Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
If I Did a 'Blow Out' Of the Water Lines and No Water Came Out Did I do it Wrong?

Attempting to winterize for the first time.

Yesterday I opened all the freshwater lines and drove the airstream home 9 hours with the lines open.

Today I hooked up the aircompressor. Put it to 45 psi and attempted to blow out the water lines. No water came out of any of them. Does that mean I hooked it up wrong or could have all the water drained out yesterday on the way home?

Also, anyone know where to buy a cap for the hotwater heater? That little thing was a pain to remove and of course then I dropped it and couldn't find it.
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, actually driving with the faucets AND the low point drains open will drain the majority of the water. But you should still blow the lines. That will help remove any pockets of water remaining in faucet valves, etc. You may just see mist or drips out of the faucets and low point drains with this method, but it is still important to blow the lines and/or install antifreeze.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So if you close all the drains/faucets except one, and then apply air pressure, it should blow out that line. Then you close it, open the next drain/faucet, and repeat. If you have them all open at once you probably won't have enough pressure to run anything out. Though I would think driving for 9 hours might have been enough to drain everything already!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I bought some new drain plugs on eBay for mine. Only a few dollars for a pair of them.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
you can get a WH plug with a drain valve in it from Outdoors Mart or Vintage trailer. That way you do not have to take it out again.
Not sure where or how the water would drain out of the lines while pulling the trailer unless the low point drains were open. If they are open then most of it would drain. If they were closed the pump would have to be running to empty the lines, I think.
45 psi is plenty. But you can only have one valve open at a time and the low point drains have to be closed.

What I knew but forgot for a moment in the heat of the battle is that there is a check valve on the water inlet. I blew the lines, closed the last faucet off, and unplugged the air compressor. Then I took the plug out of the WH. 45 psi of air behind 6 gallons of cold water gave me a quick bath and I never did find the plastic plut.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
you can get a WH plug with a drain valve in it from Outdoors Mart or Vintage trailer. That way you do not have to take it out again.
Not sure where or how the water would drain out of the lines while pulling the trailer unless the low point drains were open. If they are open then most of it would drain. If they were closed the pump would have to be running to empty the lines, I think.
45 psi is plenty. But you can only have one valve open at a time and the low point drains have to be closed.

What I knew but forgot for a moment in the heat of the battle is that there is a check valve on the water inlet. I blew the lines, closed the last faucet off, and unplugged the air compressor. Then I took the plug out of the WH. 45 psi of air behind 6 gallons of cold water gave me a quick bath and I never did find the plastic plut.
At least your water was cold! Like an idiot, I forgot the water heater had been on and got blasted with hot water!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The water heater plug should be a standard pipe fitting. Mine looks to be 3/4" and a replacement should easily be found at any good hardware or plumbing supply. They just might even have one with a valve built in. Our first AS was a 1985 model and had enough room in the compartment for a boiler cock. Which is a regular valve that screwed into the plug orifice. Our current AS doesn't have enough room so I have a plug with a twist valve in it. If using a plug I'd advise using plastic or brass rather than a steel one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I had the low point drains open while driving.

My other question is I'm not sure I drained the air compressor properly. It still was gurgling but I couldn't get all the water out. I turned it on and detached each side separately (I wasn't sure which was intake and which was outtake) to try and flush the water out but am not sure I got it all. Any tips on that?
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpettit View Post
I had the low point drains open while driving.

My other question is I'm not sure I drained the air compressor properly. It still was gurgling but I couldn't get all the water out. I turned it on and detached each side separately (I wasn't sure which was intake and which was outtake) to try and flush the water out but am not sure I got it all. Any tips on that?
While you're flushing the system, don't forget to blow out the line leading to the toilet! Someone has to hold the toilet flush valve open while you're applying air.

And if you have an external shower, don't forget it, either. You actually have to hook up the shower hose on mine to blow out the shower fitting, but that will vary by the design of the shower; if your external shower is just a faucet connection you might be able to blow it out without hooking up the shower hose.

And another "don't forget" is your black tank flush fitting. If you've used it, the check valve in the hose connection could retain water unless you blow it out.

As for draining the air compressor, I assume that you have a tank-style compressor, not a tankless one, or you wouldn't be asking about draining it. Somewhere on the bottom of the tank should be a drain valve. You can leave some compressed air in the tank when you open the valve, which will help to blow out the water.

I assume that you use an oil-free compressor when blowing out your lines, too. You should, at least, to avoid oil getting into your freshwater system.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My old 04 30 ' classic got cold in a storm in Idaho , I opened all the drains and the two low point ones, so cold I couldn't find my wrench for the hot water heater. The next afternoon at home I went to drain the water heater and everything was dry,very lucky as it was below freezing..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I used a boiler cock for the water heater. Found a very small unit with a nice handle. Easy to open and close easily.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I used a boiler cock for the water heater. Found a very small unit with a nice handle. Easy to open and close easily.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
At a glance, this one looks like it might fit my 6-gallon Atwood: http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Gra...28Lead+Free%29

3/4" IPT is the right size, yes? If this one will fit, then I'll be buying one very soon. The ability to attach a hose on the discharge side to route the water away from the side of my Airstream is a big part of the appeal.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Looks like a good one, but some of us found (contrary to my prior SOB) that the routing of the gas line prevented something of that size. I had to go with a rather small orificed, low profile setup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Looks like a good one, but some of us found (contrary to my prior SOB) that the routing of the gas line prevented something of that size. I had to go with a rather small orificed, low profile setup.
Source?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I tried a boiler cock in my current 2001 AS and there wasn't enough room even if I tried to move the gas line a bit. So I found a plug with a threaded insert. I'm not sure where I got it but it is a common item.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up P-cock ....

This one did fit ours....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote