floor. A healthy plastic case (not leaking) WILL NOT discharge to the floor.

Back when batteries had WOOD cases with a tar-like substance lining them, they weeped acid through the case and would discharge to the ground.....concrete in particular.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I was not sure where to post this, but it sort of applies to winterizing..

I have left my Bambi in the driveway this winter. Did my own winterizing this year.
I was going to take the batteries out and put them in the basement, however, I had put it off for various reasons.

Then the weather turned COLD.. Single digits for a few nights. I just left the batteries out in place, but had the trailer plugged in. They are kept charged when the trailer is plugged in, right? I mean, my truck battery does not freeze, would the trailer batteries freeze? Should I still move them in?
There is still a lot of winter left, in fact, I'm not sure if winter has even begun yet..

Thanks,
jeff
If you are not going to use the trailer this winter, I would recommend bringing the batteries into warm storage, just for peace of mind. There are too many things that can go wrong with long term cold storage. For instance the converter circuit breaker could trip and go undetected for a while.

Bring them in and either leave a good quality trickle charger on them or charge them every few weeks with a regular battery charger. Batteries cost too much now days to gamble on their cold weather survival.

Ken