Old 10-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
How I winterized my Airstream

I didn't have an opportunity to do the pre-delivery checklist or familiarization since I bought the trailer from the dealer in Seattle. I looked at it once on a shirt trip to Seattle. The next time I saw it was at the port of Anchorage.

I scoured the internet and took the best of all the directions I could find. The following YouTube video is what I came up with. The only thing I left out was to remind people to make sure the hot water bypass valves and the low point waterline valves are closed before you pressurize the system.

Opinions vary on how to accomplish this task. I'll be looking forward to hearing yours.

Of course: Your mileage may vary! Enjoy.

Mark
WL7NI

Winterizing my Airstream - YouTube

Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Just a couple of things to mention that may or may not be relevant -

There are quite a few things that are easy to forget when running the pink stuff through

- run both sink taps, hot and cold,

- run galley sink sprayer if there is one

- remove . protect water filter it there is one

- leave lots of pink stuff in toilet bowl - some will evaporate and you don't want the seal to dry out. (found this by experience!)

- if the toilet has a rinse hose, run it until pink. (Something else I learned by experience! I didn't even know our toilet had a rinse hose. The previous owner had tucked it in behind the toilet! I only found out in Springtime when we put water back in the trailer and found it leaking out from under the toilet - burst hose and split spray nozzle, $36!)

- run shower, both hot and cold until pink.

When all is done, I generally crack the water in and water out to the hot water tank and let just a teaspoon or so run into the tank so as to ensure no water is trapped in the ball valves or the short length of pipe associated with them.

As a last item, I also go back under the trailer and crack the two low point valves briefly to ensure that they run pink.

Couple of other things I did to our trailer to make life easier when winterizing ........

I replaced the drain plug on the HW heater with a simple ball valve - a whole lot easier than trying to to get at the plug - at least the way my water heater is designed!

I found that the crummy plastic drain valve on the fresh water tank was so stiff to operate (and eventually the handle broke off!) that I left it in the open position, then ran a short length of hose from it to a new brass ball valve that I installed in a more accessible location.

I am always a bit worried about it getting snagged and ripped off, but so far it has been fine after several years use and is much easier to operate!

For what it may be worth - if anything!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My AS has a couple more low point drains that you may not have...just be sure all are accounted for.

Dont forget the exterior shower...ran pink through them as well...I open all receptacles to purge any residual water and until out comes pink.

Other point...I read on here that mixing the pink stuff with tank chemicals for black tank is a bad idea...forget what happens as a possibility, but at least recall some issues there...so research that and avoid it..

"I found that the crummy plastic drain valve on the fresh water tank was so stiff to operate (and eventually the handle broke off!) that I left it in the open position, then ran a short length of hose from it to a new brass ball valve that I installed in a more accessible location."

THANK YOU...I am going to do this mod...I HATE that valve.

I think I installed a winterization kit...its a T looking valve that lets you simply connect your clear hose, turn a valve, then pump in the stuff. I used a larger plastic container with about 2.5 gallons of the pink stuff dumped into it for continuous no hassle fill of all the areas.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Last year I just blew compressed air through my city water connection after draining out all the lines and water tank. It was time consuming doing it by myself because I could attach the air hose on permanently. The trailer survived temperatures down in the single digits. This winter I'm going to get another fitting with a length of hose and attach that to the input side of the Aquajet and pump RV antifreeze to all faucets then dump a gallon down each to the black and grey water tanks. I took the TV out and any bath sundries that might not like cold weather.

If I can find a fitting I can screw an air hose onto the city water connection and then set the air pressure to about 50lbs I might continue using the air method.

Kelvin
Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Last year I just blew compressed air through my city water connection after draining out all the lines and water tank. It was time consuming doing it by myself because I could attach the air hose on permanently. The trailer survived temperatures down in the single digits. This winter I'm going to get another fitting with a length of hose and attach that to the input side of the Aquajet and pump RV antifreeze to all faucets then dump a gallon down each to the black and grey water tanks. I took the TV out and any bath sundries that might not like cold weather.

If I can find a fitting I can screw an air hose onto the city water connection and then set the air pressure to about 50lbs I might continue using the air method.

Kelvin
I was thinking of a way to do this solo as well and did a quick search. Found this. May work. I am thinking of ordering it.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I believe it was in the last Blue Beret to put 1/2 cup vegetable oil in toilet to keep the seal from drying out. I know in the past my Antifreeze was evaporated in the toilet bowl so I will be trying this.

Gary
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
It sounds like you guys are talking about one of these??? You can get them at Amazon, camping world, some walmarts......Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412291051.289039.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	223402

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Camco blow out plug

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XL..._SY115&simLd=1

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
Adapter

Good info here and the video is much appreciated Subzero.

I picked up the Air Compressor to Male Garden Hose Adapter from the folks at "Lawn Aerator Attachment."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-05_084308.png
Views:	123
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	223662  
Old 10-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
vegetable oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I believe it was in the last Blue Beret to put 1/2 cup vegetable oil in toilet to keep the seal from drying out. I know in the past my Antifreeze was evaporated in the toilet bowl so I will be trying this.

Gary
Thanks for sharing this great tip!