Old 09-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
So far, so good NW of Gainesville. Wind is picking up a bit, still no rain.
See how we are doing, weather wise at: Our Weather Station

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

REX, and others,
I know this answer is a bit late as far as this storm is concerned but might be helpful for future thought. After a bit of thought, I came up with the following.
My thoughts would be to buy a set of the long mobile home anchors and banding straps to start with. The type that have a auger on one end and a banding ratchet on the other. First, with the TT in its final resting position, mark the ground where all the anchor points would need to be as well as tire locations for digging two shallow "ruts" to pull the TT in so that I could get the TT a little lower to the ground to help keep the wind from trying to lift it, but not all the way to the ground. (You gotta be able to get it back out and you don't want to worry about it being flooded with a couple inches of watter. Then I would back the TT up, and begin digging the "ruts" and setting the anchors in place that I could before moving the TT back in place. There will probably some that you will have to put in after the TT is in place. Usually you will remove the ratchet bolt and screw the anchor in the ground by using a 2x4 in the channel section that you removed the ratchet bolt from. If it were me, I would use at least 8 anchors and depending on the severity of the situation probably 12. Two to secure across the toungue, two for each axle set, two for the bumper area, and then two on each side of the TT with straps going over the TT at a rib point ..useing a old blanket or something between the strap and the skin of the TT. I would just "snug" these straps a little trying to not put too much pressure as to distort the body.
This method may help someone or at least generate some other suggestions. For those of you who are affected by this storm, my thought and prayers are with you.
For future reference, if any one is having to leave there home to get away from one of these storms and need a place to park, you are welcome at my place. I live about 15 miles south of Albany Ga., just a bit off of U.S. 19. in the country and could get you hooked up to power and water. There are many people around here that would gladly help someone in need of a place to park. The RV parks in the area filled up quickly but there are alot of people in this area that would gladly help. We have not been through a hurricane but have endured tornados and floods in the area over the years. So why end up in a parking lot when you can enjoy some true southern hospitality. I am quite sure there are many other people on this site that would offer the same as well.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #17

Waiting.....Waiting.............Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
So far, so good NW of Gainesville. Wind is picking up a bit, still no rain.
See how we are doing, weather wise at: Our Weather Station
We are in Gainesville, FL. not quite a long distance call south of High Springs. It rained today, but you had to look quickly to catch it in the act. At the end of this month we will move to Georgia. First stop will be Camp Hosting for the winter at Moccasin Creek State Park. This will also be esentially our first trip with the Airstream. It will be "Sink or "Swim" time! Until then, we get to deal with hurricanes.

I moved our Excella to a church parking lot to get it away from our old, old oak trees. They announced in the paper there would be no Sunday services, so I hope they don't mind. It increases the wind threat, but I am truly concerned over those heavy oak branches adding "character".

I lived in Gainesville many years ago, during the Cuban Missile Crisis of October, 1962. Gaineville is divided by Highway 441 down its middle. During the Missile crisis it was impossible to get across 441 for HOURS at a time because of the bumper to bumper traffic of Army convoys going south for potential war in Cuba. I was a Freshman at University of Florida at the time, and missed several classes as my own "war sacrifice". It remains an awesome memory of a momentous event.

Last Thursday evening I observed something remarkably similar. There was uninterrupted bumper to bumper traffic again, but this time moving North and stopping at traffic lights. It was civilian, rather than military. Their license plates read Miami, West Palm, Orlando, Melbourne. Rather than going into harms way, they were trying to escape from Nature itself. Rather than arms, they carried what was most precious to them, and LOTS of it! There were travel trailers, jet skies. motor cycles, huge piles of clothes, pets of various species and children who varied considerably in their ability or willingness to deal with it all. Their cars and trucks were packed impossibly full. Some looked like they had squeezed out all the air before packing. What wouldn't cram in was towed or stacked on top.

They were like a silent relentless and irresistable force, seemingly endless and driven by the need to get somewhere...anywhere...away. They carried so much because what they had might be all they would have. They would probably have to get well into Georgia before they found a place to stop. Even the Rest Stops on nearby I-75 had to be closed. People waiting to get into them were stopped in the traffic lanes, and that was just too dangerous. Besides, traffic had to be kept moving. They sucked dry many of the gas stations on their way through because they had to keep moving. Thousands of them.

Watching this phenomenon gave me a twinge of survivors guilt for having a nearby comfortable safe home. That human tidal flow has ended now. That part of life is back to normal. But I stopped in a grocery store after parking the trailer. Never have I seen so many doing so much for so little! There was not much left, but people wanted it anyway, just in case. Things that no one EVER wanted before were now gone because if YOU didn't take it, it might not be there soon! Although orderly and fairly quiet, it was still a form of mass madness. I wonder what some of those people will think when they actually realize what they acquired in order to deal with this "crisis". Even the magazines at the check out stands were GONE, although we ALL know that NOBODY ever actually reads them.

Now, it's just the waiting. It seems like this storm is taking longer to make up its mind than Floridians take to count Presidential Election votes! And the outcome is equally indeterminate. It wears on you, this waiting. If Florence wants my house, fine. Come on! Let's get it over with! Enough of this "cat and Mouse" game! I'm running low on patience. Do what you're going to do, already.

Then I remember that human tsunami sweeping inland last Thursday. I have no idea where they might have ended up. But they wait too. Their homes and life styles are in greater danger than mine. They don't know how long they must wait or what they will come back to when they can. Not all their endings will be happy ones. So maybe I can sit in my comfortable chair in my safe dry house and maybe I can wait with them. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, at least for myself.

Please forgive a first post that is WAY off topic. Writing helps, and the wait remains difficult. Pray with me for those whose wait is so much harder.

Ken

When the chips are down, the buffalo move on.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64

2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!)
My mother told me about this when I was a child . You use it to fill the BATHTUB, silly!

Ken (not in Wisconsin)

Old 09-05-2004, 07:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-Emily
My mother told me about this when I was a child . You use it to fill the BATHTUB, silly!

Ken (not in Wisconsin)

Very good. You use it in the water, so you can drink it. IIRC, a cup for every 60 gallons or so.
The rest of my family room ceiling fell down last night, I have the insulation shored up with plywood and 2x4's. My computer is located in the family room, so I have moved to Marie's computer in the kitchen (she likes to surf while cooking). Power and cable have been off and on all night, from some of the lines being weakened from Charley. Frances made landfall (where the eye of the storm came ashore) at Stuart, almost straight across the state. One of our forum members lives there, and if all went well got a brand-new 25'CCD a couple of weeks ago. I have not been able to contact him or his wife, hope they and their new coach are okay.
The storm seems to be moving due West, instead of North West, and of course is headed for my living room. Again. Life in Florida is interesting.
Terry
(on Marie's computer)
Old 09-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I still have power, but it has been kicking on and off recently. Wind gusts up to 50mph right now, and the storm hasn't hit here yet. The trailer seems to be doing fine because fortunately, the wind is blowing head on in to it.

I was chatting with Brett (TheNewKid64) and Terry (Argosy20) earlier in the chat room, but I'm guessing they lost power. Hope they are OK.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I was just talking to Brett via phone and his cable went out while we were talking but all is fine up there. Just no Internet at the moment.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I was just talking to Brett via phone and his cable went out while we were talking but all is fine up there. Just no Internet at the moment.
Geez, I would go crazy without my internet connection! I can live without water food and electricity, but not without internet!

Good to hear he is OK.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Silver Lining on the Clouds

There are some pluses to hurricanes--at least from a Minnesota perspective. We get to see our daughter and 15 month old grand daughter for the second time in a month. When Charley hit Orlando they were up here in Minnesota coincidentally for a convention. This second time with Frances they wisely hopped on an airplane and are staying the week here in Minnesota. Our grand daughter has flown on an airplane now more times than she is months old.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
Geez, I would go crazy without my internet connection! I can live without water food and electricity, but not without internet!

Good to hear he is OK.
Brett and I have the same ISP, cable was on and off all day, as was power. Phones went out for several hours because one of Sprint's relay buildings got hit with Frances. I seem to have emerged from the storm needing a new family room ceiling, other than that no real problems.
Terry
Old 09-05-2004, 05:02 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Terry,
Glad to see you are back and more less in one piece. Family room ceilings can be replaced...how did the truck make out?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Terry,
how did the truck make out?

Aaron
Not a scratch...
Terry
Old 09-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
[QUOTE=smily]I see alot of references to Top of Georgia as a get away this weekend.

Just in case some were not aware, Top of Georgia is first come first serve to WBCCI members only. (no reservations allowed)

You may want to call ahead and make certain the TOG is not having a Rally this weekend. If they are, it will be close to full if not full. That is a big unit of the WBCCI.

Ken, you were giving good advice.

Just came from a big state park in middle Tennessee. Trailers from florida have been pouring in the last couple of days. I have heard that every motel, campground, etc. is full from Florida to who knows where. We are easily 200 miles north of Atlanta.

Best of luck to you Florida folk.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Aaron,
Marie here. Truck made out fine. Ww haven't seen the Argosy yet, but it was in a secure pole barn out on the farm.
We lost power a couple of times, the ceiling in the family room, and a few more branches. We have a very bare tree in the front yard that only has 4 big branches left. It looks like the one on the cover of the movie the nightmare before Christmas.
Now we can look forward to Ivan. Great!!!! I am on vacation this week, and already had to go in on Sunday, mandatory for department heads to be in the facility, so, I guess next week we do it again.
Or, we can all go stand out on a bridge facing south, with huge fans, and blow Ivan further south!!!!
I'm over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I truly hope and pray all are well and safe.
Marie