Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We spend over $3,300 to store our two trailers outside but under roof and on asphalt pavement on the east edge of Phoenix. We have 120Vac to each unit to allow the Magnum inverters to keep the lithium batteries charged. The manager lives on site and there are over 30 cameras watching the storage area 24 hours a day. We have two wash bays with Reverse Osmosis water (also used to fill fresh water tanks as well) and a dump station. There is pass code only access thru self closing gates. Since it has historically never dropped below freezing for more than the few hours round dawn, winterizing has not been an issue.

There are also two toilets (male and female) incase one needs to use one and does not want to load the black tank in their trailer.
Wow! Sure wish I had access to something like that here in Canada. I am happy with winterizing my trailer, but I would like to avoid the snow/hail/rain associated with simple outside storage. The amenities there sound fantastic!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
We store in a rented covered space, so it's a fair compromise between inside and outside, and much less expensive than inside storage. I still have to winterize, of course, but it's protected from the elements except for the front, which actually gets little exposure, except when there is a driving rain with high winds. Importantly, the roof and its sealant are protected from direct exposure to the broiling Texas sun.
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
I can relate to the HOA business. We have lived in an HOA for 20+ years and get along fine with everyone, but bringing the AS in for a couple of days does raise eyebrows so we have always stored both of ours in an inside facility. That was the first consideration when purchasing an RV.. Where to store it. Being retired, I can leave the TV in the same storage unit, which I couldn't if it was our grocery getter too. It is expensive, probably more than insurance, but worth not having to worry. We use Damp Rid devices to control moisture and dump and recharge them every few weeks. Fortunately, we also have shore power available for the battery minders when needed to freshen the charge. Temperature is an issue, no climate control so I have to winterize. This past week, while visiting the desert southwest, I found that the AS dealer in Tucson (LazyDays) sells the rub rail chrome trim by the foot so I replaced the belt and bottom as the old ones were getting pretty ratty in places, even storing inside. Our Airstreams represent a large investment and protection of any sort is a strong consideration for our investments. Good Luck.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My current Classic spent its first two years in outdoor storage. During that timeframe I had to replace the air conditioner shroud due to UV deterioration. Also both skylights developed leaks due to cracking in that time frame. Not sure about the skylights since the dealer felt that the cracking was due to them being overtightened when the trailer was built.

We live in a local where hail is always a threat. We had a storm that hit within 3 miles of where I used to store outside which devastated another outdoor storage facility. Ours was untouched.

I have a good friend who is a fellow Airstreamer who has a large garage at her home which is about 24 miles south of me. She graciously has rented me a spot in her garage for the past 11 years. I can't tell you how much I appreciated her offer and I can tell you that the peace of mind being inside and out of the weather is worth it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #25
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bought a pre-weathered AS from the start. I don't have to worry about clearcoat peeling, stripes and trim fading. It's already got that. My trailer is right outside my back door. I am glad I don't have to go to a storage facility to check on it, piddle with it, or simply hang out inside. I can hitch up and go in minutes, too.

Sure, it would be heart breaking to watch a nice new shiny unit weather with time. However, I couldn't justify all of the costs associated with buying that nice new shiny unit and then paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars each year to house it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
Another vote here for Inside Storage. It's an easy way to protect your investment. Here in Vermont there are at least two fairgrounds that fill barns in the winter with trailerable boats and RV's for very reasonable rates. Water doesn't need a big crack to get in and after it gets in the crack, it freezes and expands, making the hairline crack even worse. Covering a newer Airstream isn't recommended because the cover can create big dull sections from chafing/removing Clear-Coat all winter long in the wind.
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
All toys need to be at least under cover, as the weather destroys them fast. My boat is in my garage, airplane in a rented hangar, and Airstream is under a former lumber yard shed roof for $40/mo.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
My boat is in my garage, airplane in a rented hangar, and Airstream is under a former lumber yard shed roof for $40/mo.
I always wondered if a small airport would rent hanger space to an RV or are they happy with just aircraft?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I always wondered if a small airport would rent hanger space to an RV or are they happy with just aircraft?
Most prefer airplanes but many will take anything to pay the bills.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I store mine at home in a Shelterlogic garage. The cost was around $2200 and it's very durable. It keeps the moisture and hail off of it. Makes for some cozy driveway camping too.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
A few hangars will accommodate RVs, however FAA grant assurances greatly limit the non-aeronautical use of airport property.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I store mine at a new facility up the street from my home. They have "storage ports" or carport-like back-in spaces with dump station, ice, electric, etc. It is $2100/yr.

Some time ago I created a thread on this topic considering the cost and options. I am also in an HOA and next to the house is impossible. We are readying the house for sale right now as I retire next month. We plan to relocate to the St. Augustine/Jacksonville area and I am somewhat concerned about finding storage that is nice and affordable or a home with a place to park it.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Shelterlogic looks like a very nifty solution at a low/fair price. But, I cannot see how I would anchor the enclosure on my concrete driveway extension; it is semi-circular. I would not want to drill into the concrete and the ground is not accessible on all sides. Oh well.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I did drill into the concrete and set anchors for my Shelterlogic. Then, cemented back in over the top of the anchors. Looks nice and is sturdy. It has been through heavy snow and hail storms and still looks new. The snow literally slides off on it's own. I refuse to live in an HOA community and am glad I can have a Shelterlogic to protect my Airstream at my home.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Ocala , FL
I currently keep our 22 sport outside at an RV only storage facility. Upgrading to a Flying Cloud soon and I really want to keep it in their covered area which includes water and electric. Currently paying about $100/mo. but I'm having a hard time jumping to the $256/mo for covered.
Xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
The semi-climate-controlled warehouse we use costs us $1,400/year, including electricity for the battery tender. We don't have access to it on weekends, so we have to plan some. When we gain access to the trailer, we are accompanied by an employee, so I feel really good about the security. When leaving for a trip, I call and pick it up outside. They even air the tires to my specs, if I ask. When I return it, I drop it off outside, tell the folks I'm home, and they return it to storage. It's not as convenient as having it in covered storage next to the house, but that's not an option here.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Name of your storage facility?

Is it a chain? How did you find it? Where is it located?
$1400 / year is affordable for me.
Thanks.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Highlands , New Jersey
Airstream Storage

Hey folks my girlfriend & I are looking to pull the trigger at the end of the year or early 2018 on a Bambi Sport 16ft... we live in the northeast NJ & we all know northeast weather.. we want to know if anybody that has an airstream how does it hold up especially the roof without shelter out in the open.. we were thinking of installing or building carport to at least protect the top. Is this necessary? I am sure a lot of airstream owners keep it out in the elements has anybody experienced any issues like tongue rust, roof dry rot, sun damage or leaking? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you airstream owners & safe travels!!!!

Shorefoot
Shorefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Highlands , New Jersey
Airstream Storage

Hey folks my girlfriend & I are looking to pull the trigger at the end of the year or early 2018 on a Bambi Sport 16ft... we live in the northeast NJ & we all know northeast weather.. we want to know if anybody that has an airstream, how does it hold up especially the roof without shelter out in the open.. we were thinking of installing or building carport to at least protect the top. Is this necessary? I am sure a lot of airstream owners keep it out in the elements has anybody experienced any issues like tongue rust, roof dry rot, sun damage or leaking? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you airstream owners & safe travels!!!!

Shorefoot
Shorefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I think a cover is the most important "accessory" you can have for your Airstream.
Water and UV are the two worst enemies of any RV. Why pay a premium price for a nice new Airstream add then let it sit outside. Any money you spend on a cover for your trailer will be easily recouped when you sell it. Yes a full enclosed garage is best but just a nice cover will offer a lot of protection. A pristine looking used Airstream will be worth a lot more than one aged by the sun and weather. I would get the cover first and then the trailer. I made the mistake of restoring mine and then a couple of years later getting a cover to park in under, should have gotten the cover first.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote