Old 09-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Installing a winterizing kit

I am looking at installing the winterizing kit that hooks to the inlet side of the water pump. The valve opening might be considered restrictive as it is approx. 1/4" diameter. The pump on the 2015 Classic is located below the refrig and accessed by removing a drawer located there. On our previous Airstream the pump was accessed thru the closet and I simply removed the inlet hose to the pump and screwed on a hose to draft antifreeze to fill the system. The new Airstream would not be as easy, so the valve would be easier to hook the hose setup to. Has anyone used this device and have you notice any reduced flow or pressure and installing the valve? My winterization procedure is draining, blowing the system thru the city water, then pumping antifreeze thru all of the plumbing, ensuring that the traps are full of antifreeze also. Last resort I could dump antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pump it thru the plumbing. Appreciate all advice

Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Winterizing Kit

One of the first things we did when we got our new (to us) 2006 Bunkhouse last year was to install a winterizing kit two way valve at the pump inlet. As our pump is under and behind two drawers in the galley, it was a similar problem to yours. Works like a champ.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
If you want to look at the video I made in how I winterized my trailer master year, look here:

http://youtu.be/2BNbEAGFPt4

If you are running anti freeze through your system, then I would say you don't need to blow it out. Just run the antifreeze out of dispenser and you will be set. Just make sure you have fully drained AND bypassed your hot water heater so you don't fill it full of antifreeze.
Good luck.
Mark
WL7NI
Old 09-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydir View Post
One of the first things we did when we got our new (to us) 2006 Bunkhouse last year was to install a winterizing kit two way valve at the pump inlet. As our pump is under and behind two drawers in the galley, it was a similar problem to yours. Works like a champ.
Were you able to detect any difference in water pressure from the pump after you installed the winterizing kit? We use our water tank/pump quite a bit and it had excellent pressure, sure don't want to reduce it.
Thanks
I blow the system out as a precaution, doesn't take much time or effort really. But if you live in Alaska and find you that pumping antifreeze is sufficient, I might have to rethink my efforts.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
The pump on the 2015 Classic is located below the refrig and accessed by removing a drawer located there. On our previous Airstream the pump was accessed thru the closet and I simply removed the inlet hose to the pump and screwed on a hose to draft antifreeze to fill the system.

The new Airstream would not be as easy, so the valve would be easier to hook the hose setup to.

Has anyone used this device and have you notice any reduced flow or pressure and installing the valve?
The location of your pump sounds much like where ours is. I bought one of these kits with the diverter valve. The valve is still sitting in my parts box.

It looks restrictive but do not think it will affect pump water flow unless you have multiple taps open at once.

I now cannot remember what was in the way, but I was unable to get the valve on the pump and reattach the input line from the tank. without an obstruction.

I now just lie on the floor, reach back and remove the pump input line, attach the clear plastic suction line, and stick it in a bottle of anti freeze.

It is a pain but I've not sat down yet to figure out a better place to tap that valve in
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
We installed the kit in our unit and have not noted any kind of change in water pressure
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
Winterizing

My older AS has a bypass valve for the water heater, to keep liquid from going into the tank. I close that valve first. Then I drain the heater tank.

I then detach the incoming water hose from the pump, attach a short piece of hose to that incoming pump fitting, drop the other end into a gallon of RV anti-freeze, turn on the pump, go to a faucet and turn it on until the fluid turns red, both hot and cold settings, then close the valve. The anti-freeze fluid running into the drain takes care of freeze prevention there. Then I go to the next faucet and repeat the process. Don't forget the shower!

I flush and hold the toilet valve open until the fluid turns red. This insures the toilet flush valve is protected. There is a drain valve located near the city water pressure regulator that I crack open, let it drain until the fluid turns red. Then close it.

Then I turn the pump off, remove the short piece of hose, re-attach the hose from the water tank to the pump, and that's it. The anti-freeze remains in the pump to protect it. Of course I have already drained the fresh water tank and both waste tanks.

Takes about 20 minutes and 3/4 gallon of antifreeze. I have been using this procedure for over 25 years without any problem.

I am not familiar with the "winterizing kit" referenced in some of the responses.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Great topic. Thanks for sharing what works for your AS. I've taken notes and saved them for when I get my AS...