Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
How cold before winterizing?

I live in south central PA and we are expecting the first frost this weekend. It is expected to be 30 degrees at night and in the 50's during the day. Is it necessary to winterize with these temperatures? BTW it is sitting outside.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
With no wind, you should be fine if you leave the heat on low (50 or so) for insurance. Even without the heat prob OK. Any wind at all, or a lower temperature, would change the equation. Like the weakest link in a chain defining its strength, you might start to think about where your coach's water might freeze first. Outdoor shower? Drain for potable water tank?

Do you have heaters for your holding tanks, and how full are the tanks? A full tank of waste at 50 degrees is a powerful source of radiant heat, if we can shift our thinking a bit, at least for one night. Ditto for a full tank of fresh water.

For peace of mind you might consider buying some remote temp. sensors which send their readings to a master base unit. One in an exterior storage area, one in the coach under the sink, and maybe one under the bath sink? I got some last winter to monitor my house's water pump room and crawl space, and the peace of mind was great! Amazon price was about $30 as I recall -- will post a link later today if you wish.

Good luck!

PS leave the hot water heater on also for insurance, and make sure you have a decent supply of propane.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I live in Western PA. Once the forecast is in mid - to low 30's I winterize. I blow lines and then add two gallons of anti-freeze. A pain, but much less of one than having a line freeze. If we use the AS after this procedure I de-winterize and then winterize again after use. Wind has nothing to do with ambient temperature, wind chill is only on human skin. However, if there are areas where wind can get to a line, ie outside shower then that will allow cold temps to freeze the lines. I don't know how to winterize the outside shower by itself so I do the whole trailer.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
In Mississippi we face this decision about a month later than you folks up north. If I know I am not going camping for a while and the weather is getting into the 30's I go ahead and blow out my lines. Why, because sometimes the weather will turn very cold vey fast and it is always when I am gone or don't have time to work on the trailer. Also, it is much nicer to do it on a 50 degree day than a windy, cold and wet 30 degree day.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I don't worry much about winterizing until we start seeing overnight lows forecast in the upper 20's.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For peace of mind you might consider buying some remote temp. sensors which send their readings to a master base unit. One in an exterior storage area, one in the coach under the sink, and maybe one under the bath sink? I got some last winter to monitor my house's water pump room and crawl space, and the peace of mind was great! Amazon price was about $30 as I recall -- will post a link later today if you wish.

Good luck!

PS leave the hot water heater on also for insurance, and make sure you have a decent supply of propane.

If you have a chance to post that link that'd be great.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Here in OK, SOB and AS owners are advised to winterize by Oct. 1. Farmer's Almanac is pretty good in predicting weather too.
I was also told, even if your Airstream is stored in a heated storage, still winterize it.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
If you have a chance to post that link that'd be great.
Here is the base unit, for which you order as many sensors as you want (max. 3):

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...FT6KXYJNVFVW90

Pretty reasonable price for the peace of mind. Sync'ing the remotes has to be done all at one sitting, and the instructions are not perfect, but it is pretty simple. They have online instructions too, as I lost my original instructions and had to set up the system at a new house recently.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks for the link!
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm going to winterize November 1. I will be attending the rally in Branson that weekend. I'll have access to full hookups. I'll take my air compressor and a few gallons of antifreeze. I'll leave the water tank valve open and the remaining water can drain out of the tank on the tow home. Doubt I'll use it again until spring .

Kelvin
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If you live in a climate where you know it's going to have to be done, more than likely, it would be better to do it some warm day, before you have a very cold night..

It sorta takes the worry out of it.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
Debbstr

2005 25' International CCD
Four Oaks , North Carolina
Thanks for the information, I just ordered one.
Debbstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
With no wind, you should be fine if you leave the heat on low (50 or so) for insurance. Even without the heat prob OK. Any wind at all, or a lower temperature, would change the equation. Like the weakest link in a chain defining its strength, you might start to think about where your coach's water might freeze first.
How does wind come into play?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Peace of mind? Temp sensors? Seems to me, temp sensors would be like a radar detector in your car (or TV): All they tell you is how fast (cold) you were when you got caught!

This guy in Alaska says "it got down to 25° last night"; time to wintertize the Airstream.

https://youtu.be/2BNbEAGFPt4
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
How does wind come into play?
Please forgive the inexact science to come --

As paiceman said earlier, wind is normally associated with the Wind Chill Factor. The reason wind is relevant is that, for both human skin and trailers, wind causes heat to leave the warmer object (human skin, trailer pipes) at a faster rate than in still air. In 30 degree air all objects will eventually get to 30, no matter what temp they started out at. With a wind blowing on them, they will get to 30 more quickly, that's all. Change the air temp to 10 Fahrenheit , and the accelerated cooling can be profound in a strong wind, to which our facial skin can attest! [apologies to Winston Churchill . . . ]

I forget the physics of it, but the differential between the air temp and object temp also affects the rate at which heat leaves the object.

Then there is the other affect of wind, also mentioned earlier, that it can force cold air through gaps and holes, and drive the cold into the coach's innards and pipes, which are no longer protected in an airtight cocoon. In a strong wind, the blast of air leaving a pinhole air leak actually is cooler than the air that entered the pinhole, if only by a small amount. [like the air leaving a tire valve as it drops in pressure]

The net conclusion is that wind can escalate the affect of cold air in unexpected ways.

Thus endeth this imprecise windy matter . . .
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Please forgive the inexact science to come
Inexact, but certainly close enough for Government work. I used to work for the Government, so I should know. Building on what you said…

Wind chill only affects things with a warm-blooded metabolism, meaning they generate their own heat. That includes a trailer while you're camping in it and have the furnace on. It does not include a winterized trailer that is stored with the furnace off.

Here's an example that I think clearly illustrates the effect of wind chill. Looking at the National Weather Service's wind chill chart, if the outside temperature is 35°F— above freezing— and there was a 20mph wind, the wind chill is 24°F, below freezing. So would your plumbing freeze? No. Regardless of the wind chill, 35°F is still above freezing and your pipes will not freeze.

So where does wind chill make a difference? If you were going camping instead of winterizing, the amount of propane you would use to keep the trailer warm with an outside temperature of 35°F with a 20mph wind would be the same as if the temperature was 24°F with no wind.

Living along the Gulf Coast as I do, the case where the temperature is above freezing but the wind chill is below freezing happens on a semi-regular basis in most winters, which is why I use it as my example.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I prefer not to take any chances! We don't normally do any camping after mid September until we head south early in the new year, so as soon as we take that last September trip, I winterize - then I don't have to watch the weather and worry - as I otherwise would!

Likewise, when we return from our winter trip, I generally winterize it again as we could still get a cold snap in April where we live. Probably not cold enough and long enough to do harm, but I worry a lot!

Probably no need for me to do that really, but for a couple of gallons of antifreeze and half an hours work, it is worth it for me just for peace of mind - especially since our trailer is stored about a half hour further north from where we live!

Brian.

Having said that I would be pretty sure that if the temp dips to 30F just for a couple f hours overnight, you "Should" have no worries!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the nice illustration, Protagonist . . . well said.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Personnally if there is any concern on the temp dropping below freezing why take the chance. $20 for a few gallons of RV Antifreeze pumped throughout the plumbing system seems like cheap insurance to me. Or better yet just blow out the lines with compressed air. Like paiceman, I did both this past weekend.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like to winterized my trailer while it is nice outside,like 50 degrees, I have done it at 20 degrees and snowing with a wind , didn't like that very much...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote