Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'll bet there are lots of worried AS owners

With this large deep freeze extending so far south I'll take a bet that there are a lot of Airstream owners getting worried. Almost, ALMOST, make me glad that I live in a part of the country where we have to fully winterize every year.

Good luck all of you southerners. I do sincerely hope that this cold spell is going to spare you and that you do not suffer any serious damage. We here in the north are used to it and this is nothing more than a little colder than usual.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
We live near Hot Springs Arkansas, it has been 11 degrees the last two mornings and has not been above 20 in two days.
Even though I fully winterized, have my Airstream and TV inside, I am still worried.
We'll see how well we did in a few months.

Rick

Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Even though we live in the south, I always keep our trailer fully winterized when not in use after the 1st of Nov. until the middle of March. You can always count on a cold enough time in the south to do damage to a rig that has not been fully winterized.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
What....me worry?

I live in Houston and my non-winterized ASCL resides in my back yard. All I do is turn on the furnace @ 40 degrees and put the hot water heater on electric and all is well.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We live in cold country so winterizing is routine here - but I am a little worried about how much snow soaked with rain then turned to ice might be up on top.

Our trailer is stored quite a ways from our house but when the weather warms up - predicted for this weekend - I will go check it out.

Probably not a lot I can do anyway.

Last year when we bought the trailer home to hit the road for Florida in mid Feb, there was a lot of snow/ice on the roof. I got off as much as I could standing on a ladder, but couldn't get it all and didn't want to risk getting onto the rroof with the ice up there - good way to ruin a snowbird trip!

My concern was in case a huge slab of the stuff came off as we headed down the highway with possible damage to following traffic.

I tried to stay in the slow lane a lot and keep my speed down - not much else I could do.

Luckily it all stayed put - when we hot warm weather, the water was running off in rivers!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are planning to head south the first week in Feb. I have the same concerns when there's snow / ice on the roof. So far we've been lucky and the sun has done it's job before we hit the road. We'll see this go around. Glad we don't head south this early though. Would hate to hit these cold temps down there. I usually put water in my tank before heading out but don't pump it through until well south. ( don't ask how I know to do that ).

Brian, how do you like the centramatic wheel balancers. I was thinking about them but have not made the jump yet.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We are planning to head south the first week in Feb. I have the same concerns when there's snow / ice on the roof. So far we've been lucky and the sun has done it's job before we hit the road. We'll see this go around. Glad we don't head south this early though. Would hate to hit these cold temps down there. I usually put water in my tank before heading out but don't pump it through until well south. ( don't ask how I know to do that ).

Brian, how do you like the centramatic wheel balancers. I was thinking about them but have not made the jump yet.

Hi Roger,

I think that the centramatics require a bit of a leap of faith!

I like the concept, and have seen the impressive demo on their website and that it what convinced me to buy them.

Perhaps you have seen it - they have one of their wheel balancers made with a transparent tube and large ball bearings in it mounted on an intentionally unbalanced wheel on a motor driven test rig all mounted on springs.

They run the wheel first without the balancer - and the whole thing just about jumps off the floor, then they run it with the balancer in place - smooth as silk.

Also they have a strobe light shining on it and you can see exactly how the ball bearings locate themselves exactly opposite to the unbalancing weight that they placed on the wheel.

All quite impressive.

The thing I don't know is in real life, how much of an imbalance the centramatics can take care of.

Some owners say that without them they were forever finding drawers that have slid out etc. and after, no more.

I can't say exactly the same - we still have the odd drawer that rolls out - but then, we sometimes have problems with the latches so that could be the problem too.

They may or may not put the wheels in perfect balance, but certainly should help to some degree and and I would buy them again - couldn't hurt!

But I would also always get my wheels balanced and hope that the centramatics can then compensate for imbalance in the brake drums or inaccuracy in balancing the wheels fully.

I have just put on a set of new 16" wheels and Michelin tires. When I asked the tire shop to balance the wheels, they seemed very surprised and told me that people don't balance trailer wheels and that there is no need!

Don't understand that comment and I got them balanced anyway!

I noticed some significant sized weights added to at least a couple of the wheels when hey were installing them on the railer!

When we head south, almost always we stop in a Flying J the first night with plumbing antifreeze still in the trailer and no water in the tank - I carry a five gallon jug of filtered water from home in the truck.

Usually on the second night away, we get to a campground and the weather is warm enough to flush the antifreeze and ale all systems operative -hopefully that will be the same this year, but the way things have been going,
who knows!

We will be heading to Arizona mid Feb.

Global warming ………….. Hmmm.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have seen that video. Looks pretty impressive. They put some kind of beads into truck tires and let them flow to where they're needed for balance. Far as I know it seems to work at least in principle. We also recently went to 16" michelins. Next month will be our first trip out on them so we'll see how they preform then. We sometimes find a drawer or two open also. Seemed to be more often before I changed to an Anderson hitch. A few years ago we Walmarted it on our trip to Fla. We stayed in Roanoak, VA that trip. I had pumped water through the trailer. It got down to 27 deg. and that was enough to seize the faucets tight in the morning. Fortunately things thawed as the day warmed and there was no damage. We're going to Fla again this time but thinking about heading west next year to see something different. We'll see. Curious to see if I can tell any differences this go around towing with the new tires / wheels. We'll see. We had a GYM on the edge of failure when I removed them. It was on the inside of the tread and I had missed it in my inspections. Got lucky on that one. Hope to avoid that.

Thanx again for your thoughts on the centramatics. Have to think some more on them. My tire guy balances the wheels for me and I don't even have to push him. Good for him.

Thanx and enjoy your trip west.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18