Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Inside or Outside Storage ??

Live in a Northeast HOA so the 2016 FC needs to be stored when not in use.
I stored it inside last year but it cost big $$$.
So I wonder if storing outside is maybe better .
Looking for those who have stored for years and know what works .
Thanks
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
We stored our 25' outside for years in the 90's, with shore power. Our FC20 lives outside in the driveway, with enough shore power to keep the batteries charged, and to power two plug-in Dampp Chasers which ward off mildew and mold all winter.

Also important IMO is that your AS have no leaks in the roof and windows if you want to store outside.

Without shore power the choice becomes more difficult. Plenty of people do it, but mildew and mold may become an issue. Do you have solar panels? A small 12-volt heat source of some kind to ward off the damp could be a huge plus IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I too have to make that decision very soon as the 26U arrives in a month.
Camping last weekend a family was there with a 2003 20ft International.
The exterior clearcoat still sparkled and the roof seals still like new.
The guy me it have been indoor stored it's entire life.
I currently have covered storage which is certainly better than total exposure.
Now considering indoor but yes, big $$$.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Inside

Inside storage. Sun is killer on a finish. We rent a space for it at a storage facility. Keeps those crazy 'stink bugs' away from it.
I'd like to build a large enough garage for it. we have electricity there but no water at the storage site. It's close by, we can get to it pretty quick if need be.
I had some other brand, stored outside, I wish I had kept it inside. Had to wax and clean it all the time, watch for wasps. Its in a better place stored inside.

oh wow! 200 posts, LOL
Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I store my trailer outside at home in the yard.
Maybe one day I can afford a shed for it.
The sealant/caulk will last so much longer when protected from UV rays.
I think I have a leak now but I cannot determine where it is coming from.
Shed = less leaks.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
It's always a trade off. Cost of increased maintenance if storing outdoors vs. cost of storing indoors with reduced need for maintenance. We all have to make our own decisions on what's available and what we can afford.

Our 2001 AS has been stored under cover or indoors all but 2 years of its life. Those 2 years had more impact on the exterior than all the other years combined. Sun, rain, hail, snow, bird/tree droppings are all sources of exterior damage when storing outdoors.

Even with indoor or covered storage, I've still had to put in the time to clean, wax and prevent leaks to keep our AS looking like new. But, that's something I get pleasure doing and it shows pride of ownership.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
We're in NC. Trailer is stored outside. You should see the difference in the belt line trim and access doors on the side that gets the most sun compared to the side that's in the shade. If I could get her into covered storage somewhere - I'd do it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, we just try to keep it waxed and sealed and vented.
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I'm an Inside Kind of Guy

With my first AS, I stored it inside an open-fronted storage building. The 25' trailer took up all the space available and the open, west-facing end allowed lots of sun to hit the trailer. My present 30' AS just wouldn't fit, so I looked elsewhere. I found a large climate-controlled warehouse about 35 miles away and I keep it there for not a whole lot more money than I paid before. I pay them $5/month extra for shore power. It is worth it to me. I don't have to winterize and de-winterize it, I don't worry about leaks, hail, theft or vandalism. It would be nicer if it were closer to home, but I still feel better about my investment.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I have done both...in Florida and Idaho. As others have said, the humidity is the problem in the southeast (and you can't leave the roof vents open due to afternoon rain), whereas the sun does a number at 5,200 ft. So if I had the money, I'd keep Daisy indoors (which I do over the winter). As it is...she sits in the driveway...reminding me its spring and time to take her somewhere. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
Inside storage would have saved $43,000 worth of hail damage. It was insured, but still a pain to have to drive it cross-country for factory repairs. It's now in covered storage.
rogerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
We are in Florida and have never had the opportunity to store indoors. Even so, it would have to be air conditioned space. The heat and humidity does take its' toll. We like to travel during the hottest Florida months so I guess we avoid some of the worst heat. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am wrestling with the decision to build a garage for Rosie. I have the room but it's a large financial commitment that won't necessarily be returned when we eventually sell the house, however we have a serious investment in our AS. I believe in the long run, the enjoyment we will gain from our ASs will be significantly higher if we don't have to be constantly dealing with weather related wear and tear.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Storage outside?

I purchased from another AS owner and insects had taken over. The worst: Asian Stinkbugs!!! They are TOUGH and EVEN TOUGHER to eradicate!! Next, humidity issues and maintenance; your AS's beautiful aluminum skin will take a beating over time. Keeping the AS on power is good as long as you don't use CHEAP electric accessories: Google: "Lake Dallas TX RV storage fire 2016"

Mulitiple RV units were destroyed because of a cheapskate trickle battery maintenance charger! I was just lucky to be in a different storage area; area B was a total loss of MANY MH's, Boats, and several AS's. Keep your insurance paid and adequate coverage, whichever route you take. The main selling point - for me - is that my AS is out of sight from larcenous EYES when stored within my unit!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
i keep my AI in a secure warehouse one mile from my house. The heat, humidity, UV, bugs, leaves, pine straw, and uninvited guests are kept at bay. If I want to head out of town, I load some plastic boxes in the car and then make a quick transfer out of the elements and away from the attention of anyone taking notice. Yes, it cost me, but cheap isn't good, and good isn't cheap.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Shelton , Washington
Half and half

We're on the "wet side" of Washington State. First winter she was outside. Not good! No leaks or issues, just a pain to wash thoroughly in the spring. I like a shiny airstream!

Installed a drive through metal building last fall and she's been a happy camper all winter!

2016 25' FC
2016 F150 ecoboost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	283643  
Mccarty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I stored my 19' Bambi International in a Virginia RV storage lot for 10 years and she looked great until the day I sold her. I took her to the Airstream dealer in Thornburg every spring and had her checked over, especially the top. She needed re-sealing once. I didn't have any issues with humidity inside the trailer - I would clean her really well in the fall after winterizing, and then leave a box of that stuff that supposedly soaks up humidity (Dry Fit?) on the kitchen table. I also put a big box of baking soda in frig and left all the doors in trailer (and frig) open and curtains drawn. I usually visited a couple of times on nice days in the winter to air her out and "commune" with her. Yes, I'm nuts.
Note: I always had to open the window rock guards on the front and clean out green mold and pine needles every spring but it always cleaned up well. I waxed her once a year. Hope this helps.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Many people store outside and are fine with it. At least compared to white box trailers, there isn't all the painted graphics to fade.

Having said that, I just don't have the heart to store outside. Especially living at 6,000 feet elevation in the west, the sun is the factor. There is no question that sun takes its toll on rubber seals, plastic accessories/covers, and the seam caulking. Add to it that in winter, it would have snow on it, and a lot of temperature variations and freeze/thaw. A little moisture gets in a caulk crack, freezes, thaws, freezes again...much more risk of leaks developing.

Not to say that all those things can't be mitigated with good care and extra maintenance.

So mine stays in an unheated storage unit, out of the snow/rain, and out of the sun. Heated would be even better, but the cost is that much more. I pay $120/mth for a 12x30 unit about 15 minutes from home that has enough extra space for me to store all the other camping 'stuff' in there, as well as things that normally are in my garage, such as winter/summer car tires, etc.

I don't love spending more than $1,400 a year, but my neighborhood doesn't allow outside home storage, and outside storage locally is anywhere from $50 to $80 a month anyway, so the upcharge to indoor isn't so bad. The other thing I don't like about shared outdoor storage, is the risk of the guys on either side coming in from a trip tired and maybe at night, and backing in to my baby. Some of the outdoor lots I looked at really had them packed in tight and gave me stress just looking at it.

My hopes is to move into a smaller home with the space to include an RV garage or barn, but for now...indoor paid storage it is. When it's howling and dumping snow here in January and February, it's comforting to know my Airstream is safely tucked away.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I live in Florida and currently have rented covered storage. It goes up 5% a year, and although very nice (paved, secure, wash places, 30 amp power, and the Sun never shines on it.) But it's approaching $3K a year, and it's 20 miles away, so using it becomes a chore of moving things twice. One reason for getting the AS was to have something I could keep on my property. I could buy a nice steel pole barn for two years of storage fees.

I wonder how a covered shelter effects your property taxes? It's not a dwelling or a garage?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I live in Florida and currently have rented covered storage. It goes up 5% a year, and although very nice (paved, secure, wash places, 30 amp power, and the Sun never shines on it.) But it's approaching $3K a year, and it's 20 miles away, so using it becomes a chore of moving things twice. One reason for getting the AS was to have something I could keep on my property. I could buy a nice steel pole barn for two years of storage fees.

I wonder how a covered shelter effects your property taxes? It's not a dwelling or a garage?
Our '67 Overlander has never been stored inside. We have a small rotten area in the floor at the very back under the bathroom sink to show for it and the clear coat is all but gone. Inside is best but inside rentals are too much for our retirement income. She stays in our driveway with the heat on all winter. I will buy a cover next fall even though Airstream recommends not using a cover. It will give me some peace of mind and keep the rig in our driveway where I can conveniently do some needed repairs inside.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We spend over $3,300 to store our two trailers outside but under roof and on asphalt pavement on the east edge of Phoenix. We have 120Vac to each unit to allow the Magnum inverters to keep the lithium batteries charged. The manager lives on site and there are over 30 cameras watching the storage area 24 hours a day. We have two wash bays with Reverse Osmosis water (also used to fill fresh water tanks as well) and a dump station. There is pass code only access thru self closing gates. Since it has historically never dropped below freezing for more than the few hours round dawn, winterizing has not been an issue.

There are also two toilets (male and female) incase one needs to use one and does not want to load the black tank in their trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote