Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hot/Dry vs. "cool/wet"

So some time back I got a dehumidifier for my airstream to use. I use 15am only from home at this point (will get the 50amp setup in the coming 6-9 months or so) and it seems to run fine with that.

My question is:

I live in Alabama. My strategy right now is to close up the airstream entirely and run the dehumidifier and keep it at 50% humidity inside the airstream.

Is it better to be hot in that thing when stored at my house all summer with no air flow but DRY?

I think when I first plugged in the unit, it read humidity at like 75% so it seems intuitive that hot and dry is preferred...I guess?

It sucks out a full 30 pint to fill the unit about ever 2 days or so...

I also during my last drip to georgia with my wife brought it along and ran the unit at night along with my AC just to see what would happen.

Well, we got there at about noon on a friday, and ran the dehumidier all day and barely collected any water...but overnight while asleep (and temps dropped) it collected approximately 15 pints.

Its subjective and perhaps in my head, but running that unit along with AC seemed to make things even more dry over night.

Also, I ran it in the bathroom while showering and it made for no condensation around the shower...usually the aluminum interior skin around the shower tends to get all misty including around the overhead led lighting...didnt happent with the unit running along with the small exhaust fan running.

Happy Monday everyone

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You're thought process is correct IMO. Hot and dry is good. I do keep my a/c set at 85* since I got 30 amp service at home.
Humans give off about a quart of water a day just through respiration. So you're family sleeping with a dehumidifier makes sense. I run mine when conditions deem it. Especially in spring and fall when a/c doesn't run much ...and certainly in cold weather.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I borught it to GA as temps overnight were in 60-70 range, and always at this range AC only runs a bit...

also, quick question

my 15K AC unit PLUS the dehumidier at night..is that a problem on 30 amp only? I cut off the hot water electric in case and never had a problem...but I never did the math

Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The AC is basically a dehumidifier, There may not be a need to run both
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Rick...true, but the AC is qued to run by temperature...not humidity...

So when we camped in florida and it pretty much (more or less) ran all night then both would be pointless I would think...but when we were in GA, the AC would barely need to run at night....

Old 06-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You're thought process is correct IMO. Hot and dry is good. I do keep my a/c set at 85* since I got 30 amp service at home.
Humans give off about a quart of water a day just through respiration. So you're family sleeping with a dehumidifier makes sense. I run mine when conditions deem it. Especially in spring and fall when a/c doesn't run much ...and certainly in cold weather.
I will be getting my electric fixed up at home...I have not even considered yet running AC in summer months....that will be something I will have to think about for summer 2015 and beyond...

I never knew that little stat of a quart a day....I can tell you while I was washing my AS mid-day yesterday I gave off more than a quart (or so it felt)!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
There is a point when it is too hot & dry. Some of the snowbirds in my winter camp, Hope Az. seal up their units with pans of water when they leave in the spring. Too dry and the real wood interiors tend to dry out and split. Also the P-traps dry out and cause a smell.
As to my past camping in a tent sealed up, there has always been respiration moisture on the ceiling that may drip (soggy sleeping bags), venting is required.
Just a bit of info from a different geographic area, , ,
Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh I need not worry about t being that d but good point about the different locations

What what percent humidity is deleterious?

I keep the drains plugged and add occasionally a bit if water to keep p traps all full

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
All compressor refrigeration has a hot side and a cold side set of coils. A dehumidifier is a compressor refrigeration system.

A dehumidifier pulls air into it and passes that air over cold coils which cause water to condense out. Then that air is passed over the hot side coils where it is re warmed and then passed back into the room. The energy which is used by the compressor is added to the hot side coils, so the outgoing air stream is warmer than the incoming stream.

An AC unit does the same thing, that is remove moisture when the air runs over the cold coils, but the heat is rejected outside, not back into the room. But when the thermostat is not calling for cooling, no dehumidification is done, as the coils are not cold. So, a dehumidifier works full time to remove moisture, the AC unit only when it is actively cooling.

The added heat that the dehumidifier adds to the interior warms it up, and if run along with the AC unit simply adds to the load on the AC. Sometimes that is OK, especially when it is only moderately hot outside, forcing it to run more and thus remove even more moisture from the air. Sometimes, when it is really hot outside it simply adds excessive heat to the trailer and the trailer AC becomes even more stressed and has to run even harder.

There is no simple answer which works all the time. It depends on the many variables of the interior load, and the exterior load, both in heat and moisture.

In a humid climate, when the trailer is not being used, running the dehumidifier and having it keep the interior dryer, but warmer than it would be without running it, is probably a good policy.

When the trailer is being actively used, in most cases the regular AC unit will do more dehumidification than the stand alone machine, and usually (but not always) be the best way to go.

It is a semi complex thermodynamic problem in reality. Try different combinations and let your comfort be the guide to what works best for you in varying situations.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent - thanks

Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
my 15K AC unit PLUS the dehumidier at night..is that a problem on 30 amp only?
40%-50% RH is good.

I cannot put my hands on it right now but there is a good read on this with reference to AC units. It sort of relates. The AC is a dehumidifier. As it cools the first stage is pulling the moisture from the air while dropping the temp. If the temp drops too fast the thermostat will turn off the compressor and stop the extraction process leaving the coach cool and damp. The most common reason for this is too large a cooling unit for the space being cooled. There is a balance between cooling and dehumidifying with AC units - if there is a particularly high humidity still and it gets cold, the first reaction of a person is to turn the fan down- mistake. Keep the flow going but turn the thermostat down and therein is the catch- the relative humidity in the already cooled room.

Your running the dehumidifier with the AC takes a load off of it to run less motor and just fan as it will begin to cycle sooner. If a manual adjustment thermostat like mine, a correction is necessary. I purchased a Peltier type dehumidifier (small but low powered) and a silica gel EVA-dry to help during storage. It pulls about a cup per day. It uses 86 watts.

SPT Mini Dehumidifier with UV Light & TiO2-SD-350TI at The Home Depot
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hot/Dry vs. "cool/wet"

I had not thought about fan speed and dehumidification with the AC unit - interesting

I keep the dehumidifier on high fan speed

I also run a small fan when AS is stored on other side of trailer to keep air circulating a bit from one side to other

My unit is a GE 30 pint unit bought from HD - 160 bucks as I recall

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Yours is probably much better than a peltier- they are designed for sitting around with time to spare pulling out humidity. No quick action like a compressor unit but not near the power requirement either. It can be drained in the sink. I have noticed that the block adapter gets hot so I hang it from the key hooks by the door. There is a fan noise. I just read the reviews from others. Not good but I can say that it pulls humidity from my trailer at the rated removal level- bout a cup give a take an ounce.

ah, just learned of an additional type of dehumidifier. Heated desiccant that can pull up to 12 pints a day@80% RH. Arg, at 615 watts.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Cold and dry is best, warm and dry is ok. Warm and wet is bad.

For the sake of the trailer I would leave the dehumidifier running and figure a way to run a drain hose outside.

I had to install a dehumidifier to dry out a damp basement, it ran steadily for 2 weeks but once the basement was dry it hardly came on at all. I think your Airstream would be similar. Once it is dry the dehumidifier will seldom come on. Open cupboard doors and leave a fan running to circulate the air.