Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Jack Stand Use/Placement (long-term parking)

I am currently living in my '93 34' Excella, parked on gravel lot in the back corner of an RV park. It looks like I will be working here, in northern Nevada, at least through the winter and maybe longer.

In preparation for long-term parking/winter living, I'm wondering about putting the trailer on jack stands. I'd like to preserve what little life is left in my axles.

What type, how many and where should stands be placed? I do not have an owners manual, and with the bottom being enclosed I do not see any obvious frame placement points.

Also wondering how long is too long to be sitting in one place?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
binkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Binkers
I'd use INLANDS little axle thing to access how much life is left if any. If its been mostly setting since 93,I'd say the damage has already been done . The rubber inside the tube needs exercised at least 2 or 3 times a year.
As for the placement of screw jacks or jackstands . I think maybe 3 each side/ 6 would be in order 1 at each shock mount on the frame.Release enough weight that you can turn the wheels. I know someone with disagree because there are lots out there with more experience than I. I will Use 1 at each shock mount or a total of 4 for our trailer.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkers View Post
...What type, how many and where should stands be placed?...
hi binkers...

the first half dozen posts in this thread covers long term placement and what to use....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...eam-18435.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thanks 2 air for confirming what I was bringing up from my memory banks. They are not what they use to be.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Thanks for the link 2air'. Since I have three axles, seems like it would be sufficient to have 2 jack stands on either side, placed on frame between wheels/axles. So, with 4 jack stands total and stabilizer's down I should be fine? Also seems like several month's of sitting justifies the lift...although whether or not removing weight from the axles extends their life seems to be a topic of debate.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just an FYI, my owner's manual suggests placing a pair of jackstands at the rear of the trailer, near the bumper, on the frame, to help minimize that sometimes unsettling movement when more than one person is walking around back there.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
... So, with 4 jack stands total and stabilizer's down I should be fine?...
4 jack stands and the TONGUE JACK down should be adequate and really rock solid.

my 34 has been in that position, and with me inside bopping around there was NO movement.

i'd be reluctant to use the stabilizers however.

if by accident a jack stand failed, the trailer would land on the tires and likely no harm.

but with the stabilizers down, that same calamity could result in bent metal...

IF u really want more support use wood blocks at the JACK UP POINTS...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
A couple more questions:

1) Do I really need to lift the trailer off the ground, or will taking some of the weight of the wheels suffice?

2) Will something like these stackable aluminum stands from Camco work well enough?

3) Or, should I use more traditional stands like these?

Seems like the Camco screw-type jack would be a better choice for anything other than perfectly level ground.

Thanks again for all of your advice.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
A couple more questions:

1) Do I really need to lift the trailer off the ground, or will taking some of the weight of the wheels suffice?

2) Will something like these stackable aluminum stands from Camco work well enough?

Seems like the Camco screw-type jack would be a better choice for anything other than perfectly level ground.

Do not use the Camco stands to attempt to support your trailer. They are not meant for that and not stable enough.

You do not have to lift the trailer completely off the ground. What you wan to do is reduce the load on the Henchin axles so the rubber does not take a set.

I will take a somewhat different point on how many jacks to use. I would place a jack on the frame rail between the axles rather than a jack per axle. You can not support a plane, a surface, with more than 3 points so any additional points of support is a waste.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
A couple more questions:

I would use two of the traditional type of stands that you show. Make sure that the load rating is beefy enough to support your rig since they do come in diffrent sizes. I would put them at the back end of the axle mounting plate with the bottom edge of the axle mounting plate sitting in the groove that you see in the photo of the traditional jack stands. That along with the tounge jack should strike a nice balance. If you feel uncomforable about the strength of the tounge jack consider some solid chunks of wood underneath the tounge. I agree that all you need to do is to lift the weight off of the tires enough that the axles are not supporting the load.

Malcolm
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I agree with Malconium. Do not use cheap stands - I got mine at Wal-Mart and there rated for much more wieght than the trailer. I have had mine on the stands for six months without a problem. Be sure that the ground is sokid or put a 2x6 under the stand. Getting the weight off the axles should save them but i have been reading that moving the axles is important so that they so not stiffen up. I'm not sure how often to move them or any other details.. Maybe someone else will weigh in on that subject. If possible, take the whells and tires of the trailer and store them in a dark dry place to save them from exposure.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Hey, do any of you guys get nervous when it really gets winding outside? I have mine up on 4 jack stands plus the tong jack. Its getting very windy outside with this Yankee clipper coming through. I have visions of a jack stand popping through my floor.

Anyone ever have a trailer blown off jack stands? I think I am going out to lower it.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Hey, do any of you guys get nervous when it really gets winding outside? I have mine up on 4 jack stands plus the tong jack. Its getting very windy outside with this Yankee clipper coming through. I have visions of a jack stand popping through my floor.

Anyone ever have a trailer blown off jack stands? I think I am going out to lower it.
Six jack stands are superior.

2 at the back side of the A-frame.

2 at the frame at the bumper.

2 at the axle mounting plates.

You can also add the A-frame jack.

That setup will take a pretty tough wind.

More importantly, if the wind did blow the trailer off the jack stands, little to no damage will occur, simply because where the jacks were placed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote