Old 02-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
HELP! Frozen Pipes!

I just bought a 2012 Sport and on the way home, temperaturs dropped very quickly and I was not able to drain the fresh tank and lines. LUCKILY, I was able to drain the water heater before the lines froze.

What I have done so far is
1. Drained Water Heater
2. Put RV Antifreeze in the toilet and black/grey water tank and dumped some in the sink.

The sink water wont run and the drain nozzels under the RV are frozen to the point, I cannot even turn them open. WHAT DO I DO?

Tempratures have been between -4 and 15 degrees here in Ohio, BUT I have two days of 33 degree temp today and tomorrow before the temp drops below freezing again.

adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Turn on the furnace and turn off the water pump. Use a hair dryer to warm up the drain valves and open all faucet valves so water will eventually drain.

See if you can find a garage or storage bay where you can move into and get some kind of heat source to warm above freezing. Once water is draining, invest in a 6 gal. air compressor or larger and blowout all lines and listen for air leaks. That's the short of it. Then search for "winterizing" on forums.

This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You won't know until it warms up if any pipes or fittings have broken. Fortunately the pipes are PEX and it is more forgiving of freezing than copper. The water heater tank won't break unless it is full. In fact, it is hard to fully drain and built so a gallon of so won't cause any damage. A light bulb (incandescent) puts off much more heat than light, so one or two under the tanks will provide some warming. If you can drape the outside, it will better contain the heat.

Keep an eye on it as it warms up to see if there are leaks. Once it warms up enough, you can attach city water (keep the pressure low at first) and see if you have leaks—places to watch for include the toilet valve (behind the toilet; shut off valve below it will stop leak for the time being) and the kitchen sprayer, two things novices forget.

If you bought it from a dealer it should have been winterized and you may be able to get them to fix problems. If from a private party, it should have been winterized unless you bought it in southern Florida, and you should contact them about the problem.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Run the furnace. Open all of the cabinet doors to warm the utility spaces. Including the pump space.
If you have access to shore power. Run space heaters as well as the furnace to get it really warm inside.
Check for leaks and broken fittings.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote