Old 12-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
If it got to 62 today, that would have thawed anything in the gray tank and/or pipes. You say you know there is water in there, the first thing I would do is remove the drain hose, and open the gray valve (that is the auxillary) The turn on the tap in the bathroom and the kitchen, and walk outside to confirm there is nothing running from anywhere. Hopefully, you will see it draining properly from the pipe to the ground. If it isn't, then insure it isn't draining out of the belly pan somewhere. If it is, that would indicate a cracked tank or drain fitting. If it is not draining anywhere with the water running into the drains and the handle pulled on the gray valve, then I suspect you have pulled your handle loose from the valve itself, maybe when it froze the other day? If that is the case, either you or a repairman has a pretty good job ahead of them. It is not an impossible one, however.
Good luck

2000 390 Landyacht XL
1989 29' Excella
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Are you getting any restriction when you pull the slide on your grey tank drain? From experience I can tell you that the pull handle can separate from the slide. If it's pulling too easy you may have to rebuild it.
On the anti freeze side we prefer Burbon here in the south. When you dilute it with water and add ice it really is nice!
Personally if I've got to put up with an after taste in my drinking water I'd rather it be something I prefer.
Propane is cheaper and if you insulate your plumbing exposure and open the cabinets on very cold nights you can set the thermostate very low and keep the cold at bay.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Alpine , Texas
Guess what, I wasn't looking carefully enough at my grey tank handle. There was a piece of the fitting on the outflow port which was in the way of completely setting the grey tank handle to "close," i.e. all the way in, and I didn't notice. So no, there was no water in it because it had been draining all the time. Therefore, when the handle was closed, the tank in fact did fill up and then when opened did in fact drain. False alarm!

jeff&jess is offline   Reply With Quote