Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Seems to me that a flea trap would work well for these things too. The flea trap that I'm talking about has a suspended night light over a pan with fly paper in it. Just toss the fly paper when it's full and your ready for the next batch of bugs.
It also will attract those wonderful spiders too!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That sounds like a really good idea!

Stink bugs seem to be inordinately attracted to the pretty silver of Airstreams. I once saw a SWARM of stink bugs, all over an Airstream in Virginia. They were everywhere, inside and out. The owner bought a Shop Vac to clean them up.

I took our AC filters out to clean them earlier this year, and there must have been 30 stinkbugs up there, dead on the filters. No wonder it always seemed to smell like stinkbugs. It hadn't been that long since I washed those filters, less than a year.

We have found them in every nook, cranny, drawer, cabinet in the Interstate. If we have seen a couple on the outside, there are dozens inside somewhere.

I like the idea of flypaper, because then I don't have to handle them. I will have to watch them die, but I can't muster up concern for that. What can they possibly contribute to the world.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
How do you get to the filter in the AC
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Urnmor,
From inside the trailer on the bottom side of the part of the A/C that hangs down, there are a couple of tabs that are the same color as the rest of the unit. Those tabs or indentions are the plastic filter frame. They slide out sideways from the unit. This is the way mine are, I would think yours are the same, but I'm not sure. I have a Dometic A/C. Mine has 2 filters.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Since I'm terrified of spiders, and don't really care for other creepy-crawlies either, every spring and fall I use a bug bomb in the trailers. I cover the beds and gauchos with flat sheets (which then get washed), counters with newspapers, open all cupboards (unless with food or dishes), then bomb away!

Works great and I never have to worry about something with too many legs crawling up the aluminum by my face or spooling down from a vent. I even did it while we were living in the 34'er in TX--just set off the bomb and left the trailer with my dog for the day, then opened it all up to air out when I got home.

I just made a complete spring tour of all six trailers in the big building, and not one web did I run into nor one critter--dead or alive--did I see. Love those bug bombs!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Urnmor,
From inside the trailer on the bottom side of the part of the A/C that hangs down, there are a couple of tabs that are the same color as the rest of the unit. Those tabs or indentions are the plastic filter frame. They slide out sideways from the unit. This is the way mine are, I would think yours are the same, but I'm not sure. I have a Dometic A/C. Mine has 2 filters.
Yes exactly the way mine is.

Wash the filters with warm soap and water, rinse and let dry. An astonishing amount of dust and dirt accumulate in those.

We have never had a problem with spiders or other crawling things....but for stinkbugs, who come in any way they can.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had a mass of stink bugs about 4 years ago. So many that I had to vacuum them out of the cabinets and behind anything they could get behind or into. Ever since that spring we have had only a few. This year I found none. I'm not sure how their populations move around but I don't see them being a problem any more. Go figure

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
appreciate the info on the filters. I have taken them out and cleaned them.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Roger certainly hope you are correct about the stink bugs
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
I live in the country in Montana and though we don't have stink bugs we have a similar bug (squash bugs) and mice, beetles, box elder bugs.....well you get the idea. We also live in a log home, bugs love to invade through the tiny cracks. After two years of vacuuming, smoke bombs etc. I found a spray called Tempo SC manufactured by Bayer.
I buy it online (amazon) and spray the perimeter of the home, garage twice during the summer. It's cut the indoor bug population to near zero. I understand they use this chemical around schools, factories etc.
Works great!

P.S. Home Guard etc from the store is a total waste of money.
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Bumping this forward as stink bug season is upon us--have already seen a few adult brown marmorated stink bugs here in Western Oregon.

Last year we had an epidemic and I did not realize till too late they were getting into the trailer. Even tho we sucked 'em up with a shop vac, spring time found a couple dozen a day coming out of hibernation--all told several hundred had over wintered inside the trailer. And I'm not sure how they got in.

I found them inside the water heater and furnace compartments despite having installed bug screens on both. Evidently there is enough of a gap at the hinge side of these compartment doors that they can squeeze in. As both are sealed, the bugs were not getting inside the trailer thru these, tho.

Also found them in the refer cabinet. I cut bronze window screen to fit the louvered door and it fits tight. We'll find out this fall if that works.

I also found that the factory caulk job on my Dometic AC did not completely block the hole where the wiring goes from inside the AS to outside--so there were a bunch in the AC diffuser on the AS ceiling and inside the AC shroud on the roof.

I've also seen them on the fantastic fan bug screens. If the hatch isn't tight, they can get underneath.

Turned out there was a gash in the belly pan where the PO had driven over something. I furnace taped that closed.

We did try to trap 'em as they came out of hibernation using a bright light over a cooking tray filled with soapy water. Only mildly successful as it seems if the stink bugs don't come out during the day, they stay put at night.

And now we wait for the invasion.

BTW, it is very satisfying to hear those chunky stink bugs rattle down the shop vac tube BUT they usually let out some stench, which the vac exhausts into the air. So the bugs do get their revenge and what do you do with a shop vac full of live stink bugs?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They are one of the most invasive and insidious little critters I have ever come across...you have my sympathies.

I'm glad I left Oregon before they made their appearance.

They fly in surreptitiously, also attach themselves quickly to our clothing, ride in that way, then start looking for a home. Their ability to find any crack or crevice is impressive.

We first encountered them in Pennsylvania, and they do seem especially drawn to our shiny exteriors. I saw them swarmed on an Airstream in Virginia some years back...they were everywhere, inside and out.

Be sure to check your AC filters, as they love to crawl up into those and then you smell their dead selves when you turn the AC on.

They also like to crawl into spaces around awning framework.

An earlier post recommended using flypaper, which I think is an excellent suggestion.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 09-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Yep Maggie, you may have gotten out of Oregon just in time. Hope you are having pleasant travels and that there are no stink bugs laying in wait for you at home.

Thanks for the tip on the AC filters. We are especially looking for ways of keeping them out this Fall. Last year's crop has fortunately flown the coop and haven't seen any since end of May. But that said, the new ones are starting for good hibernating places and we've already caught a couple inside our house.

Five years ago a brown marmorated stink bug was a rarity. Last year was crazy with them. I'm thinking of getting some chickens 'cause I hear they love stink bugs.

But chickens have their own leavings, and that is not what I'm looking for on my front step!!

Take care,

Dave & Susan

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
jbs411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Michigan

They are all over the place in Mid Michigan by our home. We hardly ever seen them before here, until this year.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote