Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
LOCK...
Ok.. the 'locks'.. they can be 'replaced'.. however, a good 'flush' with WD40 and a hundred or so operations of inserting key, lock, remove key, reinsert key, unlock repeat... should 'free up' any 'trash' that might have gotten caught up in the tumbler mechanism.

If that doesn't work.. it is easy to replace... and replace both so you have a single key..

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all for your replies. The heating problem, if it can be considered a problem, is solved. Also, the problem with my lock was not the lock at all. The previous owner must have made some kinf of repair. There is a piece of metal screwed to the inside of the lip of the compartment right where the latch catches. So I just bent the latch out a little & now it works fine. Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Redmond , Washington
If i can sneak in and ask a question. Don't have the Airstream yet, a 23D Flying Cloud or International is in the works.

We have a detached garage (no insulation, no heat), that the AS will live in. It has a 30 amp RV hookup. I'll definitely be winterizing it (always did with boats), but should I keep the AS connected to the 30 amp to keep some heat in it or no?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If the systems are 'winterized', no worries.. except that you should consider pulling the batteries and put them in a non-freezing environment... and keep on charge..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by loberg View Post
This is what I've decided to do. I am going to blow out the water lines. That's it. I'm not going to put any antifreeze in them. Then I will leave the heat pump on full time & not use the furnace. I was told by several people that the little bit to no water that's in the holding tanks have plenty of room to expand if it freezes. So there's no problem there. The problem is the water, even if it's just a little bit, that gets left in the water lines. So blowing them out will take care of that. The traps in the drain lines are inside the cabin so they won't be a problem. So I should be good to go. Thanks for your support people. It is greatly appreciated. One more question, for now anyway, & it has nothing to do with the previous topic. There are two locks on the outside compartment at the front of the trailer. One of them keeps getting stuck in the closed position. Notice I said closed & not locked. All too many times I cant turn it to open the compartment even when it's not locked. I've tried spraying WD40 on it. It helps a tiny bit for a little while but it's still not working like the others. Should I just replace it? Is there a way to make sure that a new one will be keyed the same as the others? The last thing I need is another key.

loberg,

POI....

If your plugged in 24/7 for days/weeks at a time check your batteries, make sure they don't need water and aren't being overcharged. Airstream doesn't install a top quality converter/charger,(Parallax 73 & 74 series), it has a rep for burning batteries.

Try a pushing the knob firmly while turning, You can get it to open easier by bending the arm, but too loose and you risk a leak.

I prefer pushing and twisting rather than sliding and leaking.
A little silicone grease on the arm and latch also helps, handy item to keep in the AS tool kit too.

Bob