Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
If you're going the anti-freeze method, blowing the lines may be overkill. I do it because it's very easy to connect the compressor to the blow out fitting and get 98% of the water out. When the anti-freeze appears out each faucet, it's very pink and I'm not concerned about dilution. After all lines are filled with the pink, then I put windshield washer fluid in the traps because it's only 99 cents/gallon. It was 25 degrees yesterday morning, but I'm still hoping to make it out one more time before going pink.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Rochester , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I wouldn't bother with blowing out. It won't get all the water out, no matter how much you do it. and it doesn't get water out of the pump at all. the only way to truly displace all the water in both the pump, and the lines, is to pump another liquid through the entire system...antifreeze.

the drain lines aren't a problem; they all slope adequately to the tanks. there aren't any little crevices and crannies in there, like in the pump. empty the tanks; then pump antifreeze through...whatever winds up in the tanks after this procedure is mostly antifreeze, so it won't cause any problem being in the tanks.

when I did the "blow-out-only" method a couple of years ago, I had a damaged pump to repair in the spring.
I just finished winterizing our Bambi for the first time by following the directions in our Airstream owners manual, essentially the same procedure as described in john hd's post:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...eeze-7222.html
If you could be certain that all water was removed from the pump, valves, and fresh water lines, then anti-freeze is not required. But I found even repeated blow out cycles using a high capacity air compressor set at 60 psi failed to remove all water.
Airstream recommends using anti-freeze for added protection. I wouldn't, however, skip blow-out step. I suppose that the blow step could be skipped if you flush enough anti-freeze through the lines to be certain that it hasn't been diluted by water in the lines. But air is cheaper than anti-freeze and performing both steps seems like the best insurance against freeze problems.
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Mea Culpa

Some say that it takes a big man to admit his mistakes. I think it just takes a village idiot that's willing to learn.

Winterized today using the A/S method I posted above. Trying to be a purist as a relative newbie - if A/S says so in the manual....

I will never do this again. Does it work - yes. Is it a total pain - YES.

Did the up/down drainage and then blew the lines out with a high volume air pump (on sale a Pep Boys this week by the way). Over and over again with the faucets still blowing water mist on each release of air pressure. Will go with this - for this season only.

Next summer a new valve will be added to siphon antifreeze into the pump and into the all the lines.

Steve, glad you enjoyed the anal comment - looks like we are on the same plane. Please use lots of air on your lines.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin

I will never do this again. Does it work - yes. Is it a total pain - YES.
Actually the PAIN part for me is in the Spring when I have to flush - flush -flush and then flush - flush - flush to get rid of all the AF.

When I winterize, I actually pour the AF into my fresh water tank and then use the pump to push it through the whole system hence I use more AF than I would have to with John HD system. Next year we will look into to installing that special valve.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
thats the problem: putting AF into the fresh tank. Its really really hard to get it out. if its only in the lines, it flushes out quickly.

why wait to get the winterizing valve? do it now, there's plenty of time.

you don't actually "neeeeed" this kit, anyway. its handy, but you can accomplish the same thing by disconnecting the pump's intake line from tank, and sticking that directly into the jug of antifreeze. a temporary piece of 1/2 braided tubing with a hose barb can be used...depends on the relative inaccessibility of the existing connections. whichever way is easiest.

It might be a PITA, but not nearly as much as trying to flush AF out of the fresh tank in the spring.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Get a submersible pump. Put pump in bucket with hose attached from pump to city water connection. Pour AF in bucket. Start pump and open faucets. Only area of concern would be upstream of water pump check valve. I've used this method at the 11th hour when I didn't have the patience to disconnect the pump inlet and connect my adapter. The water pump was soooo buried under the cabinet.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Get a submersible pump. Put pump in bucket with hose attached from pump to city water connection. Pour AF in bucket. Start pump and open faucets. Only area of concern would be upstream of water pump check valve. I've used this method at the 11th hour when I didn't have the patience to disconnect the pump inlet and connect my adapter. The water pump was soooo buried under the cabinet.
now that is a good idea! i have seen some water pumps buried so far back in cabinets that getting to them is impossible without removing the oven.

john
Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Well I lucked out today..I went to do a final check on my pump for parts that I was going to need and found a three way valve already installed!! I have spent so much time reading on winterizing that I overlooked the obvious..what a Bonehead!! All I had to do was buy the 1/2" clear hose and plastic insert that screwed onto the 3 way valve and I was done. Blew out the lines with a little help from my son and bingo we had 3 gallons of antifreeze in the lines.

OK so I was lazy about getting the filter cap and just wanted to get this done so I pumped through my water filter..I have to get a new one in the spring anyway...Question...Does it purify the antifreeze coming out of that system cause I could not get any pink to come through..only what looked like clear water..is this going to be a problem?
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
is this going to be a problem?
nope!

john
Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Question...Does it purify the antifreeze coming out of that system cause I could not get any pink to come through..only what looked like clear water..is this going to be a problem?
I would personally remove the filter and draw more AF thru the line.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
I must be very lucky as all I do with my MH is use the air from the MH to blow out the lines and I run my pump at the same time to remove any water from the pump. I pour AF into the traps and thats it. I've never had any trouble in two years and it does get cold here in Mich.
My landscaper does the same thing to my underground spinkler system and it has never froze up either.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Fresh tank drain valve

Is it just me or is the fresh water tank drain valve hard to operate? the two line drains are srew type draincocks...radiator type. The fresh water drain valve is plastic and resembles the valve on a party ball. Mine is extremely hard to operate. Am I missing something? Subricate it with what and how? Will it infiltrate the tank when it is filled?
Thanks.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote