Old 10-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
How does wind come into play?
Please forgive the inexact science to come --

As paiceman said earlier, wind is normally associated with the Wind Chill Factor. The reason wind is relevant is that, for both human skin and trailers, wind causes heat to leave the warmer object (human skin, trailer pipes) at a faster rate than in still air. In 30 degree air all objects will eventually get to 30, no matter what temp they started out at. With a wind blowing on them, they will get to 30 more quickly, that's all. Change the air temp to 10 Fahrenheit , and the accelerated cooling can be profound in a strong wind, to which our facial skin can attest! [apologies to Winston Churchill . . . ]

I forget the physics of it, but the differential between the air temp and object temp also affects the rate at which heat leaves the object.

Then there is the other affect of wind, also mentioned earlier, that it can force cold air through gaps and holes, and drive the cold into the coach's innards and pipes, which are no longer protected in an airtight cocoon. In a strong wind, the blast of air leaving a pinhole air leak actually is cooler than the air that entered the pinhole, if only by a small amount. [like the air leaving a tire valve as it drops in pressure]

The net conclusion is that wind can escalate the affect of cold air in unexpected ways.

Thus endeth this imprecise windy matter . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Please forgive the inexact science to come
Inexact, but certainly close enough for Government work. I used to work for the Government, so I should know. Building on what you said…

Wind chill only affects things with a warm-blooded metabolism, meaning they generate their own heat. That includes a trailer while you're camping in it and have the furnace on. It does not include a winterized trailer that is stored with the furnace off.

Here's an example that I think clearly illustrates the effect of wind chill. Looking at the National Weather Service's wind chill chart, if the outside temperature is 35F— above freezing— and there was a 20mph wind, the wind chill is 24F, below freezing. So would your plumbing freeze? No. Regardless of the wind chill, 35F is still above freezing and your pipes will not freeze.

So where does wind chill make a difference? If you were going camping instead of winterizing, the amount of propane you would use to keep the trailer warm with an outside temperature of 35F with a 20mph wind would be the same as if the temperature was 24F with no wind.

Living along the Gulf Coast as I do, the case where the temperature is above freezing but the wind chill is below freezing happens on a semi-regular basis in most winters, which is why I use it as my example.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I prefer not to take any chances! We don't normally do any camping after mid September until we head south early in the new year, so as soon as we take that last September trip, I winterize - then I don't have to watch the weather and worry - as I otherwise would!

Likewise, when we return from our winter trip, I generally winterize it again as we could still get a cold snap in April where we live. Probably not cold enough and long enough to do harm, but I worry a lot!

Probably no need for me to do that really, but for a couple of gallons of antifreeze and half an hours work, it is worth it for me just for peace of mind - especially since our trailer is stored about a half hour further north from where we live!

Having said that I would be pretty sure that if the temp dips to 30F just for a couple f hours overnight, you "Should" have no worries!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the nice illustration, Protagonist . . . well said.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Personnally if there is any concern on the temp dropping below freezing why take the chance. $20 for a few gallons of RV Antifreeze pumped throughout the plumbing system seems like cheap insurance to me. Or better yet just blow out the lines with compressed air. Like paiceman, I did both this past weekend.
Sometimes I pretent to be Normal....
but it gets boring, so I go back to being me
LivLoveLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like to winterized my trailer while it is nice outside,like 50 degrees, I have done it at 20 degrees and snowing with a wind , didn't like that very much...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I'm with Wingeezer. We winterize right after the last trip of the summer usually. I was a little later this year but winterized 2 weekends ago. With the original lines from 1979, I don't want to take any chances. I wish I had replaced the water lines when I had the inside stripped. In the last 8 years, I have had 3 years with leaking lines in the Spring that I had to patch/replace. The first was the Aqua V sprayer that I didn't think about the first winter.
Tadd, Beth, Grundgetta and Weeble
Our blog
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Wind increases the rate of conductive heat loss, so if the temp is below freezing, the chance of freeze damage increases. Wind also allows air movement through many types of insulation.
MitchR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
On our trip home from the dealer in Oct. 2013 we winterized at -10F in Dawson Creek, BC after un-seasonable cold spell hit. Don't recommend that 😀but all was fine in the spring.
"When you find yourself in a hole - quit digging!"

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, Dodge 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 6 spd manual
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I live in Newport, PA and I have winterized.. nicer to do when not freezing don't forget the two little low point drains.

better safe than sorry

EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
We're in Toronto, here, and the typical time for winterizing seems to be just after Canadian thanksgiving (which was last weekend)

We brought the trailer into the city the weekend before & did a wash / wax on everything, plus any other little repairs/ maintenance we identified (hinges, locks, etc).

Took her out for the last trip of the year for us, and did final winterizing on site. Blew out the lines best we could (our larger portable air compressor needs a repair on its switch, unfortunately, and the one we brought just didn't have the tank capacity to blow out as much as we would have liked), then hooked a bypass right up to the water pump & put a couple of gallons of antifreeze through everything, dumping the remainder in the traps and on top of the toilet mechanism.

All in all it went fine, but I guess spring will be the test of our success.

Sad to see the end of our first season. Managed to squeeze in four long weekends between buying it mid-August and putting it away last weekend, and towed just over 1000km. I'm already starting to rough out what plans 2016 will hold, including our first longer trips.....
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Also, glad we did it last weekend! We're forecasting a cold snap this weekend. Just over freezing tonight, with tomorrow night's forecast dropping below freezing. First snowfall this weekend, potentially
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
A meteorological degree earned years ago - Wind Chill is only a measurement of the effect of wind on human skin. All other statements in this thread, however, do have relevance and should be considered. But as far as temperature is concerned if it's 32* F outside it's 32*F regardless of wind velocity, except on human exposed skin.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I live in Newport, PA and I have winterized.. nicer to do when not freezing don't forget the two little low point drains.

better safe than sorry

I'm curious how the low point drains work. Mine look like a couple of tubes coming out of the pan. No visible valve. Thanks

TimeForFun is offline   Reply With Quote