Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Marie and Terry

Glad to hear you two are OK. Marie, I guess your week of vacation will be spent doing work around the house. Sorry about that.

I like your idea of facing south with huge fans to blow Ivan away! Do you think Fantastic Fan can help with that? LOL

Regards,
Rick

Old 09-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If you run the AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Alston
Marie and Terry

I like your idea of facing south with huge fans to blow Ivan away! Do you think Fantastic Fan can help with that? LOL

Regards,
Rick
Rick, after careful meterological study... I think that everyone with a fantastic fan starts the airconditioning unit on their RV and sets the thermostat to artic blast, then put all of your fanstatic fans on exhaust, maybe we can lower the ambient air temperature enough to steer the hurricane away, however we must enter the heat generated by the AC exhaust, and the generators into the equation....

Marie,
Glad to hear you guys are okay, I was talking with Terry yesterday when the power went out. I know what you mean about "being on Vacation" I was "off" Labor Day weekend, but on call for the VA projects. Which means no plans or maybe I should have planned a weekend getaway to the VA Beach area...with a few hundred thousand other people...NOT!

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Tampa is still here, although mostly under water. The storm is now in the Gulf getting back up to hurricane speed and sending the storm surge back in to the bay. Not good for those on the coast. I am fortunate to be on high ground.

My trailer is in tact. The straps kept it steady on the ground. What a mess! I talked to Brett this morning, and he is OK.

Oh, and Ivan is coming and is already a Category 4!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ivan.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	8624  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #32
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Glad to hear ya'll are ok. Hotels were full all the way to Chattanooga and I hear that folks are starting to head back to Fla to check on damage. We are supposed to get the rain from Frances starting tomorrow. Luckily, the winds will have died down by the time they get this far up. Offer of the driveway is still open for Ivan if someone needs it!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yep I spent yesterday getting ready for the rain here in Atlanta. We had a guy buy an empty lot behind us and put a 300k house on it and took out all the trees. Then brings in about 30 dump truck fulls of dirt and screwed up the run off. He's buddy buddy with the local inpector so we are not getting any help out of the county.

So I was having water get into my garage and I made a water bar by sinking some cinder blocks and then back filling over them yesterday. Should keep my garage dry but need to finish up.

Ny next door neighbor just did $20k in renovations and owned the house since new (32years). Never had a water problem and now does. She is having to spen $2k to have some water control work done to protect her property. The house accross the street was built ne 6 years ago. Last rain their finished basement got flooded for the first time ever but the county says nothing wrong. Everything we do up here to get the water away from our house is making it worse on them.

We will end up in court with this idiot behind us.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #34
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hang in there Toaster! Sometimes neighbors can be such pains in the a...!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Take the county to court, class action. If the inspector made a deal with this guy he did it other places and they are likly looking for relief as well.
OR.... everyone could chip in and build a dam around him two feet higher than his grade on adjounting property.... Call it a garden wall....
Old 09-07-2004, 12:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Take the county to court, class action. If the inspector made a deal with this guy he did it other places and they are likly looking for relief as well.
OR.... everyone could chip in and build a dam around him two feet higher than his grade on adjounting property.... Call it a garden wall....
The wall would have to be 40ft high. His basement floor is still 20ft higher then my roof because of the grade.

We are trying to get the state inspector in to look at it and make a call.

I was helping out the neighbor accross the street today. Loaned them 24 12x8 cinder blocks to help divert the water till they can get this resolved.

He had somebody else from the county out and they agreed there was a problem and the county was was going to grade that side yard to keep the water away from his house. A work order was issued. The buddy inspector comes by and says nothing wrong and cancels the work order.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Frances Report

Made it through unscathed. Airstream is fine, house is fine. A tree trunk came down on our horse pasture fence, but it is intact. One other branch came down on the horse stalls, but no damage other than a dented roof panel. We have had 10.25 inches of rain as of 7 AM this morning.

Our Honda EU2000i has been running for close to 60 hours now, keeping the fridge running and giving us a few lights and TV, that is, until the wind knocked the DirecTV dish out of alignment. I'll have to change the oil tonight. The little bugger runs for about 9 hours on 1 gallon of fuel, using the auto idle feature Landline phones are out also.

Will be using the Airstream for showers tonight as we have used all the hot water that was left in the electric water heater in the house.

I was afraid I would find some wet spots in the A/S, with all this rain, but so far she is bone dry!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:51 AM   #38
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Made it through, Lost my cable, and Internet, have power though. MH pointed into the winds rode them out fine. Lost a couple of sections of fence, but that is not bad, I lose some in normal winds. Now we get to prepare for Ivan...........

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote