Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
How cold before winterizing?

I live in south central PA and we are expecting the first frost this weekend. It is expected to be 30 degrees at night and in the 50's during the day. Is it necessary to winterize with these temperatures? BTW it is sitting outside.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
With no wind, you should be fine if you leave the heat on low (50 or so) for insurance. Even without the heat prob OK. Any wind at all, or a lower temperature, would change the equation. Like the weakest link in a chain defining its strength, you might start to think about where your coach's water might freeze first. Outdoor shower? Drain for potable water tank?

Do you have heaters for your holding tanks, and how full are the tanks? A full tank of waste at 50 degrees is a powerful source of radiant heat, if we can shift our thinking a bit, at least for one night. Ditto for a full tank of fresh water.

For peace of mind you might consider buying some remote temp. sensors which send their readings to a master base unit. One in an exterior storage area, one in the coach under the sink, and maybe one under the bath sink? I got some last winter to monitor my house's water pump room and crawl space, and the peace of mind was great! Amazon price was about $30 as I recall -- will post a link later today if you wish.

Good luck!

PS leave the hot water heater on also for insurance, and make sure you have a decent supply of propane.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I live in Western PA. Once the forecast is in mid - to low 30's I winterize. I blow lines and then add two gallons of anti-freeze. A pain, but much less of one than having a line freeze. If we use the AS after this procedure I de-winterize and then winterize again after use. Wind has nothing to do with ambient temperature, wind chill is only on human skin. However, if there are areas where wind can get to a line, ie outside shower then that will allow cold temps to freeze the lines. I don't know how to winterize the outside shower by itself so I do the whole trailer.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
In Mississippi we face this decision about a month later than you folks up north. If I know I am not going camping for a while and the weather is getting into the 30's I go ahead and blow out my lines. Why, because sometimes the weather will turn very cold vey fast and it is always when I am gone or don't have time to work on the trailer. Also, it is much nicer to do it on a 50 degree day than a windy, cold and wet 30 degree day.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I don't worry much about winterizing until we start seeing overnight lows forecast in the upper 20's.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For peace of mind you might consider buying some remote temp. sensors which send their readings to a master base unit. One in an exterior storage area, one in the coach under the sink, and maybe one under the bath sink? I got some last winter to monitor my house's water pump room and crawl space, and the peace of mind was great! Amazon price was about $30 as I recall -- will post a link later today if you wish.

Good luck!

PS leave the hot water heater on also for insurance, and make sure you have a decent supply of propane.

If you have a chance to post that link that'd be great.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Here in OK, SOB and AS owners are advised to winterize by Oct. 1. Farmer's Almanac is pretty good in predicting weather too.
I was also told, even if your Airstream is stored in a heated storage, still winterize it.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
If you have a chance to post that link that'd be great.
Here is the base unit, for which you order as many sensors as you want (max. 3):

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...FT6KXYJNVFVW90

Pretty reasonable price for the peace of mind. Sync'ing the remotes has to be done all at one sitting, and the instructions are not perfect, but it is pretty simple. They have online instructions too, as I lost my original instructions and had to set up the system at a new house recently.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks for the link!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'm going to winterize November 1. I will be attending the rally in Branson that weekend. I'll have access to full hookups. I'll take my air compressor and a few gallons of antifreeze. I'll leave the water tank valve open and the remaining water can drain out of the tank on the tow home. Doubt I'll use it again until spring .

Kelvin
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If you live in a climate where you know it's going to have to be done, more than likely, it would be better to do it some warm day, before you have a very cold night..

It sorta takes the worry out of it.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Debbstr

2005 25' International CCD
Four Oaks , North Carolina
Thanks for the information, I just ordered one.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
With no wind, you should be fine if you leave the heat on low (50 or so) for insurance. Even without the heat prob OK. Any wind at all, or a lower temperature, would change the equation. Like the weakest link in a chain defining its strength, you might start to think about where your coach's water might freeze first.
How does wind come into play?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Peace of mind? Temp sensors? Seems to me, temp sensors would be like a radar detector in your car (or TV): All they tell you is how fast (cold) you were when you got caught!

This guy in Alaska says "it got down to 25 last night"; time to wintertize the Airstream.

https://youtu.be/2BNbEAGFPt4