Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
People, do not waist your time with brand-name traps you can purchase at Lowe's. I did and they worked great....not a one went into the trap; they all went to my AS--I got my money back because Lowe's has a website full of comments about how ineffective they are. When I first saw the critter, I thought it was cute because of the prehistoric look--boy was I surprised. Someone come up with a remedy and make a fortune.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh fun...I live in Alabama...not sure if they are terrible here...I saw one on the awning rail while washing last week...have not seen any otherwise so far...need to soon get to prepping the trailer against ants, bugs, mice, etc...darn critters, stay outa my shiny man can

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Stink bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
We have had stink bugs in the south for as long as I can remember, and I always assumed they are native. They have been notorious for damaging the pecan crop and laying their eggs in the nuts. It gives the nut a bitter taste.

I do not know much about the invasive species of SB, only that they try to get inside when the weather cools more aggressively than the natives. I doubt trapping them is going to remove them from our environment. There are just to many of them.
That was probably a boll weviel bug they came in from mexico years ago stink bugs were only first discovered in the US back in the early 90's. Both bugs look alike.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
Stink bugs have been in the South as long as I can remember. I started remembering in the 50's. Boll weevils did not stink when you sat on one. Or one happened to crawl on your head and you swatted it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Stink bugs have been around forever, the invaders are simply a new flavor of them.

On a 1978 date at a scenic reservoir my girlfriend and I found a patch of huge ripe blackberries. Let's mention the stink bug will try to hide by staying out of sight, dancing around to stay hidden. So, eating blackberries is a good way to ingest a nice crunchy stink bug.

They breed faster and live longer then the normal flavors, errr, varieties of the mid-atlantic states...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just reading this on stink bugs from Virginia Tech on the best and cheapest way to kill stink bugs.
A Virginia Tech team has proven that homemade, inexpensive stink bug traps crafted from simple household items outshine pricier models designed to kill the invasive, annoying bugs, according to a news release from the university.
1. A large pan (an aluminum foil one if you want to toss it, because honestly, who wants to reuse a pan that's had bugs floating in it?).
2. Water and dish soap
3. A light to attract the bugs
Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Seems to me that a flea trap would work well for these things too. The flea trap that I'm talking about has a suspended night light over a pan with fly paper in it. Just toss the fly paper when it's full and your ready for the next batch of bugs.
It also will attract those wonderful spiders too!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That sounds like a really good idea!

Stink bugs seem to be inordinately attracted to the pretty silver of Airstreams. I once saw a SWARM of stink bugs, all over an Airstream in Virginia. They were everywhere, inside and out. The owner bought a Shop Vac to clean them up.

I took our AC filters out to clean them earlier this year, and there must have been 30 stinkbugs up there, dead on the filters. No wonder it always seemed to smell like stinkbugs. It hadn't been that long since I washed those filters, less than a year.

We have found them in every nook, cranny, drawer, cabinet in the Interstate. If we have seen a couple on the outside, there are dozens inside somewhere.

I like the idea of flypaper, because then I don't have to handle them. I will have to watch them die, but I can't muster up concern for that. What can they possibly contribute to the world.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
How do you get to the filter in the AC
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Urnmor,
From inside the trailer on the bottom side of the part of the A/C that hangs down, there are a couple of tabs that are the same color as the rest of the unit. Those tabs or indentions are the plastic filter frame. They slide out sideways from the unit. This is the way mine are, I would think yours are the same, but I'm not sure. I have a Dometic A/C. Mine has 2 filters.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Since I'm terrified of spiders, and don't really care for other creepy-crawlies either, every spring and fall I use a bug bomb in the trailers. I cover the beds and gauchos with flat sheets (which then get washed), counters with newspapers, open all cupboards (unless with food or dishes), then bomb away!

Works great and I never have to worry about something with too many legs crawling up the aluminum by my face or spooling down from a vent. I even did it while we were living in the 34'er in TX--just set off the bomb and left the trailer with my dog for the day, then opened it all up to air out when I got home.

I just made a complete spring tour of all six trailers in the big building, and not one web did I run into nor one critter--dead or alive--did I see. Love those bug bombs!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #26
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Urnmor,
From inside the trailer on the bottom side of the part of the A/C that hangs down, there are a couple of tabs that are the same color as the rest of the unit. Those tabs or indentions are the plastic filter frame. They slide out sideways from the unit. This is the way mine are, I would think yours are the same, but I'm not sure. I have a Dometic A/C. Mine has 2 filters.
Yes exactly the way mine is.

Wash the filters with warm soap and water, rinse and let dry. An astonishing amount of dust and dirt accumulate in those.

We have never had a problem with spiders or other crawling things....but for stinkbugs, who come in any way they can.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had a mass of stink bugs about 4 years ago. So many that I had to vacuum them out of the cabinets and behind anything they could get behind or into. Ever since that spring we have had only a few. This year I found none. I'm not sure how their populations move around but I don't see them being a problem any more. Go figure

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
appreciate the info on the filters. I have taken them out and cleaned them.