Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
I know its petty....but for what these trailers sell for, you'd think it wouldn't be too big a stretch for the antifreeze suction hose to be pre-plumbed and easily accessible. Two more of those cheap valves, one more cheap plastic "Tee" and Bob's your uncle.

I'm a gearhead and love tinkering/improving on things but many are not and many just aren't physically able even if so inclined. When a retired couple is considering dumping nearly a $100k for a prestigious Airstream and rambling around the countryside in the lap of luxury, I'm sure rooting around in the bottom of a dusty closet or under a fridge shoving heater duct out of the way trying to figure out which side of the water pump is the suction doesn't come to mind.

I like improving on things but many times on the newer Airstreams, your efforts are not to make improvements but just trying to get it and keep it up to par. As I'd find the numerous problems with my brand new Airstream, I didn't mention the issues to my friends or family...as they suspected what I paid for the TT. Frankly and although I'm not easily embarrassed, I found it embarrassing and a poor reflection on my judgment. A fool and his money kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong....I love my Airstreams (past and present)...however, they seem to be perceived to be the best/top-of-the-line trailer to the masses, they are priced as the best thing going but there seems to be a gap or disconnect in there. Judging by some older model AS I had, they are not on the same trajectory as it relates to improvements/quality which isn't reflected in the price. It seems more like you get a "workable core" for your money. Certainly doesn't seem to follow Wally's ..."Let’s not make changes, let’s make only improvements" philosophy. Reminds me of the companies that provided cheap houses where the company completed the exterior of a house and the DIY buyer would complete the interior himself (at a substantial discount). Aside from the iconic body, the best improvements to later model Airstreams, in my eyes, were made by 3rd party suppliers (better A/Cs with heat pumps, better refrigerators, better hot water heaters, better toilets, stove tops, etc.) where Airstream saw fit to use them (not so much on convertors, level indicators, etc.) ...and not so much by Airstream.

When I buy (rescue) Airstream from Thor, I am going to make some serious "improvements", put the fat girls on a diet and make sure they are shod with proper shoes.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
From what I remember the in and out on the pump are labeled with directional arrows embossed in the molded plastic.
I used to just push a piece of clear plastic tubing onto the pump inlet and dangle it into my jug of antifreeze. I have since gotten the dealership to install a winterizing t and valve- same principle, but permanently mounted/easier to use.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I do beleive there are little tweaks that AS could make howevr on the hold I am very satisfied with our AS.. Not sure the T connection would make that much of a difference. I would much rather prefer they had made the base of the storage shed easily removable.It would had allow me more room to maneuver.

I also agree that getting down on the floor with bad knees and bifocals made it alot more difficult for me to work in tight spaces.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The t and a piece of tubing is easier because it is already on top of all the plumbing and ductwork- easier to get to- just grab the end of the plastic tubing and stick it in the antifreeze jug, turn the valve, and turn on the punp-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote