Old 10-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Installing Winterizing Kit

I purchased a Camco Winterizing Kit with the idea of pumping RV antifreeze thru the pump as an insurance policy in addition to blowing out the water lines. I have a 25FB International. I can find the shurflow pump easily enough. However, I don't see how it is possible to get to the inlet side of the pump to install the "T". It is barely accessible as can be seen in this picture. The inlet is on the back side of the pump.

For those who may have done this my question is, how?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	297999  

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I didn't buy a kit. I bought a piece of hose and fitting. I have to unscrew the pump from the floor and rotate it. Then, I take off the water input line, out on the hose and suck the antifreeze out if the jug.

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

Andes , Arizona
I believe under your frig there's a half depth cabinet that the back wall is a access panel. You need to remove two screws and you should be able to get to the pump better. Let me know if it worked out for you.
Frankie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fort Worth , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I purchased a Camco Winterizing Kit with the idea of pumping RV antifreeze thru the pump as an insurance policy in addition to blowing out the water lines. I have a 25FB International. I can find the shurflow pump easily enough. However, I don't see how it is possible to get to the inlet side of the pump to install the "T". It is barely accessible as can be seen in this picture. The inlet is on the back side of the pump.

I feel your pain. I got a second so there would be a junction between the two for the camco tee and valve. This extra hose gave me more slack hose to work with. Once installed, no more pain to get to the back side of the pump.

Next Spring, I’m going to move the filter to the other end out front too.

Sorry no pics. Not a lot of room to get a photo.

2017 25' Safari FB
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Any new ideas or pictures on how to possibly install the camco winterizing kit on the pump of a 2016 FBTWIN FC?
This is a real bummer not having any room to attach the valve to the pump inlet!!!
��������
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
I suppose I could just use the syphon hose (with adapter )each time that is provided in the kit and just not use the permanent brass bypass valve .????
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipp View Post
I suppose I could just use the syphon hose (with adapter )each time that is provided in the kit and just not use the permanent brass bypass valve .????
Or move the pump. Or shorten the inlet line leading to it to make room for the valve. There's always a solution!
Or better yet...thoroughly blow out all the lines and fixtures and be done with the anti-freeze (except for in drain traps. Makes getting going again in the spring so much easier. I quit with the antifreeze a couple years ago.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Check your new GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

Bob, now that you’ve replaced your 25FB with the new Globetrotter, check to see if it came with a winterizing valve pre-installed. So far, everyone who has one of the factory valves discovered they’re installed backwards! There’s another thread about a 2020 reporting the issue. Our 2019 has it backwards.

Take care,
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Sandia Park , New Mexico
Quick question PCSkier..... do you do anything to the water pump for winterization besides blowing out the lines? Just got a 2016 23FB flying cloud and winterizing. I’ve blown all the lines out really well and debating sucking antifreeze in through the pump. I feel like the dealer mechanic said something was required for the water pump.
Jody5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody5280;
Quick question PCSkier..... do you do anything to the water pump for winterization besides blowing out the lines? Just got a 2016 23FB flying cloud and winterizing. I’ve blown all the lines out really well and debating sucking antifreeze in through the pump. I feel like the dealer mechanic said something was required for the water pump.

Correct - blowing out the lines does not remove water from the pump, due to the location of its internal check valve.

You should also pump in some RV anti freeze by attaching a hose to the inlet side of the pump to protect the pump at a minimum.

Personally - I do both, blow lines then pump in about 1.5 gallons of RV anti freeze. Then poor the remaining 1/2 gallon of the second jug into the drains to protect the P-traps.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

To take care of the water pump:

Hook the compressor to the "input" side of the pump, turn on the pump and then blow some air through it. The whole process involves about 5 seconds of air.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I had the same problem. I couldn’t get to it very easily. Decided that when I had some warranty work done that the dealer could install it. I did have to get longer and better hose to put into the antifreeze jug. The one provided by the kit wasn’t long enough and was fairly ineffective. It worked like a charm once I got a better hose.
I did blow out the system as well BUT:
1) As state above: Blowing out the system DOES NOT get the water out of the pump. You have to unhook the exit valve of the pump, turn pump on, and let the water drain out of the pump. Doesn’t take long. Just has to be done. See manual.
2). Blowing out the system also DOES NOT get the water out of the filter area. It will pool there. When I opened that up I could feel the water sitting in there. Used a rag to get it out.

If you can’t get to your pump to install the bypass, you can do it using a hand pump through the inlet water valve. I have done that. It takes 2 people; one to pump and one to open the fixtures. It takes more effort and more antifreeze. But it does work.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco...-p/88-8899.htm

By the way to install the kit you have to put it on the left side of the filter. In other words antifreeze has to go through the filter area.

It really isn’t that hard to do if you can get to it. You do need the correct connectors, a pex cutter, and a few other tools. The reason I had the dealer do it, is that they have all the parts and tubing. I am familiar plumbing copper piping, but not using pex.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Installing Winterizing Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob
Hi

To take care of the water pump:

Hook the compressor to the "input" side of the pump, turn on the pump and then blow some air through it. The whole process involves about 5 seconds of air.

Bob

All good if you have the right fittings and use LOW PRESSURE. Inlet side of the pump is not designed for 60psi....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
All good if you have the right fittings and use LOW PRESSURE. Inlet side of the pump is not designed for 60psi....
Hi

Loosely push the compressor output up against the input to the fresh water tank and pressurize the whole thing. Yes, you want to keep the pressure low. Without fancy fittings, that's how it's going to work anyway.(unless you have a billion CFM compressor ). You have enough pressure when your buddy inside the trailer notices air coming out of the pump.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Sandia Park , New Mexico
Hey - I'm late with this but thanks for those that responded - very helpful. I've completed the first winterization on the Flying Cloud ending with a small prayer (lol). I updated Ralph's checklist with more details that "lady brains" might appreciate. Published to Google Sheets below.

It's snowing here in the East Mountains outside of ABQ - Happy Winter everyone!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Spjf_t/pubhtml
Jody5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
Camano Islander

2007 19' Bambi
1965 17' Caravel
Iowa City , Iowa
Hi,
I'm trying to use the Camco kit in my 2007 Bambi International and I removed the pipe that connects from the pump to the water tank. I see where the filter is but I can't figure out where to attach the kit. Can you help me?
CamanoIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamanoIsland View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to use the Camco kit in my 2007 Bambi International and I removed the pipe that connects from the pump to the water tank. I see where the filter is but I can't figure out where to attach the kit. Can you help me?
It should be in this order:
1) camco kit
2) Filter
3) Pump.

The antifreeze should go through the filter then to the pump.

If you have blown it out well, then all you would need to do is disconnect the pex from the pump, turn it on for a bit, and empty the water out of the pump. OR you can take a hand pump, go to the water inlet, and then pump the antifreeze that way. I’ve done it. Takes another person to open and close the valves while someone pumps the antifreeze. DON’T forget your outside shower

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote