Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2004, 08:08 AM   #1
rex
1 Rivet Member

Hurricane Frances

Does anyone know how to tie down an Airstream ? We are very close to projected path.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
Does anyone know how to tie down an Airstream ? We are very close to projected path.
I would start by saying to leave it hooked to tow vehicle to keep it from trying to weather vane and fold the tongue jack.

If that's not possible get some long steel spikes drive them in at angled away 20 inches our so from the corner of the bumper and tie off around the frame ends. If you have a bumper box that will not allow the put the stakes directly behind the bumper about 20 inches back and 24 inches apart and loop the tie down around the bumper end back to the stake. The goal is to keep it from weather vaning in the wind.

Do the same off the A-Frame. I would recommend finding something heavy about 15 inches tall that is very stable to put under the tongue jack to have as little of that jack down as possible. That jack could bend with a lot of wind trying to turn the coach. If it’s only down a couple of inches it will remove a LOT of the leverage potential and lessen the possibility of it getting bent and the coach nosing over where the wind can get under it easier.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I would start by saying to leave it hooked to tow vehicle ...

me, too. then I would get in said tow vehicle, put it in drive, and start heading north!

hey, its a long weekend. you wanted to go camping, anyway, didn't you?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
me, too. then I would get in said tow vehicle, put it in drive, and start heading north!

hey, its a long weekend. you wanted to go camping, anyway, didn't you?
Yeah that's the better advice for sure. Temp is down up here north of Atlanta. Actually really nice in the evenings last few days. Weather is supose to be good till Monday. Maybe see if you can get into top of GA AS park. They have a little elevation so proably looking mid 60's in the morning this weekend. Spend the weekend around the Helen area.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would get that thing as close to the ground as possible. Take the wheels off, dig a hole for the brake hubs, lower the thing as close to the ground as possible, then strap and stake it down. This is if you are far enough from the shore to avoid the tidal surge.
Good luck. I still prefer parking it in Eric's driveway, if you have time to GET OUT!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Fyi

I see alot of references to Top of Georgia as a get away this weekend.

Just in case some were not aware, Top of Georgia is first come first serve to WBCCI members only. (no reservations allowed)

You may want to call ahead and make certain the TOG is not having a Rally this weekend. If they are, it will be close to full if not full. That is a big unit of the WBCCI.

Membership does have its privileges
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Exclamation "Crucial" Hurricane Information

You all should be aware of hurricane preparations, but in case you need a refresher course:

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any minute now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic Ocean and making two basic meteorological points.

(1) There is no need to panic.

(2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one."

Based on our insurance industry experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1:
Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.

STEP 2:
Put these supplies into your car.

STEP 3:
Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween. Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida.

We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE:

If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and

(2) It is located in Wisconsin

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.

So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.

SHUTTERS:

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters:
The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap.

Sheet-metal shutters:
The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters:
The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows:
These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing your property:
As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc...
You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE:

If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida," you live in a low-lying area).

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES:

If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of SPAM.

In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

1. 23 flashlights and at least $167 worth of batteries that, when the power goes off, turn out to be the wrong size for the flashlights.

2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)

3. A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.)

4. A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)

5. $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Maintaining a sense of humor is the only way to deal with mother nature.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
This is what I did in the front and back. Those are metal bed rails approx. 5' long pounded in to the ground at a 45 degree angle with a sledge hammer. 5000 lb. ratcheted straps hooked on to them. Who knows if it will work or not. Better than nothing I guess.

Just tested out my generator. Started on one pull. Fridge is cold, water tank full, wheels chocked. If the trailer survives and the power goes out, I will finally get to camp in my trailer... in my own yard of course.

I like Brett's suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strap22.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	8594  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
But!

Brett,
You forgot to mention in using hurricane shutters on your house that the windows will still be there but the roof will be more than likely missing. But at least you have your windows. I was watching one of the news channels and of course they are interviewing anybody with an opinion This one "person" wondered why the government wasn't helping with the cost of relocating people out of the "dangerous area" of Florida. Last time I checked no one had a gun held to their head and told they had to move to Florida or else...or did I miss that part?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Brett,
I was watching one of the news channels and of course they are interviewing anybody with an opinion
Aaron
And then there's the guy on CNN this morning who did a 'spectacular' job of bringing in the owner's yacht. While they are interviewing him, the yacht is be pounded to pieces against the pier because he didn't bother to finish securing it and putting out some fenders. And his first mate is on the way to the hospital. He's oblivious. He's a hero because:
1. He lost all his ground tackle
2. Lost an engine and the generator/bow thruster
3. Didn't plan ahead and move to the Keys yesterday with everyone else
4. Thought he was safe on the ICW.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You know, it's right about this time of year that the 106 degree temperatures don't seem so bad. Hope all in eastern Florida keep the shiney side up.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #12
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Although I'm in Europe I listen to WDBO.com (Orlando )while reading these posts.

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I know it is not Tuesday night, but it might be cool to chat fir those that are in the hurricane path, or curious what others are experiencing. I will be there for a few hours, or until I lose my cable modem
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I know lots of forum members join with me in wishing safe passage to all through this storm.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
So far, so good NW of Gainesville. Wind is picking up a bit, still no rain.
See how we are doing, weather wise at: Our Weather Station
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

REX, and others,
I know this answer is a bit late as far as this storm is concerned but might be helpful for future thought. After a bit of thought, I came up with the following.
My thoughts would be to buy a set of the long mobile home anchors and banding straps to start with. The type that have a auger on one end and a banding ratchet on the other. First, with the TT in its final resting position, mark the ground where all the anchor points would need to be as well as tire locations for digging two shallow "ruts" to pull the TT in so that I could get the TT a little lower to the ground to help keep the wind from trying to lift it, but not all the way to the ground. (You gotta be able to get it back out and you don't want to worry about it being flooded with a couple inches of watter. Then I would back the TT up, and begin digging the "ruts" and setting the anchors in place that I could before moving the TT back in place. There will probably some that you will have to put in after the TT is in place. Usually you will remove the ratchet bolt and screw the anchor in the ground by using a 2x4 in the channel section that you removed the ratchet bolt from. If it were me, I would use at least 8 anchors and depending on the severity of the situation probably 12. Two to secure across the toungue, two for each axle set, two for the bumper area, and then two on each side of the TT with straps going over the TT at a rib point ..useing a old blanket or something between the strap and the skin of the TT. I would just "snug" these straps a little trying to not put too much pressure as to distort the body.
This method may help someone or at least generate some other suggestions. For those of you who are affected by this storm, my thought and prayers are with you.
For future reference, if any one is having to leave there home to get away from one of these storms and need a place to park, you are welcome at my place. I live about 15 miles south of Albany Ga., just a bit off of U.S. 19. in the country and could get you hooked up to power and water. There are many people around here that would gladly help someone in need of a place to park. The RV parks in the area filled up quickly but there are alot of people in this area that would gladly help. We have not been through a hurricane but have endured tornados and floods in the area over the years. So why end up in a parking lot when you can enjoy some true southern hospitality. I am quite sure there are many other people on this site that would offer the same as well.
dbm04F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #17

Waiting.....Waiting.............Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
So far, so good NW of Gainesville. Wind is picking up a bit, still no rain.
See how we are doing, weather wise at: Our Weather Station
We are in Gainesville, FL. not quite a long distance call south of High Springs. It rained today, but you had to look quickly to catch it in the act. At the end of this month we will move to Georgia. First stop will be Camp Hosting for the winter at Moccasin Creek State Park. This will also be esentially our first trip with the Airstream. It will be "Sink or "Swim" time! Until then, we get to deal with hurricanes.

I moved our Excella to a church parking lot to get it away from our old, old oak trees. They announced in the paper there would be no Sunday services, so I hope they don't mind. It increases the wind threat, but I am truly concerned over those heavy oak branches adding "character".

I lived in Gainesville many years ago, during the Cuban Missile Crisis of October, 1962. Gaineville is divided by Highway 441 down its middle. During the Missile crisis it was impossible to get across 441 for HOURS at a time because of the bumper to bumper traffic of Army convoys going south for potential war in Cuba. I was a Freshman at University of Florida at the time, and missed several classes as my own "war sacrifice". It remains an awesome memory of a momentous event.

Last Thursday evening I observed something remarkably similar. There was uninterrupted bumper to bumper traffic again, but this time moving North and stopping at traffic lights. It was civilian, rather than military. Their license plates read Miami, West Palm, Orlando, Melbourne. Rather than going into harms way, they were trying to escape from Nature itself. Rather than arms, they carried what was most precious to them, and LOTS of it! There were travel trailers, jet skies. motor cycles, huge piles of clothes, pets of various species and children who varied considerably in their ability or willingness to deal with it all. Their cars and trucks were packed impossibly full. Some looked like they had squeezed out all the air before packing. What wouldn't cram in was towed or stacked on top.

They were like a silent relentless and irresistable force, seemingly endless and driven by the need to get somewhere...anywhere...away. They carried so much because what they had might be all they would have. They would probably have to get well into Georgia before they found a place to stop. Even the Rest Stops on nearby I-75 had to be closed. People waiting to get into them were stopped in the traffic lanes, and that was just too dangerous. Besides, traffic had to be kept moving. They sucked dry many of the gas stations on their way through because they had to keep moving. Thousands of them.

Watching this phenomenon gave me a twinge of survivors guilt for having a nearby comfortable safe home. That human tidal flow has ended now. That part of life is back to normal. But I stopped in a grocery store after parking the trailer. Never have I seen so many doing so much for so little! There was not much left, but people wanted it anyway, just in case. Things that no one EVER wanted before were now gone because if YOU didn't take it, it might not be there soon! Although orderly and fairly quiet, it was still a form of mass madness. I wonder what some of those people will think when they actually realize what they acquired in order to deal with this "crisis". Even the magazines at the check out stands were GONE, although we ALL know that NOBODY ever actually reads them.

Now, it's just the waiting. It seems like this storm is taking longer to make up its mind than Floridians take to count Presidential Election votes! And the outcome is equally indeterminate. It wears on you, this waiting. If Florence wants my house, fine. Come on! Let's get it over with! Enough of this "cat and Mouse" game! I'm running low on patience. Do what you're going to do, already.

Then I remember that human tsunami sweeping inland last Thursday. I have no idea where they might have ended up. But they wait too. Their homes and life styles are in greater danger than mine. They don't know how long they must wait or what they will come back to when they can. Not all their endings will be happy ones. So maybe I can sit in my comfortable chair in my safe dry house and maybe I can wait with them. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, at least for myself.

Please forgive a first post that is WAY off topic. Writing helps, and the wait remains difficult. Pray with me for those whose wait is so much harder.

Ken

When the chips are down, the buffalo move on.
Ken-Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64

2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)
My mother told me about this when I was a child . You use it to fill the BATHTUB, silly!

Ken (not in Wisconsin)

Ken-Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Emily
My mother told me about this when I was a child . You use it to fill the BATHTUB, silly!

Ken (not in Wisconsin)

Very good. You use it in the water, so you can drink it. IIRC, a cup for every 60 gallons or so.
The rest of my family room ceiling fell down last night, I have the insulation shored up with plywood and 2x4's. My computer is located in the family room, so I have moved to Marie's computer in the kitchen (she likes to surf while cooking). Power and cable have been off and on all night, from some of the lines being weakened from Charley. Frances made landfall (where the eye of the storm came ashore) at Stuart, almost straight across the state. One of our forum members lives there, and if all went well got a brand-new 25'CCD a couple of weeks ago. I have not been able to contact him or his wife, hope they and their new coach are okay.
The storm seems to be moving due West, instead of North West, and of course is headed for my living room. Again. Life in Florida is interesting.
Terry
(on Marie's computer)
Old 09-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I still have power, but it has been kicking on and off recently. Wind gusts up to 50mph right now, and the storm hasn't hit here yet. The trailer seems to be doing fine because fortunately, the wind is blowing head on in to it.

I was chatting with Brett (TheNewKid64) and Terry (Argosy20) earlier in the chat room, but I'm guessing they lost power. Hope they are OK.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote