Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
Exclamation Help with winterizing

So I'm a new airstreme owner and just went to winterize, but fear I may have been too late. When I opened the valves in the trunk, apparently all the water leaked into the undercarriage instead of out the drain valve in the rear. What do I do now??!?!?

I've attached pics of the valves, the rear seam where the water leaked, and the front seam where it also leaked (the trailer wasn't level at the time).

Steve
snpotratz@hotmail.com
Attached Images

'72 International Overlander - 27' of happiness
WBICC #4453
Member-at-Large cause I don't know any better
snpotratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
to Late?

I cant beleive your to late, BUT You can always turn on the furnace to keep things warm while your winterizing. I am not sure about water leaking in to the pan???? suck it out with a shop vac or drill a small hole under it once it drains Caulk it I guess. I have never heard of this
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
All Is Well

Not to worry. When you drain the tank on your vintage it hits the belly first and just drains out. If you're not filling the lines as some recommend. Open all the faucets and all the valves - trunk and under the galley - jack the trailer up as high as the jack will allow and let her drain to the rear. Lower the trailer as much as possible in the front and do the same. Turn the belt on the water pump a few turns to clear it. Dump antifreeze in the sink openings and the tub and bath sink. Don't forget to drain the shower head and your hot water tank. Step down on the toilet and put a pop bottle in the opening to hold it open. Your good to go for winter.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
Phew

You are a relief Ganglin. I can't find anything in my manual about how to drain the hot water tank. I don't see any type of valve around it. When I turned the valves in the trunk, what exactly did that dump as opposed to the valves in the front? Also, the manual mentions putting compressed air in the lines to blow them out. Where do I blow into?
WBICC #4453
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You can buy an air hose fitting that screws into your shore water connection. I got mine at Wal-Mart for a couple off dollars. Open the drain valves connect the air hose (tire valve connection). You should, of course, have drained as much of all the water from the system first. The compressed air should evacuate most of what is left...even the hot water tank.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpotratz
You are a relief Ganglin. I can't find anything in my manual about how to drain the hot water tank. I don't see any type of valve around it. When I turned the valves in the trunk, what exactly did that dump as opposed to the valves in the front? Also, the manual mentions putting compressed air in the lines to blow them out. Where do I blow into?
Your hot water heater has a drain plug. Remove it and open the relief valve to provide a vent path. The hot water heater will drain. It's good to do this anyway to get all the calcium and magnesium out that has collected in the bottom of the tank.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
Where is it?

Where do I find the drain plug on the water heater?
WBICC #4453
Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The drain plug for the water heater is in the street side access panel at the rear of the trailer -on the outside of the trailer - open the access door - you'll see what looks like a T sticking out at you with a hole in the top of the T. Turn that counter clockwise and the tank will drain.

If you use air pressure to blow out the lines get the fitting recommended above. Drain the lines and turn the trailer water pump first - as above. Close all the valves/spigots and the hot water tank drain. Don't have the pop bottle in the toilet yet. Make sure the switch on the shower head is open but the tub knob is closed. Drop the shower head down into the tub so it will drain. Make sure the shut off valve to the toilet is open.

Hook up an electric air pump to the fitting on the incoming water line and let the pressure build to 40 PSI - don't let it go above 50 PSI. A helper is good at this point. Systematically open the the spigots in the bath and galley as well as stepping on the toilet release one at a time- do each twice for safety - or until you see no more water being released.

Remember that Airstream season will be here again soon and smile...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Don't forget the toilet sprayer and put anti freeze or windshield washer down all the traps.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
this thread may help. pictures too!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...eeze-7222.html

john
Old 10-11-2006, 05:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
...Step down on the toilet and put a pop bottle in the opening to hold it open. Your good to go for winter.
Why does the toilet valve need to be kept open?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why does the toilet valve need to be kept open?
I was told so water left in the valve seat won't freeze and damage it. Vern told me that when I bought my trailer. I crush a soda can and attach string to it tied off somewhere so the can won't fall into the black tank.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My '74 owners manual detailed the winterizing process as follows:

Open the forward hot/cold drains and lower the hitch jack until water stops draining. Open the aft hot/cold drains and raise the hitch all the way up until water stops draining. Repeat as necessary. This is a good recipe for broken copper pipe. I went to install a few new plumbing fixtures and the new copper bushings, ferrels and other components wouldn't fit because the outside diameter of the copper piping and tubing had expanded.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandcarla
I was told so water left in the valve seat won't freeze and damage it. Vern told me that when I bought my trailer. I crush a soda can and attach string to it tied off somewhere so the can won't fall into the black tank.
I flush all systems with the antifreeze so nothing has water in it any longer. I guess I've never had a problem keeping my valves closed because the antifreeze doesn't freeze.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
I think I found the "T", but....

Quote:
The drain plug for the water heater is in the street side access panel at the rear of the trailer -on the outside of the trailer - open the access door - you'll see what looks like a T sticking out at you with a hole in the top of the T. Turn that counter clockwise and the tank will drain.
Where does the water come out? Is it going to drain into the access panel or is there some out-spout (like that word?) underneath that I am not seeing?

And it appears rusted a bit...WD40 to loosen it?
WBICC #4453
Old 10-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The valve may be rusted a bit - just turn it with a set of pliers to the left. The water will run out of that valve - it will drain all over the place - that's OK. Spray the threads down with some silicone spray lubricant so it will be easier next year.

Steve your nearly as anal as I am - I like you already. Look at the posts above - there are two schools of thought that are both correct. Just do what A/S advised and a little more by using air to blow out the lines. Or, go all the way, cut a siphon line into your plumbing and go with the expense of filling all the lines with antifreeze.

I'm new to A/S but not new to trailers. If you need more help feel free to call me at 614-205-2925. Beyond that, there are people here that are trailer experts - please keep asking questions - you will get the help you need.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Blowin' 'em out....!

Hello all -

If you already have that air compressor sitting in the garage, then you likely have all, or nearly all, the parts needed for the "Blowin' 'em out" adaptor that fits into the City Water inlet. Just get that garden hose repair male fitting, add a few adaptors with a bit 'o plumbers tape and you are a water pipe blow out maniac!!! Seriously, using the around the garage stuff is great - and it frees up room for you to put MORE STUFF!!!! How cool is that. A 2-fer!

But serioulsy, blowing the lines out - really well! is terrific. Then add the anti-freeze to the drains and likely freeze spots and the like - Boom, finished. All will be well with your AS world.

Two fresh water flushes in the spring and you are off goin camping with no split pipe worries!

Enjoy!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Steve your nearly as anal as I am - I like you already.
I got a great laugh out of this Ganglin, thanks! I guess Anal retentiveness and newbie paranoia don't make a great combo do they? Here I was freaking out about the water and hardly any came out. I guess there wasn't much in there to worry about.

Thanks for all the help folks!
WBICC #4453
Old 10-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
We are planning on doing the air compressor "line blow out" this year and I was wondering why is antifreeze (AF) needed in the lines after you blow them out? It seems like over kill. I understand I will need to add AF in the traps after the blow out. What about the water displaced from the traps after adding AF -- do I have to blow out a second time to remove additional water in lines after filling traps with AF?

Will it hurt the black and/or gray tanks if some water is left in them or should both tanks be completely drained dry?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I wouldn't bother with blowing out. It won't get all the water out, no matter how much you do it. and it doesn't get water out of the pump at all. the only way to truly displace all the water in both the pump, and the lines, is to pump another liquid through the entire system...antifreeze.

the drain lines aren't a problem; they all slope adequately to the tanks. there aren't any little crevices and crannies in there, like in the pump. empty the tanks; then pump antifreeze through...whatever winds up in the tanks after this procedure is mostly antifreeze, so it won't cause any problem being in the tanks.

when I did the "blow-out-only" method a couple of years ago, I had a damaged pump to repair in the spring.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote