Old 09-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
rex
1 Rivet Member

Hurricane Frances

Does anyone know how to tie down an Airstream ? We are very close to projected path.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
Does anyone know how to tie down an Airstream ? We are very close to projected path.
I would start by saying to leave it hooked to tow vehicle to keep it from trying to weather vane and fold the tongue jack.

If that's not possible get some long steel spikes drive them in at angled away 20 inches our so from the corner of the bumper and tie off around the frame ends. If you have a bumper box that will not allow the put the stakes directly behind the bumper about 20 inches back and 24 inches apart and loop the tie down around the bumper end back to the stake. The goal is to keep it from weather vaning in the wind.

Do the same off the A-Frame. I would recommend finding something heavy about 15 inches tall that is very stable to put under the tongue jack to have as little of that jack down as possible. That jack could bend with a lot of wind trying to turn the coach. If itís only down a couple of inches it will remove a LOT of the leverage potential and lessen the possibility of it getting bent and the coach nosing over where the wind can get under it easier.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
I would start by saying to leave it hooked to tow vehicle ...

me, too. then I would get in said tow vehicle, put it in drive, and start heading north!

hey, its a long weekend. you wanted to go camping, anyway, didn't you?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
me, too. then I would get in said tow vehicle, put it in drive, and start heading north!

hey, its a long weekend. you wanted to go camping, anyway, didn't you?
Yeah that's the better advice for sure. Temp is down up here north of Atlanta. Actually really nice in the evenings last few days. Weather is supose to be good till Monday. Maybe see if you can get into top of GA AS park. They have a little elevation so proably looking mid 60's in the morning this weekend. Spend the weekend around the Helen area.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
I would get that thing as close to the ground as possible. Take the wheels off, dig a hole for the brake hubs, lower the thing as close to the ground as possible, then strap and stake it down. This is if you are far enough from the shore to avoid the tidal surge.
Good luck. I still prefer parking it in Eric's driveway, if you have time to GET OUT!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Fyi

I see alot of references to Top of Georgia as a get away this weekend.

Just in case some were not aware, Top of Georgia is first come first serve to WBCCI members only. (no reservations allowed)

You may want to call ahead and make certain the TOG is not having a Rally this weekend. If they are, it will be close to full if not full. That is a big unit of the WBCCI.

Membership does have its privileges
Smily
Old 09-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Exclamation "Crucial" Hurricane Information

You all should be aware of hurricane preparations, but in case you need a refresher course:

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any minute now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic Ocean and making two basic meteorological points.

(1) There is no need to panic.

(2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one."

Based on our insurance industry experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1:
Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.

STEP 2:
Put these supplies into your car.

STEP 3:
Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween. Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida.

We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE:

If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and

(2) It is located in Wisconsin

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.

So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.

SHUTTERS:

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters:
The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap.

Sheet-metal shutters:
The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters:
The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows:
These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing your property:
As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc...
You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE:

If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida," you live in a low-lying area).

The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES:

If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of SPAM.

In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

1. 23 flashlights and at least $167 worth of batteries that, when the power goes off, turn out to be the wrong size for the flashlights.

2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)

3. A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.)

4. A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)

5. $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

Maintaining a sense of humor is the only way to deal with mother nature.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
This is what I did in the front and back. Those are metal bed rails approx. 5' long pounded in to the ground at a 45 degree angle with a sledge hammer. 5000 lb. ratcheted straps hooked on to them. Who knows if it will work or not. Better than nothing I guess.

Just tested out my generator. Started on one pull. Fridge is cold, water tank full, wheels chocked. If the trailer survives and the power goes out, I will finally get to camp in my trailer... in my own yard of course.

I like Brett's suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strap22.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	8594  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
But!

Brett,
You forgot to mention in using hurricane shutters on your house that the windows will still be there but the roof will be more than likely missing. But at least you have your windows. I was watching one of the news channels and of course they are interviewing anybody with an opinion This one "person" wondered why the government wasn't helping with the cost of relocating people out of the "dangerous area" of Florida. Last time I checked no one had a gun held to their head and told they had to move to Florida or else...or did I miss that part?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Brett,
I was watching one of the news channels and of course they are interviewing anybody with an opinion
Aaron
And then there's the guy on CNN this morning who did a 'spectacular' job of bringing in the owner's yacht. While they are interviewing him, the yacht is be pounded to pieces against the pier because he didn't bother to finish securing it and putting out some fenders. And his first mate is on the way to the hospital. He's oblivious. He's a hero because:
1. He lost all his ground tackle
2. Lost an engine and the generator/bow thruster
3. Didn't plan ahead and move to the Keys yesterday with everyone else
4. Thought he was safe on the ICW.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You know, it's right about this time of year that the 106 degree temperatures don't seem so bad. Hope all in eastern Florida keep the shiney side up.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Although I'm in Europe I listen to WDBO.com (Orlando )while reading these posts.

Ron
Old 09-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I know it is not Tuesday night, but it might be cool to chat fir those that are in the hurricane path, or curious what others are experiencing. I will be there for a few hours, or until I lose my cable modem
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I know lots of forum members join with me in wishing safe passage to all through this storm.

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote