Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
2020 Flying Cloud 28RTB

2020 28' Flying Cloud
South Fork , Colorado
Issue Winterizing 2020 Flying Cloud

I have drained and blown out all water at 55 psi and turned bypass on water heater. This AS has a winterization kit knob and tubing just before the filter screen. I turned the winterization knob to the correct location and placed the provided clear tubing into the RV antifreeze jug. When I switch the pump on, it doesn't pull the antifreeze out of the jug? All faucets and drains are closed. Does the pump need priming if there is little water left in it? If so, how is that accomplished?
lovemorels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
According to my manual which should be the same. All faucets need to be open. When you see the pink come out of a faucet close it and don't forget the outside shower. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You need to have a tap open for the pump to move antifreeze through the lines.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Sometimes the winterization valve is installed backwards. On a Camco kit, the end of the valve stamped with a 'C' will face the water pump. When in service mode, the handle should point toward the pump. If it is, it won't pull from the bottle when in bypass mode. Ask me how I know.

Better yet...now you've blown out the lines, go around and do it one more time, including low points once at a time...and be done with it. I stopped with the anti-freeze a couple years ago and it's been heavenly. Get up and go in the spring. Just some antifreeze in the traps.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
2020 Flying Cloud 28RTB

2020 28' Flying Cloud
South Fork , Colorado
Thanks for the replies! I did open the kitchen sink faucet and then turned on the pump. No flow of pink from the bottle. ?¿
The winterization kit was factory installed. The tube is clear all the way to the junction. I have the knob in the correct direction. I have an appt in Oct for some warranty work to be done and may have to add this to the list. For now, I will open the pump, make sure the water is pumped out and put the antifreeze down the p-traps. I had read that in really cold climates, the RV antifreeze will help keep the rubber pieces within the system from drying out/cracking.
Thank you! HAPPY SUNDAY FUNDAY☆
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Orcs

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Winthrop , Washington
Unhappy winterization

Don't forget to disconnect the water supply to the toilet at the base of the toilet. That instruction is not in the operating manual but it is in the manufacture's instruction. The valve can freeze and crack even if you have blown everything out. ( don't ask me how I know this ).
orcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Niagara falls , New York
Just winterize it through the fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemorels View Post
I have drained and blown out all water at 55 psi and turned bypass on water heater. This AS has a winterization kit knob and tubing just before the filter screen. I turned the winterization knob to the correct location and placed the provided clear tubing into the RV antifreeze jug. When I switch the pump on, it doesn't pull the antifreeze out of the jug? All faucets and drains are closed. Does the pump need priming if there is little water left in it? If so, how is that accomplished?
just winterize it through the fresh water tank
Cjanese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm assuming the pump does turn on. If not, then look into that part of things. If the pump turns on and a faucet is open, do you get "stuff" out of the faucet ( like air )? If so wait a bit longer for the anti-freeze to get going. If that still does not do it, check that all the fittings are tight. Also check that you aren't pumping it out through one of the low point valves .... been there done that ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
With pump on, start at kitchen sink, open up faucet, cold side, and then hot side until water runs pink. Close. Do same in BR sink. Then toilet. Then shower, hot and cold. Then exterior shower. It doesn’t take long for pink to come out. Pour extra RV antifreeze into drains. Carefully wipe metal around drains to keep it from pittung. Put small bowl beneath faucets to catch drops.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The winterization kit was factory installed.
This doubles my suspicion that the valve is installed backwards And yes, I am completely serious. It's very easy to install backwards if not paying attention.
That pump should start pulling antifreeze out of the bottle almost immediately.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjanese21 View Post
just winterize it through the fresh water tank
Unless the FW tank is completely empty, which is unlikely, there can be dilution of the antifreeze. But more importantly, trying to flush antifreeze from the fresh tank is an absolute nightmare. He'll smell antifreeze in his water all next summer no matter how much flushing is done.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Unless the FW tank is completely empty, which is unlikely, there can be dilution of the antifreeze. But more importantly, trying to flush antifreeze from the fresh tank is an absolute nightmare. He'll smell antifreeze in his water all next summer no matter how much flushing is done.
I agree! This is a very bad idea and should never be employed. If you are going to pump pink, either disconnect fittings at the pump inlet or install your own winterizing manifold at the same location.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Tried out of the bottle; ended up using funnel

I tried putting the tube in the gallon bottle but the pump would not prime on our FC23FB and ended up connecting a funnel and tube to the pump. As soon as I did, the pump primed and worked as expected. Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66B7C6FD-1B89-4FE1-AF38-7F68778CDA14.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	351728  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #14
2020 Flying Cloud 28RTB

2020 28' Flying Cloud
South Fork , Colorado
I like the idea of the funnel. Where did you buy that fancy bottle connection?
I also thought the same thing initially, maybe the pump needs to be primed. Plus, if the factory installed winterization kit is backwards, then no fluid should go towards the pump if I tried just pouring the solution in the tube provided, right?
The pump runs when I turn it on, but no air flows from the kitchen sink when I try the hot or cold setting.
You all are so helpful with your ideas♡
I really appreciate this forum!!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
How about a photo of your winterization valve.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #16
2020 Flying Cloud 28RTB

2020 28' Flying Cloud
South Fork , Colorado
Update...I called AS Customer Service and they spoke with a tech as they aren't up to speed on the 2020's yet. I did a test run of 1/2 gallon of water down the winterization tube with a funnel and it didn't go toward the pump or back up towards me; it went to the fresh water tank! The suspicions where correct. I blew it all out again and added the RV anti-freeze. AS Forums just asked for a photo of the winterization kit, but it is all put away until Oct when it is going in for warranty work and adding this to the list. I'll try and update this thread at that time. Thanks for your time and efforts!
~Karen
Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
I like the idea of the funnel. Where did you buy that fancy bottle connection?
I also thought the same thing initially, maybe the pump needs to be primed. Plus, if the factory installed winterization kit is backwards, then no fluid should go towards the pump if I tried just pouring the solution in the tube provided, right?
The pump runs when I turn it on, but no air flows from the kitchen sink when I try the hot or cold setting.
You all are so helpful with your ideas♡
I really appreciate this forum!!
I got mine at Farm & Fleet but you can find them at AutoZone and Amazon. It's made by Hopkins - 10704 FloTool Spill Saver Measu-Funnel.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-spill-saver-measu-funnel/139278_0_0

The blue part in the photo is the valve; you control the flow by turning it. I originally bought one for adding diesel fuel treatment for cold weather but found it was perfect for winterizing the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Funnel.png
Views:	45
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	351864  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #18
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Update...I called AS Customer Service and they spoke with a tech as they aren't up to speed on the 2020's yet. I did a test run of 1/2 gallon of water down the winterization tube with a funnel and it didn't go toward the pump or back up towards me; it went to the fresh water tank! The suspicions where correct. I blew it all out again and added the RV anti-freeze. AS Forums just asked for a photo of the winterization kit, but it is all put away until Oct when it is going in for warranty work and adding this to the list. I'll try and update this thread at that time. Thanks for your time and efforts!
~Karen
I told you s..... nah, I won't say it! Like a blind squirrel, I do find a nut now and then

With the kit installed backwards, when your pump is on, it's not drawing from the tank or the tube...the path to the pump is blocked by the valve. It's an easy fix, just unscrew the fittings and turn it the other way--if you don't want to wait for warranty work.
I am curious, you say you blew it all out again and added the RV anti-freeze...you added the anti-freeze where? The whole issue was that the pump isn't drawing it in to the system. Where did you add it?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . it is all put away until Oct when it is going in for warranty work . s. .
. . .
Thanks for the update. Suggest having the dealer show you how to winterize without using that nasty antifreeze . . .

. . . Like Wally and early Airstreamers did for decades!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #20
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Suggest having the dealer show you how to winterize without using that nasty antifreeze . . .
This times ten!