Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Red face Help winterizing

This is my first time winterizing my 2011 Bambi 22 Sport. Can anyone give me step by step tips. I prefer to use the antifreeze technique.
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Even with antifreeze you are better off doing a blow out first. You need to determine if you have bypass on the water heater. If you do, you need to turn it to bypass. Otherwise you need to buy enough antifreeze to fill the tank to allow antifreeze to exit the tank and fill the hot water lines. To blow it out open some faucets and use an adapter to blow air at 45 psi into the water intake. Open some more and get all the water out of the lines. You will need to also drain the fresh water and gray and black tanks. There are some low point drains that you also need to open. After you all the water is gone you need to close those drains and start pumping antifreeze into the system. I usually disconnect the inlet to the water pump and add a short piece of pvc which I can put into the gallon bottles of antifreeze. It usually takes at least a couple gallons including what you put down the traps. Open the faucet closest to the pump and continue till pink. then the next and the next, not forgetting the sprayer for the john and the john valve.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
I know there is a by-pass on the hot water heater.
This is what the manual says but it is a bit confusing.
Water Heater Bypass
For Normal Operation
Turn water heater by-pass valves to normal flow position. Open valves A and C, close valve B .
For Winterizing
Turn valves to By-Pass position. Close valves A and C, open valve B.
By-Pass Valve Location:
16 Ft. is under the roadside wardrobe hinged bottom shelf.
17 Ft. Sport is through an access door under the seat cushions on the roadside L-Lounge on the front of the water heater.
22 Ft. Front Bed model is accessed through a door under the mattress on the roadside bed or through its storage door.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As with most Airstream stuff you are going to get different opinions. The main idea is to get the water out of all low points, plumbing, tanks and drains. So flush out the system some don't, some blow out the system some don't, some use anti freeze some don't. To state the obvious this is RV, not auto antifreeze. Me, I prefer the cheap vodka technique to antifreeze. Works just as good, tastes better in the spring (and in the fall).
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
I like your Vodka suggestion, I suppose cheap tequila would do the trick as well, lol.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not complete instructions, but how I do it.
I blow out the lines with air first. I have an adaptor that lets me hook the airline up on a QD so I do not have to hold it. I drain the WH and put the plug back in. I drain the fresh waer tank. I run the pump until the line and pump are as empty as they get. I set the air on about 50 psi. Open one faucet at a time and leave open until only air is coming out. do not forget shower, toilet, and the toilet sprayer. After the lines are clear of most water I put 2 gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank and use the pump to fill the lines. Again starting at the longest line first open the faucet until I get a good flow of pink stuff. Then I put pink stuff in all the drains and some in the toilet bowl. I check the WH again and dribble a little pink stuff in it. No, I do not like the tast of pink stuff. But it washes out fairly well and we drink bottled water the first couple of trips while the lines and water tank are flushing.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Maybe I've just been lucky, but for the last two years I've been fine simply gravity draining my system--My lines apparently have enough drop in them. I use my Airstream a lot of weekends through the winter, so after each trip I....

Open drain adjacent to city water inlet
Open drain past city water inlet, just downstream of water pump
Remove cap from toilet valve and press pedal a few times to remove water
Drain water heater
Open low point drain for hot water
Open low point drain for cold water
Pour a cup of antifreeze in traps
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

2012 22' FB Sport
Burlington , Wisconsin
We, too have front bed. 22 ft bambi. We did the bipass, draining and air. We have all draining pink stuff except the shower. Clear water comes out. Is there another valve for the shower? We have used 4 gallons pink stuff so far. We are quitting for today. Any ideas?
mkro is offline   Reply With Quote