Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Florence , South Carolina
Keeping the pipes from freezing and busting

Is it possible to travel through temperatures that may be prone to freeze with water in the holding tank, hot water tank, and the grey and black tanks? Should all of these and the lines be empty?
chrischarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It depends on the outside and inside temperatures. Along with the temperature of the material in the holding tanks. You can add RV anti freeze to the grey and black water tanks but it would be better to just empty them before hitting the road. The fresh water tank is more likely to freeze but it holds a large amount of water so it would take some time. If the water sloshes around in the tank it will take longer to freeze.
The water heater is insulated and will hold temp for quite some time.
The water lines will freeze before anything else, especially those that run thru unheated areas such as behind cabinets and across vented areas like the refer vent.
Keeping cabinet doors open will help but not eliminate the problem totally.
You can travel with the furnace running but you will consume considerable propane.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Not to hijack, but related: A park host asked if my city water hose and my Sewer Solution hose were "winterized" or insulated at a recent camp. The temp. was predicted to drop to the mid teens. I decided to boondock, leaving the hoses safety curled up in storage. What did she mean by asking, i.e., are there ways to insulate the outdoor hoses and still use them in severe cold. I have heard not, but would investigate the options if there are any. . .?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Not to hijack, but related: A park host asked if my city water hose and my Sewer Solution hose were "winterized" or insulated at a recent camp. The temp. was predicted to drop to the mid teens. I decided to boondock, leaving the hoses safety curled up in storage. What did she mean by asking, i.e., are there ways to insulate the outdoor hoses and still use them in severe cold. I have heard not, but would investigate the options if there are any. . .?
Greg I think what she meant was did you have a heat trace cable attached to your lines.

EasyHeat AHB Constant Wattage Pre-Terminated Lengths

I used this product on both water and sewer lines then wrap them in the foam pipe wrap and then use duct tape to hold them closed.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Florence , South Carolina
This might sound funny but did you have to dismantle the trailer to install the foam pipe wrap and heat strip?
chrischarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think it would be counter productive to wrap the pipes inside the trailer with insulation. This would prevent or at least slow down the ability of whatever warm air is in the space from getting to the pipes.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Greg I think what she meant was did you have a heat trace cable attached to your lines.

EasyHeat AHB Constant Wattage Pre-Terminated Lengths

I used this product on both water and sewer lines then wrap them in the foam pipe wrap and then use duct tape to hold them closed.
Very neat solution. I wasn't aware of this product. Looks like just the ticket for a multi-day stay with full hookups in the cold. Thanks for the lead.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I think it would be counter productive to wrap the pipes inside the trailer with insulation. This would prevent or at least slow down the ability of whatever warm air is in the space from getting to the pipes.
I would think that if interior pipes were wrapped it would help considerably .

However, if rebuilding and using PEX it should not matter.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you use the EASYHEAT it would make sense to insulate the pipes because the heat from the heat tape would be held next to the pipes with the insulation. But if you are using the amient air around the pipes to prevent freezing. Why would you insulate the pipes from the heat source?